05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Remote Start on Stick Shift

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wasnt sure if this was interior or exterior mods but feel free to move it.

Is there a remote start system for a 5spd manual transmisison. i always thought that when you park the car must be left in gear with the ebrake on.
Old 2/7/05, 05:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll need to only set the e-brake and disable the clutch-interlock. Personally it's not worth it to me considering besides disabling 'safety' features, you're also messing with your cars wiring. Then again, I live in FL, but I remember what it's like scraping windows.
Old 2/7/05, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

actually I had the same question when I had my jetta....I called several places and found one place around me but they wanted 1200.00 for it not sure about who makes it but everywhere I called said that they never heard of it...
Old 2/7/05, 05:59 PM
Banned

It is against the law to have remote start in a manual. Reason is that the clutch start lock is a federal safety standard, and cannot be removed. If you wanted it done, you need to find a shady mechanic somewhere.
Old 2/7/05, 06:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some cars (my Jeep for example), you can disable the clutch-interlock by removing a fuse, it's in the owners manual. I'm sure it's nothing too hard even without the fuse, most likely you'll need to jump a wire. Once mine arrives I'll let you know how to do it. It'll be one of the first things I do, I've really gotten out of the habit of pushing it in.
Old 2/7/05, 10:13 PM

It's not illegal to have a remote start on a 5-sp. Clifford sells one, and I have it installed on my ride. There are several precautions built into the system to allow it to operate without hindering the safety of the car.

Most places won't sell it or install it because it's a pain to install, and they seem to think there's a legal problem, when there isn't.

I didn't have a shady shop do it either. Just a shop who knows their product, and has qualified installers.
Old 2/7/05, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

i was thinknig about doing this and have researched the law. it is NOT illegal however it does seem that not many places will do it because of the difficulty. also obviously the car cant be in gear. so if you park on a hill i guess your asking for more trouble. ull forget u left it in gear, remote start it and cause problems
Old 2/8/05, 07:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

i went to the guy at the ford dealer and he said that the remote starter accessorie option that is programed into your keypad, found on the ford accessories website is not available for manual transmissions, only automatics, I think its cause of the setting of the gear if left in gear by accident when you park the car and turn it off. But if there is a kit out there, I'd love to get one.....
Old 2/8/05, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@February 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
It is against the law to have remote start in a manual. Reason is that the clutch start lock is a federal safety standard, and cannot be removed. If you wanted it done, you need to find a shady mechanic somewhere.

I work with a guy who used to own an Acura Legend 5sp w/ a remote start as a factory option. He loved it and wishes he still had it.
Old 2/8/05, 07:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just a little story...

I had helped a friend install one in a honda civic. When we got finished. We tested it. It worked great and put his car in backwards into his house. (left it in gear) So his $800 carstarter/alarm cost him $2200 in damage on his car and house. But, It was funny

BTW we disabled it right after.

Just think about it
Old 2/8/05, 07:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sync007@February 8, 2005, 8:34 AM
Just a little story...

I had helped a friend install one in a honda civic. When we got finished. We tested it. It worked great and put his car in backwards into his house. (left it in gear) So his $800 carstarter/alarm cost him $2200 in damage on his car and house. But, It was funny

BTW we disabled it right after.

Just think about it
Why did it go backwards if it was in gear and how did it move anywhere to begin with, if it was left in gear I would imagine you would stall out since no one is pushing the gas pedal.
Old 2/8/05, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@February 8, 2005, 9:46 AM
Why did it go backwards if it was in gear and how did it move anywhere to begin with, if it was left in gear I would imagine you would stall out since no one is pushing the gas pedal.
Yes, I would imagine you would get the "bullfrog" effect and stall out since the engine idles after startup. :scratch:
Old 2/8/05, 07:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
He could have left it in Reverse. Plus when it starts, it jumps in the direction of which gear it is in. I have seen my buddy accidentaly start his jeep (in gear and without pushing the clutch in). It jump forward and smashed a bar-b-que grill against a tree and dented his bumper pretty good. The grill was flat.
Old 2/8/05, 07:59 AM
Banned

Maybe it isn't a federal thing then. I know for sure it is illegal in the state of CT. Not that a cop could really find out about it, but there was a shop in the area that got shut down because they were doing it. I'll see if I can find some links.
Old 2/8/05, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Kluski@February 8, 2005, 8:52 AM
He could have left it in Reverse. Plus when it starts, it jumps in the direction of which gear it is in. I have seen my buddy accidentaly start his jeep (in gear and without pushing the clutch in). It jump forward and smashed a bar-b-que grill against a tree and dented his bumper pretty good. The grill was flat.
Didn't think about it being in reverse, I always put mine in 1st when I park it. I just didn't think it could be going fast enough to cause $2200 worth of damage. But I guess it depends on what was hit.
Old 2/8/05, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

I think the newer ones are perfectly safe. They have the safety feature of the remote starter not activating unless the car is in neutral when turned off. I forgot the name of the company that sells it though
Old 2/8/05, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

It is an option that I wouldn't mind having. Save you the trip of going out to start your car 5 min. before you leave the house every morning. 'Cause some mornings are colder than others and some mornings, you are running late.
Old 2/8/05, 11:40 AM
Banned

I have the remote start on my 2005 mustang GT , and I LOVE IT!!!!!..........Everything about it is awesome. PLus I have the aftermarket alarm system, so when the car is started the alarm is still on. A great feature........no regrets!!

( I do the auto though)
Old 2/8/05, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a guy at work with one on his truck (mazda) 5sp. He left it in reverse and from his office hit the button. I didn't see it but people that did said the truck went accross the parking lot, down a 50ft embankment into the ocean. I did see the aftermath. Enviromental people were everywhere setting up oil booms. It was hilarious!
Old 2/8/05, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by cop on my back@February 8, 2005, 1:47 PM
We had a guy at work with one on his truck (mazda) 5sp. He left it in reverse and from his office hit the button. I didn't see it but people that did said the truck went accross the parking lot, down a 50ft embankment into the ocean. I did see the aftermath. Enviromental people were everywhere setting up oil booms. It was hilarious!
Don't these people engage their parking brake??? That's the first thing I do when I stop and park my car.

Quick Reply: Remote Start on Stick Shift