05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Remote Start on Stick Shift

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/05, 02:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+February 8, 2005, 9:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 8, 2005, 9:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@February 8, 2005, 8:52 AM
He could have left it in Reverse. Plus when it starts, it jumps in the direction of which gear it is in. I have seen my buddy accidentaly start his jeep (in gear and without pushing the clutch in). It jump forward and smashed a bar-b-que grill against a tree and dented his bumper pretty good. The grill was flat.
Didn't think about it being in reverse, I always put mine in 1st when I park it. I just didn't think it could be going fast enough to cause $2200 worth of damage. But I guess it depends on what was hit.
[/b][/quote]

He backed up in to the corner of his brick house took out the back bumper broke the rear window and broke some of the brick on the corner of the building.

And yes He left it in reverse
Old 2/8/05, 02:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by t69r00p69@February 8, 2005, 10:42 AM
I think the newer ones are perfectly safe. They have the safety feature of the remote starter not activating unless the car is in neutral when turned off. I forgot the name of the company that sells it though

FIND OUT PLEASE!!!!!! lol
Old 2/8/05, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the folks that leave manuals in gear also do NOT use the parking brake (based on my experience with manual transmission drivers of course!). A lot of them do not see any reason to use the parking break if it is in gear. VERY bad habit to have if you are even THINKING about getting a remote start for your manual!

I would like to find a remote start that could perperly interface with my 05 manual and factory active security. I wouldn't mind the "must be in neutral and clutch disengaged for remote start to arm" at all. I just don't want to mess up my windows up/down from the key or remote stuff.

Any ideas folks?
Old 2/8/05, 02:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@February 8, 2005, 3:51 PM
Most of the folks that leave manuals in gear also do NOT use the parking brake (based on my experience with manual transmission drivers of course!). A lot of them do not see any reason to use the parking break if it is in gear. VERY bad habit to have if you are even THINKING about getting a remote start for your manual!

I would like to find a remote start that could perperly interface with my 05 manual and factory active security. I wouldn't mind the "must be in neutral and clutch disengaged for remote start to arm" at all. I just don't want to mess up my windows up/down from the key or remote stuff.

Any ideas folks?
I guess I am one of the rare ones that use the parking break and put it in gear. I had thought that it was common practice, I guess not.
Old 2/8/05, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL I'll take your side holderca1, I make sure to engage both when I get out of my vehicle almost religously.
Old 2/8/05, 03:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 8, 2005, 3:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 8, 2005, 3:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RRRoamer@February 8, 2005, 3:51 PM

Any ideas folks?
I guess I am one of the rare ones that use the parking break and put it in gear. I had thought that it was common practice, I guess not.
[/b][/quote]

Thats how i was taught, put it in gear and put the parking brake on. It must be a dying thing...
Old 2/8/05, 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

My dad used to get onto me if I set the parking brake on his manual tranny vehicles! Old farm boy and if it is good enough for the tractor, it is good enough for the Volkswagen....
Old 2/8/05, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

anyone find one yet? very interested in this!!
Old 2/8/05, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 94tbird@February 8, 2005, 6:49 PM
anyone find one yet? very interested in this!!
There's a billion of them.

Froogle Search

Google Search
Old 2/8/05, 08:35 PM

Clifford makes one. I posted about it. I have it. They have a safety shutdown procedure before you can put the car in remote start mode. People who installed a remote start system on a car without a safe exit procedure are ticking timebombs.

In order to place the car in remote start mode, you have to be in neutral, and not be touching any of the pedals....and not be moving. You set the parking brake, and press a button on the remote. The car goes into remote start mode, and you remove the key (car still running), get out, and arm the alarm. The car shuts off, and your car is set for your return.

When you are ready, you push a button and the car starts, idles just fine, and the alarm is still active. You disarm the car, and hop in. Place the key in the ignition, turn the car to on, and off you go. Since I have BlackJax installed (Clifford's anti-car jacking feature) I have to punch in my code on a hidden keypad before taking off or the car will die.

