05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replace the factory door subs

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/05, 12:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed out the stock speakers with two sets of 6x8 pioneer 3ways, man what a difference. no distortion at loud volumes. plus you dont have to turn it up that loud. great sound.
Old 4/8/05, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@April 8, 2005, 1:25 AM
I changed out the stock speakers with two sets of 6x8 pioneer 3ways, man what a difference. no distortion at loud volumes. plus you dont have to turn it up that loud. great sound.
Kevin, did the Pioneers fit right in with no problems? Someone posted pics of the door 5x7/6x8 cutouts, and they said that the surface wasn't perfectly flat. Not sure if that's a problem or not...

Also, did you get wiring harnesses, or cut the factory wires?
Old 4/9/05, 09:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an update: I finished installing the driverside 8W3 sub last night. Pictures to follow. They sound MUCH better than stock. Actually, considering that I am driving them with the fairly weak factory amps, they sound better than I expected actually. The bass is louder and cleaner than stock. They just hit very nice. I have no doubt that these boys will tide me over until I can get around to installing a 12" 12W6V2 sub in the trunk. Of course, given that I have just entered the housing market, it might be a while...

I'll post more and better pics tomorrow gents.
Old 4/19/05, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by RRRoamer@April 9, 2005, 9:31 PM
Just an update: I finished installing the driverside 8W3 sub last night. Pictures to follow. They sound MUCH better than stock. Actually, considering that I am driving them with the fairly weak factory amps, they sound better than I expected actually. The bass is louder and cleaner than stock. They just hit very nice. I have no doubt that these boys will tide me over until I can get around to installing a 12" 12W6V2 sub in the trunk. Of course, given that I have just entered the housing market, it might be a while...

I'll post more and better pics tomorrow gents.
How about those pics? Can't wait to see it finished!!
Old 4/19/05, 05:46 PM
GT Member

[attachmentid=18431][attachmentid=18430]I did the same basically...here is with my Rockford Fosgate's pushed by Boston Acoustic amp...I have a 4 channel Boston coming that will push 5x7's JL Audio and crossover all in the doors and Boston 5x7 3ways in the rear deck
Old 4/19/05, 05:59 PM
Cobra Member

dallasmustang,

Sorry bud! I was going to take the final pics when I pulled the door panel off to seal the back hole (it's still open...) and I was going to do that last weekend. Unfortunately, due to me suddenly getting into the housing market (call from land lord that we needed to move out my July so they could rent the place to there nephew), I'm not sure WHEN I'll have free time to finish up the door panels.

On the bright side, we found out we were moving on the 8th, found a house we really liked on the 9th, viewed the house on the 10th, got the finanacing arranged on the 12th and won the bid (HUD forclosure home) on the 18th. And it has been NON STOP the whole time! If we can keep on schedule, we might even be able to close by early May.

Oh, and even without the center hole patched on the drivers side, the 8W3s sound SO MUCH BETTER than the stock speakers it is scary. I KNEW they would sound better. But I did NOT expect HOW much better they sound. Clean. Solid. Tight. Hard. All the things the stock speakers arn't.

Now, what REALLY stinks is that I have a brand new set of Polk Audio MMC6500 spekaers sitting in the trunck and I won't have time to install them (replacing the factory door speakers) for a couple of months!
Old 4/19/05, 06:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

oh man, I can't wait till I get my 8w3's in the there....
Old 4/19/05, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

You will LOVE them. Just be sure to get the V2D2 (dual voice coil, 2 ohms per coil) as that is the closest match to the stock speakers.
Old 4/20/05, 02:19 AM

Work in progress, update: some pics.
Old 4/20/05, 02:21 AM

Finally nearing completion! Waiting on installer to replace head unit... almost done. At least everything's working as is!
Old 4/20/05, 04:35 AM
GT Member

hey mc mstng,
how come you didn't have the crossovers put behind the door panels?
Old 4/20/05, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by RRRoamer@April 19, 2005, 6:02 PM
dallasmustang,

Sorry bud! I was going to take the final pics when I pulled the door panel off to seal the back hole (it's still open...) and I was going to do that last weekend. Unfortunately, due to me suddenly getting into the housing market (call from land lord that we needed to move out my July so they could rent the place to there nephew), I'm not sure WHEN I'll have free time to finish up the door panels.

On the bright side, we found out we were moving on the 8th, found a house we really liked on the 9th, viewed the house on the 10th, got the finanacing arranged on the 12th and won the bid (HUD forclosure home) on the 18th. And it has been NON STOP the whole time! If we can keep on schedule, we might even be able to close by early May.

