05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Pioneer Avic D3

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/07, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer Avic D3

Im going to be ordering this nav unit for my car soon and I am planning on getting it from crutchfield and doing the install myself. My question is, if I order this from crutchfield, does it include EVERYTHING I will need for the installation (wireing harnesses, nav antenna, etc.)? Here is a link to crutchfield and the unit I am talking about,http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FDmnHIk...=130AVICD3#Tab, I just want to be sure I am getting everything I need before I take my dash apart to install it. Thanks.
Old 8/29/07, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Eric, you must be reading my mod list , as I'm going to order this unit VERY shortly. When you order it, make sure you put in what make model and trim level your car is. And then click on the Free wiring harness and custom instructions for your make and model of car. They come with the unit only when you click on them. Thats why Crutchfield is the best. Also for install, I've read on here that installing Voltage Regulators is a good idea on the Shaker 500 systems (I just need to know how to install voltage regulator). Can anyone answer this?
Old 8/29/07, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Eric, you must be reading my mod list , as I'm going to order this unit VERY shortly. When you order it, make sure you put in what make model and trim level your car is. And then click on the Free wiring harness and custom instructions for your make and model of car. They come with the unit only when you click on them. Thats why Crutchfield is the best. Also for install, I've read on here that installing Voltage Regulators is a good idea on the Shaker 500 systems (I just need to know how to install voltage regulator). Can anyone answer this?
It seems like a really good unit, and at a really good price too. I was going to do the Factory Nav, but then read about alot of problems with it and then one of the members here (JonCo) turned me on to this system. I see the option for all the harnesses, wiring and instructions now, but what about the nav antenna? I dont see that listed on what is included or an option to include it. Again, I might be being overly **** about this but I just want to make sure I get everything. Ill second your question on the voltage regulators as well, how exactly do you install them?
Old 8/29/07, 10:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my AVIC-D3 installed at Circuit City(got a good deal). Anyways everything should be included with the NAV/DVD unit in box. When I bought all I bought was the D3 unit itself and harnesses etc which Crutchfield sends you for free.

As far as the voltage regulator TacoBill shows how-to (http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=68371) and Hags1(http://www.hagshouse.com/My%20Mustan...ead%20Unit.pdf). Anyways you'll need this to avoid and irritating popping sound when you turn the headunit on.

From what I read and what I was told this unit has a "learning" process which it goes through. Takes several hundred miles to work top notch. I reccommend reading through the handbook to explain more about that.

I've had mine installed for about 3-4 weeks. Still love it. I HIGHLY reccomend the iPod interface.

Send me a PM if you come up with any other questions.

EDIT: Wow... I went to see what the unit was selling for on Crutchfield... Wow. All I can say. Your getting a VERY good deal. Nearly as good as the deal i got. Nice find
Old 9/2/07, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

So has anyone installed this system themselves? Im still debating whether I should try to do it myself, or just fork over the extra money and get it done at Circuit City.
Old 9/2/07, 11:53 PM
V6 Member

I did it with the Crutchfield harness and bracket, was brain-dead simple except for:

1) If you're retaining the factory amps, you need to put a 7805 transistor (voltage regulator) on the sub trigger wire, otherwise you will get an irritating pop from the subs every time the deck's powered up.
2) The dimmer wire (orange/white on the harness and deck) needs to be connected to the blue/white wire on the headlight switch -- nothing else worked for me. The switch panel just clips into the dash, so it's just a matter of prying it out and splicing the wire, no trick at all.

And, of course, that originally my eBay seller mailed me an Alpine iPod cable instead of the Pioneer one, so I had to do it all over again, but that's hardly the deck's fault.
Old 9/3/07, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glacial
I did it with the Crutchfield harness and bracket, was brain-dead simple except for:

1) If you're retaining the factory amps, you need to put a 7805 transistor (voltage regulator) on the sub trigger wire, otherwise you will get an irritating pop from the subs every time the deck's powered up.
2) The dimmer wire (orange/white on the harness and deck) needs to be connected to the blue/white wire on the headlight switch -- nothing else worked for me. The switch panel just clips into the dash, so it's just a matter of prying it out and splicing the wire, no trick at all.

And, of course, that originally my eBay seller mailed me an Alpine iPod cable instead of the Pioneer one, so I had to do it all over again, but that's hardly the deck's fault.
Thanks! Can I pick the voltage regulator up at radio shack? Or will I have to order that online?
Old 9/3/07, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

One more question, looking on this page, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-k0IrW7v...ms&i=130AVICD3 , which is the best ipod adapter to use? Or can I just go out and buy an aux cord and use thar?
Old 9/4/07, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
EDIT: Wow... I went to see what the unit was selling for on Crutchfield... Wow. All I can say. Your getting a VERY good deal. Nearly as good as the deal i got. Nice find
Am I wrong or is it 100 bucks cheaper at BestBuy?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1169512508513
Old 9/4/07, 04:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by hhbh720

You dont get all the installation things needed. And Crutchfield also gives good installation writeups always.
Old 9/5/07, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by hhbh720

Not with a $50 coupon code I found online. Can get the unit, all the wiring harnesses and detailed instructions for free. Can't wait to order mine.
Old 9/5/07, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

So all of you plan/or have done the dimmer feature. The guy at Circuit City made me hesitant about installing that. Seems like everyones has been fine, right?
Old 9/5/07, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

well on that page it says antenna included in parenthesis, so your taken care of on that. goodluck
Old 9/6/07, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Dimmer works fine -- like I said, the dimmer wire on the head unit has to be spliced into the blue/white wire from the headlight switch for it to really work.

Driving without the dimmer connected at night is unbelievably annoying, just get it done.

I also got my D3 for $770 shipped on eBay, there are tons of them for sale there. Radio Shack should have the 7805s, but you can get them from eBay or RadioShack.com or wherever -- essential stuff to have though.
Old 10/10/07, 04:16 AM

should i purchase one of the ipod adaptors or just stick with an aux cable?
Old 10/10/07, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by R3Dline
should i purchase one of the ipod adaptors or just stick with an aux cable?
Get the iPod cable, as it makes the Nav screen a iPod touchscreen.
Old 10/13/07, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

it is sub 700 bux on amazon
Old 10/23/07, 10:23 AM
GT Member

Are you able to utilize the factory siruis antenna with this head unit? That would suck if you couldn't
Old 10/24/07, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

hmm, the antenna probably, but you definately need a box for the sirius.
Old 10/25/07, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
it is sub 700 bux on amazon
Now that is a great price from Amazon on this unit.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic D3