I have videos of this procedure, I'll be more than happy to post them if need be.
Old 2/8/05, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah and the parking break must be engaged as well for the remote starter to activate.
Old 2/8/05, 09:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@February 7, 2005, 7:02 PM
It is against the law to have remote start in a manual. Reason is that the clutch start lock is a federal safety standard, and cannot be removed. If you wanted it done, you need to find a shady mechanic somewhere.
My husband was the shady alarm installer and installed a remote start in his 88 about 10 years ago. All went well with it until "someone" stepped on the remote and a button was pushed...then the car was in the bedroom. Just make sure its not in gear if you do it. :nono:
Old 2/8/05, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Spreadman@February 8, 2005, 9:38 PM
Clifford makes one. I posted about it. I have it. They have a safety shutdown procedure before you can put the car in remote start mode. People who installed a remote start system on a car without a safe exit procedure are ticking timebombs.

In order to place the car in remote start mode, you have to be in neutral, and not be touching any of the pedals....and not be moving. You set the parking brake, and press a button on the remote. The car goes into remote start mode, and you remove the key (car still running), get out, and arm the alarm. The car shuts off, and your car is set for your return.

When you are ready, you push a button and the car starts, idles just fine, and the alarm is still active. You disarm the car, and hop in. Place the key in the ignition, turn the car to on, and off you go. Since I have BlackJax installed (Clifford's anti-car jacking feature) I have to punch in my code on a hidden keypad before taking off or the car will die.

I have videos of this procedure, I'll be more than happy to post them if need be.
Hey man if you can post the vid that would be great. also where did you get it?
Old 2/9/05, 05:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 8, 2005, 4:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 8, 2005, 4:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RRRoamer@February 8, 2005, 3:51 PM

Any ideas folks?
[/b][/quote]

I'm w/ you. I thought it was comon practice to set the brake.

I had a buddy in college who thought some one stole his truck one day while @ the store. He pulled up, went in to get a pack of smokes, came back out, truck was gone. He went frantic. Didn't know what happend, thought someone stole it. I pull up about less minute later and see him and say,
"Hey Frankie, whatcha doin here?"
he says,
"Man, somebody done stole my truck!"
I tell him that I thought I just passed him goin' down the road. I waved at you but it didn't look like anyone was driving. So we hop in my truck, go back down the road and sure enough, his truck had ended up in a pasture, down an embankment.

Moral of this story, set your parking brake.
Old 2/9/05, 05:45 AM
GT Member

Spreadman:

[/quote]

I'd love to see your video if your allowed to post it. If not, perhaps you could e-mail them to me. Thanks
Old 2/9/05, 07:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

or maybe we can find someone to host the video for us
Old 2/9/05, 07:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by slavehand@February 9, 2005, 7:43 AM
Nah, moral of the story is turn your wheels into the downhill curb.

I trust the gears to stay meshed more than I trust the brake to stay engaged. I always put it in gear. In warm weather I'll also use the brake on steep hills.
Old 2/9/05, 07:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think it worth the risk just say like when your doing nothing and it goes off through some interferance and a kid is walking past ! I could'nt live with that and the possibilities of that are there ! kinda like when your TV goes on by itself or the channel changes even some cell phones have done it . Something to concider.
Old 2/9/05, 07:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+February 9, 2005, 8:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondBlue @ February 9, 2005, 8:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-slavehand@February 9, 2005, 7:43 AM

I trust the gears to stay meshed more than I trust the brake to stay engaged. I always put it in gear. In warm weather I'll also use the brake on steep hills.
[/b][/quote]
My Mustang has yet to parked next to a curb, so that's doesn't help much. It's also easier to bump the stick into neutral than it is it to accidently disengage the parking brake. Haven't you seen Risky Business, that's how the Porshe ended up in the water, the stick got bumped.
Old 2/9/05, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+February 9, 2005, 9:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondBlue @ February 9, 2005, 9:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-slavehand@February 9, 2005, 7:43 AM

[/b][/quote]

Well this particular store doesn't have curbs. Just a huge 50'x150' sheet of asphalt w/ a nice little slope to it.

Quick Reply: Remote Start on Stick Shift