Oh, and even without the center hole patched on the drivers side, the 8W3s sound SO MUCH BETTER than the stock speakers it is scary. I KNEW they would sound better. But I did NOT expect HOW much better they sound. Clean. Solid. Tight. Hard. All the things the stock speakers arn't.

Now, what REALLY stinks is that I have a brand new set of Polk Audio MMC6500 spekaers sitting in the trunck and I won't have time to install them (replacing the factory door speakers) for a couple of months!

RRRoamer,
Congrats on the new home! I'm looking at getting a house for the first time soon, and I'm not looking forward to how crazy it will be.

I don't own a stang yet (I'm waiting for the '06 w/shaker 500, maybe a Cali Special), but I'm a big into stereos, and I want to plan out my stereo approach in advance, and pictures like yours are a huge help, so thanks for sharing. I've looked everywhere for speakers that will fit the stock enclosure, but with no success. I'm thinking about fiberglassing, but it doesn't stick too well to the plastic. I may try heat-forming some ABS plastic around the driver - how well do you think that will work? How thick is the plastic (1/8", 1/4", etc.) of the enclosure?

The thing I'm most excited about with the new mustang is the presence of the 8"s in the doors - 6 1/2"s speakers just can't hit those kick-drum/low bass notes at high volumes without distorting. I think I may go with the 8W3s - JL Audio makes a great speaker!
Old 4/20/05, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Sonic Thunder@April 19, 2005, 5:49 PM
I did the same basically...here is with my Rockford Fosgate's pushed by Boston Acoustic amp...I have a 4 channel Boston coming that will push 5x7's JL Audio and crossover all in the doors and Boston 5x7 3ways in the rear deck

Sonic - did you fiberglass the doors the same way as RRRoamer? If not, what did you do? Nice setup - I bet those 8"s rock!
Old 4/20/05, 05:30 PM
GT Member

I glassed as well.very easy to do
Old 4/20/05, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

dallasmustang,

I would guess the plastic is about 1/8" thick or so. You are right, the fiberglass does not stick very well to the plasic. What I did on the driver side (and may have to do on the passenger side eventually) is to drill a series of holes around the edge of the opening AFTER I glassed the patches in from the front. Then, when I glass in the inside piece, the resin flows through the holes and locks the inner parts to the outer parts. This mechanical bond should make the patches MUCH stronger. Plus, just the fact that the plastic is sandwitched between the layers of fiberglass should give the part pretty good menchanical strength as well.

And you WON'T be disappointed with the 8W3s. You MIGHT be able to get the 8W6s in there, but you will be removing a lot more plastic to do it. It would be sweet though....
Old 4/20/05, 07:28 PM
Cobra Member

mc_mstng,

I'm glad SOMEONE finally found a good use for the door pockets...
Old 4/20/05, 09:23 PM

sonic... at one point during the install I had the crossovers inside, but the surfaces are very uneven and I had enough trouble not hitting the windows with the coaxes... I was afraid the xovers might eventually come loose. Besides, I had to show the McIntosh logo somewhere! (OK flaunt maybe). Rear speakers fit under original grills. The amps and rear crossovers are mounted to 3/4" mdf and once wiring is finalized, the bottom of the board will be hinged to the bottom behind the back seats: I'll be able to flip it up and hook it upright for visibility with the seats down, or fold it flat for ventilation with the rear seats up. Hehe. Should be sweet when completed (very soon) and, of course, more pics to follow. And yes, RRRoamer, door pockets aren't good for much else! LOL
Old 4/20/05, 09:30 PM

FYI... depending on forum, StangNet, Mustang Source, or Mustang Forums I've been "gotminenov04", "eric", or "eedwards". Re-registered to match my vanity plate, on order: MC MSTANG. [just slightly obsessed... LOL ]
Old 4/26/05, 11:30 PM

We heated the enclosure and used the woofer to open the chamber. Then trimmed the metal lip on the speaker basket so we could utilize the original grills & trim ring. After hooking up the wires we separated the grill from the original woofer using a flat blade screwdriver. Lined up the holes & used number 10 screws through the grill then the woofer into the door panel. Then the trim ring will snap back on. Used silicone to plug the oringinal bolt hole thet goes into the original speakers magnet followed by some tape so we could put the door panel back on. While the doors were off we used dynamat on the inside of the doors. We then installed the fosgate 5x7 components in the stock location. Followed by using a hole saw to make room for the tweeters.
Old 4/27/05, 05:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice setup! Are you using those punch subs with the stock amps?

Quick Reply: Replace the factory door subs