05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Remote Starting system?

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/06, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starting system?

Has anybody done this yet? I have the remote starting system I had taken out of my Lightning that I want to place in my LL Stang, but I'm just a little concerned. The shop I trust and go to say it will be they're first install in the S197 style but they don't think it will be too differant than usual. I'm afraid to be there first. Just wondering if anybody knows if will be much differant of an install than other Stangs of the past. In other words, should I be concerned?
I like the system in the summer even for those 100 degree days, when the top is up, and I can pre-cool the car. Of coarse they're awesome in winter too.
Input will be appreciated.
Old 5/24/06, 08:56 AM
GT Member

I've got a 2-way remote start system on my manual tranny '05 stang and have no problems with it. One thing is that you will need to get an extra key from Ford since they don't have an aftermarket module that will work with the Mustang passive anti-theft. They will embed a copy of the key hidden behind the dash.

The cheap(er) way to get a spare key is to just get the key cut by your dealer's parts department and program it yourself. The manual explains how to do it and it's easy as long as you have two currently working keys. If you are worried about having a copy of your key hidden in the dash, you can have the shop cut off the metal part of the key before hiding it (that's what I did). They only need the plastic part that has the transponder in it.

As far as I know, there were no problems with the installation and a year later it is still working perfectly. I love being able to warm up or cool down the car. It's also really cool to impress people by starting the car via remote.

-TRB
Old 5/24/06, 09:00 AM
mhk
Bullitt Member

No problems here with a Clifford system
Old 5/24/06, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ther system I have is a Valet. The installers said they'd need the 2 keys but would put in a modual thing instedof useing one of the keys. Does that sound good?
Or has everyone had to have a spare key used? I got and extra one cut the day I picked up the car.
Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.
Old 5/25/06, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchRedBeauty
I've got a 2-way remote start system on my manual tranny '05 stang and have no problems with it. One thing is that you will need to get an extra key from Ford since they don't have an aftermarket module that will work with the Mustang passive anti-theft. They will embed a copy of the key hidden behind the dash.

The cheap(er) way to get a spare key is to just get the key cut by your dealer's parts department and program it yourself. The manual explains how to do it and it's easy as long as you have two currently working keys. If you are worried about having a copy of your key hidden in the dash, you can have the shop cut off the metal part of the key before hiding it (that's what I did). They only need the plastic part that has the transponder in it.

As far as I know, there were no problems with the installation and a year later it is still working perfectly. I love being able to warm up or cool down the car. It's also really cool to impress people by starting the car via remote.

-TRB
I have stick as well and I have found most systems say for automatic transmission only.

I know I could just install one of those and be sure that I leave it in Neutral, but I also found a couple systems meant for stick.

Which system did you use? Anything you don't like about it? How does it know the car is in Neutral?
Old 5/25/06, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ARBO
Ther system I have is a Valet. The installers said they'd need the 2 keys but would put in a modual thing instedof useing one of the keys. Does that sound good?
Or has everyone had to have a spare key used? I got and extra one cut the day I picked up the car.
Thanks for the input, and keep it coming.
They told me they wouldn't need the extra key at first too, but then found out that they did need one. Bring the extra key with you just in case.

Originally Posted by AWmustang
I have stick as well and I have found most systems say for automatic transmission only.

I know I could just install one of those and be sure that I leave it in Neutral, but I also found a couple systems meant for stick.

Which system did you use? Anything you don't like about it? How does it know the car is in Neutral?
Mine is an Ultra Start (www.ultrastarters.com) and is a model that is meant for a manual transmission. It, like most other manual models I've heard of, requires a special shut-down procedure so that the system knows the car is in neutral. It isn't that complicated, but it makes sure that your car doesn't drive away on it's own.

1. set emergency/parking brake
2. put car in neutral
3. press brake pedal twice
4. remove key (car will still be running)
5. get out and shut the door
6. car will shut off

This puts the car in "reservation mode" which will enable you to start the car by remote. If you later open the door before starting it, reservation mode will be cancelled. If you need to get something out of the car but want to leave it in reservation mode, you just start the car by remote first then open the door and then shut it down by remote. I really like my starter, but you have to make sure that you don't push buttons too quickly in succession on the remote or it will get confused. I also love that it is a 2-way model too so that I can start it from my desk at work and get confirmation that it started.

Definitely do not get a starter meant for an automatic transmission. It is too dangerous to even try. I heard of another Mustang owner whose car was damaged by the dealer while being serviced because it started while in gear. Dont do it!

-TRB