05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer Avic D3

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/07 | 04:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

For those who have the D3 installed...

A couple of questions for those that have this unit installed:

1) When driving with CD in disc drive, the Nav system is disabled but the GPS is still operational, correct?

2) Premise: Nav CD is in disc drive, and an IPOD adapter w/IPOD plugged in, is installed. While driving, can you switch from Nav screen to IPOD screen to search / change to different track music and then pop back to Nav screen fairly easily?

3) Does anybody have the Crutchfield install sheets in .PDF that they could either post online or send me?

4) Is back up camera only enabled when car is in reverse? (ie. can you switch to rear view while driving forward?)

My only intent with the install sheets is to see just how difficult the installation looks to determine if I should consider doing it myself, or having it professionally done. I've dropped a couple of aftermarket stereos in vehicles before (that I got from Crutchfield) but this may be different...

Thanks for any comments!
Old 10/27/07 | 09:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mach

1) When driving with CD in disc drive, the Nav system is disabled but the GPS is still operational, correct?

If you use a CD the NAV works and if you had a route set it will continue to guide you. The only thing you cant do is change the route without the NAV disc in the player.

2) Premise: Nav CD is in disc drive, and an IPOD adapter w/IPOD plugged in, is installed. While driving, can you switch from Nav screen to IPOD screen to search / change to different track music and then pop back to Nav screen fairly easily?

Extremely easy. If your in the GPS map you can hit the volume **** and go to either the radio or the iPod interface and change options from there. And if you have the parkbrake saftey system disabled you can do all Avic functions while driving.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 11/25/07 | 12:28 AM

I would love to get the Install PDF for the Pioneer AVIC if anyone has it
Old 11/25/07 | 04:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
I would love to get the Install PDF for the Pioneer AVIC if anyone has it
Jarrod, its on Crutchfields website. Just look up the unit, then on the left side, under the "recommended accessories" there is a link to "whats in the box". When you click on that, a link to the PDF file will appear. Before you print it, be aware, its 213 pages!! I looked at it this weekend at work, and only printed up the 8 pages that have the diagrams for each wire.
Old 11/26/07 | 09:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Eric, just placed my order and will have it by the weekend. I'll be installing it either Saturday night or Sunday morning. Once I get pics, I'll start a new thread with pics and any tips. Eric, if you get one, let me know. You don't live far from where I work/live and I'll be happy to help once you get one.
Old 11/27/07 | 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Eric, just placed my order and will have it by the weekend. I'll be installing it either Saturday night or Sunday morning. Once I get pics, I'll start a new thread with pics and any tips. Eric, if you get one, let me know. You don't live far from where I work/live and I'll be happy to help once you get one.
Thanks for the offer Jeff! I really appreciate it, however I have put my mod buying/spending money on hold until I get a speeding ticket which I got 2 weeks resolved and figure out exaclty how much it is going to cost me both for the ticket and insurance(hopefully I can get the judge/DA to remove the points and not have to worry about insurance). For future reference though I may very well take you up on that offer
Old 11/27/07 | 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
Thanks for the offer Jeff! I really appreciate it, however I have put my mod buying/spending money on hold until I get a speeding ticket which I got 2 weeks resolved and figure out exaclty how much it is going to cost me both for the ticket and insurance(hopefully I can get the judge/DA to remove the points and not have to worry about insurance). For future reference though I may very well take you up on that offer
Speeding ticket?? In a V6??? How????

Just kidding
Old 11/27/07 | 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Speeding ticket?? In a V6??? How????

Just kidding

Considering I actually switched lanes out from behind the trucks in front of me and was able to get up to 84mph in the process of passing them and then proceeded to get pulled over in my V6, I can only imagine what speed I would have gotten up to in a GT ( I would have been saying bye bye to my license which is 31+ over speed limit, I was going 29). So that is the one time I was glad I have a V6. Im hoping to get a GT once I get out of school, believe me I want one but I have my V6 now and I wouldnt trade it for any other car(well except maybe a GT ).
Old 11/27/07 | 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Don't sweat it dude, I'm willing to bet your V6 is as quick or quicker than my '92 five liter with automatic. Seriously.
Old 11/27/07 | 07:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mach

My only intent with the install sheets is to see just how difficult the installation looks to determine if I should consider doing it myself, or having it professionally done. I've dropped a couple of aftermarket stereos in vehicles before (that I got from Crutchfield) but this may be different...

Thanks for any comments!
I too would like the answers to your questions. My AVIC-D1 was recently busted up and I need a replacement and am eyeing the AVIC-D3.

