05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

PIE Adapter FRD04-AUX

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/10, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIE Adapter FRD04-AUX

Ok I looked all through the threads on these adapters, and I would like to know from you all that have them or similar items, if they work as described, or do they still have problems? I know Im like 4 years behind you all that have installed these. Most of the threads are from 06 - 09, and I read through a bunch of them. I would love to but a new head unit sure, but the money is not availabe right now, so $80.00 or less would work for me now.

I read of a lot of problems with them so Im just wondering if the bugs are worked out by now? I was looking at this link, http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=813
I guess this is the only one item made for this purpose, is that, still true?
I have an 05 with the shaker 500, like I say I would love to upgrade one day , but that's not anytime soon.

So Any input would help , thanks.
Old 10/29/10, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

All I know is that I have one of these adaptors sitting in my closet that's brand new, never installed. I remember there being an issue with the first batch produced, which I originally had, but I had the manufacturer send me the replacement, which is the one sitting in my closet. $40 and it's yours. I can post a photo if interested.
Old 10/30/10, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using mine for about 4 years now. The first batch had a bug, drained the battery. They sent me a new chip to install, haven't had a problem since. If you want to keep the factory head unit, then I highly recommend this. I have added a new adapter to it so that I can plug in directly into the dash just like the newer cars now have. The part cost me $20 or so online. Check that, $17.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1324

$40, you need to hop all over that. When they were new I think I paid $120 or so, can't remember.
Old 10/31/10, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

SoFL05GT...if not purchased by the OP, let me know as I am interested as well.

Should work with a shaker1000 unit???
Old 11/1/10, 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

PM sent, thanks for the info.I need to keep my head unit for now. dont have the money to swap it out right now, but I d have an ipod I would like to hook up.
Old 11/1/10, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

[quote=runfox;5969532]PM sent.quote]

I sent you an e-mail with pixs.

Originally Posted by delz05
SoFL05GT...if not purchased by the OP, let me know as I am interested as well.

Should work with a shaker1000 unit???
To my knowledge, it should work with a Shaker 1000, but you'd need to check the manufacturer to be certain. I'll let you know if runfox doesn't want it.
Old 11/3/10, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I had this for a while until I put in factory SIRIUS (this one doesn't work with factory SIRIUS). It worked great except for one minor problem where it would stop working every couple of weeks. To fix I just had to cycle the power by pulling the fuse it was powered from. To prevent this from happening, I reccomend powering it from a switched power source rather than a constant power source. The solid red wire in the larger (driver side) connector that goes into the back of the Shaker head unit does the trick.
Old 11/5/10, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had mine installed on my shaker 1000 for almost 2 years now, I bought it used off of ebay for around $30 I believe. I have noticed some issues with it, but not sure if it is because it is used, or????? I wired it directly to the Aux input's hot wire and grounded it to the dash frame behind the radio. If I turn off my car without turning off the radio first, the PIE adapter is no longer seen by my radio when I turn the car back on (pressing the AUX button results in the message "No AUX input found". I have to then shut off the radio and the car, then open a door to deactivate the 5-10 minute power standby our cars have in order to get the ADAPTER to work again. I also purchased a 12v to USB converter so I could charge my itouch while driving and for some reason it recently started sending interference through the cars speakers whenever I plug the cable into my ipod (I've tried it in both 12V jacks, tried a different cable from the PIE adapter to my ipod, and exchanged the 12v to USB adapter for a new one, with the same results). The interference reminds of the old days when you had your power wire running too close to your audio wires when running RCA's and power to an amp, a little whining. I plan to maybe pick up a new PIE adapter if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 11/5/10 at 07:25 AM.