I can tell you that if you've installed any stereo before then you should have absolutely no problems installing this one yourself. I installed my D1 with the bypass and a rear view camera in the trunk keyhole. You just have to locate the reverse wire, parking brake wire, and VSS I think (it's been a while). All those wire locations are documented here in the forum.
Old 11/28/07 | 06:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here is some usefull info for the D3 install!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=63901
Old 11/28/07 | 04:14 PM

Hey thanks Robbie... that should help a lot! ... I wish someone came up with idiot step by step pictures hehe... like plug this in...and there would be a picture of someone plugging it in. I do better with pics than words hehe
Old 11/28/07 | 04:54 PM

Just tracked my package.... the D3 arrives tomorrow!!! Thought it would be next monday and I would miss installing it this weekend...but it looks like Fedex is EARLY!! They are possibly overestimating transport time due to it being nov/dec. Cant wait!
Old 11/28/07 | 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
Just tracked my package.... the D3 arrives tomorrow!!! Thought it would be next monday and I would miss installing it this weekend...but it looks like Fedex is EARLY!! They are possibly overestimating transport time due to it being nov/dec. Cant wait!
Hey Jarrod, thats too funny. Your getting your tomorrow, while I just got mine today from Crutchfield. VERY COOL!! I even saw your post over on AVIC411.com. I'm going to attempt this install sometime Saturday afternoon. You should PM me your cell, and we can help each other out with the install.

Hey Robbie, thanks for the link. One question about the resistors. Are they necessary for a Shaker 500. I ask, as you listed them only for those who have the 1000 system? I'm not too good at soldering, so I am trying to avoid this if I can. The whold Posi-Products twist connectors or crimp connectors work for me. Let me know if I should definitely add the resistors.
Old 11/28/07 | 07:36 PM

Hey Jarrod, thats too funny. Your getting your tomorrow, while I just got mine today from Crutchfield. VERY COOL!! I even saw your post over on AVIC411.com. I'm going to attempt this install sometime Saturday afternoon. You should PM me your cell, and we can help each other out with the install.

Hey Robbie, thanks for the link. One question about the resistors. Are they necessary for a Shaker 500. I ask, as you listed them only for those who have the 1000 system? I'm not too good at soldering, so I am trying to avoid this if I can. The whold Posi-Products twist connectors or crimp connectors work for me. Let me know if I should definitely add the resistors.
I believe you will want the voltage regulator for the 500 as well...from what I hear you have the same problem with popping. Soldering is not nessecary but more effective in some cases than butt connectors.

jeff Ill PM you my Cell.... Going to try and get this install going Sat or Sunday... since my mustang club has a toy drive on sat its most likely going to be Sunday.
Old 11/28/07 | 09:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Word to the wise. Radio Shack +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator, this will keep your door subs from popping everytime you start the car radio.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=68371
Old 11/29/07 | 07:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by JonCo
Word to the wise. Radio Shack +5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator, this will keep your door subs from popping everytime you start the car radio.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=68371
Hey Jon, have you seen any posts that have a good picture on how to wire up the resistors? I'm not good at soldering AT ALL, and would rather use butt connectors or something equal. Do you have any pics on what the resistor should look like wired up? Thanks for the help.

Hey Jarrod, I got your cell. I'm going to do mine Sunday as well, as its suppose to rain in my area, so no driving the car that day (unless it clears up). I may start it Saturday evening, getting the HU wired up to the wiring harness.
Old 11/29/07 | 09:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

At the time I did the write up I wasnt sure but a few weeks I installed one in my dad's that had the shaker 500 and we DID need it with his as well so short answer yes. If you run into any problems with the install feel free to P.M. me and I will give you my cell # so I can walk you through if you need help.
Same for you to Grabber07'
Old 11/29/07 | 09:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Robbieg
At the time I did the write up I wasnt sure but a few weeks I installed one in my dad's that had the shaker 500 and we DID need it with his as well so short answer yes. If you run into any problems with the install feel free to P.M. me and I will give you my cell # so I can walk you through if you need help.
Same for you to Grabber07'
Thanks Robbie. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. BTW, have you seen any pics that you can post, or post links to, so I know what the resistor is suppose to look like all wired up? Thank you again for the offer to help out the install.
Old 11/29/07 | 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Robbie. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. BTW, have you seen any pics that you can post, or post links to, so I know what the resistor is suppose to look like all wired up? Thank you again for the offer to help out the install.
Here is a pic of the part but you probably checked it out already.
There is also some pics here for the bypass:
http://www.avic411.com/D3Bypass/album0.html
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Avic D3-d3_bypass_137-1-.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3