05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Painting Door Switch Bezels

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/08, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought some paint today. We had it on sale for buy one get one at 50% off. I will see how the weather is this weekend and try to get them painted. I also got my take off GT mufflers and I am going to paint them black except the chrome rolled tips... Watchdevil PM me if you are still interested in the V6 chrome tip I have extra.
Old 4/5/08, 11:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
I just bought some paint today. We had it on sale for buy one get one at 50% off. I will see how the weather is this weekend and try to get them painted. I also got my take off GT mufflers and I am going to paint them black except the chrome rolled tips... Watchdevil PM me if you are still interested in the V6 chrome tip I have extra.
I am still not happy with the paint color I used and It was in fact a brighter silver than the one recommended earlier in the thread. I am trying to live with it the way it is awhile but I think I will indeed be doing a repaint with a better color silver.

Tungsten I sent you a PM.
Old 4/6/08, 12:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thumbs up Painted today!!!

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I am still not happy with the paint color I used and It was in fact a brighter silver than the one recommended earlier in the thread. I am trying to live with it the way it is awhile but I think I will indeed be doing a repaint with a better color silver.

Tungsten I sent you a PM.
This is how mine turned out. I used different paint than Watchdevil. Same brand but this is for the wheels. You also see the silver tinsel welts I have installed. And just for fun I am putting the picture of my Bullitt step sills.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Door Switch Bezels-img_0095.jpg   Painting Door Switch Bezels-img_0096.jpg  
Old 4/7/08, 09:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Tungsten Bullitt
This is how mine turned out. I used different paint than Watchdevil. Same brand but this is for the wheels. You also see the silver tinsel welts I have installed. And just for fun I am putting the picture of my Bullitt step sills.
It looks really good man!

Every time I have a day off it seems it's chilly, cloudy or raining so I guess when I get a good day off I will try to respray the door trim parts.
Old 4/7/08, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by watchdevil
It looks really good man!

Every time I have a day off it seems it's chilly, cloudy or raining so I guess when I get a good day off I will try to respray the door trim parts.
Do you like the silver tinsel welts? I have extra from my initial purchase. PM me if you are.
Old 4/7/08, 07:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here are pics of my trim bezels. I threw an updated color of paint on them and they look much better.

Old 4/24/08, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I painted the speaker rings last summer.. looks like im gonna have to do the door sills. Have the plates from UPR but they get scuffed pretty easy.
Old 4/25/08, 09:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by superman112
I painted the speaker rings last summer.. looks like im gonna have to do the door sills. Have the plates from UPR but they get scuffed pretty easy.
I have not even peeled the clear film off my aluminum sill plate inserts yet!

I tell you what, the black plastic in the Mustangs certainly scuffs way too easy.

I just put in the silver welting around the door trim panel inserts and it looks perfectly finished. Pictures later when I have time!
Old 5/12/08, 12:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I finally got pictures of the door panels with the welting installed.... Something about resizing this picture makes the welting look jagged but it is not...

Old 5/12/08, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well yuo guys have made me want to paint peices in my car now. I do not have th IUP with the exception of the steering wheel so I think IM going to paint the speaker surround and the switch bezels, and maybe the center console, a gloss black, and add maybe charcoal welts. what do yuo guys think?
Old 5/13/08, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
Well yuo guys have made me want to paint peices in my car now. I do not have th IUP with the exception of the steering wheel so I think IM going to paint the speaker surround and the switch bezels, and maybe the center console, a gloss black, and add maybe charcoal welts. what do yuo guys think?
Are you saying you want to do everything gloss black? If so that wont be much constrast. However if you are going to do silver or charcoal constrats that would look nice. I am not sure though painting the console a gloss black will really be all that attractive. I have seen a few people paint the consoles and it really doesn't work for my personal taste.

I have seen people paint the side trim on both sides of the center stack trim silver and that looks nice. I have been thinking of doing something like that myself. I get torn between painting just the audio/HVAC plate or just doing the vertical side trim wings. I think if I did just the audio/HVAC trim plate the audio system will look just like a big brick. I may as well leave it all black as is and not worry about doing it at all.

Anway, everyone who has seen the silver welt inserts on my doors like them. My sister of course thought the car came that way from the factory. I still need to glue them in place as soon as I can decide what kinds of glue or adhesive to use that wont be a mess to apply or risk damage to the surrounding panel surfaces. Unfortunately, my welts don't fit as snug in the grooves as some people say they do, and I do have the IUP diamond pattern inserts.

All of my car's additional mods are on hold because of the hail damage I have to get repaired. I have to come up with $1000 deductible and I had originally planned to use my $600 economic stimulus money to get a few more things like black turn signal lamps, satin ebrake handle, a satin cupholder insert and an ebrake boot. I also wanted to do a black Mach1 stripe on the hood.

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/13/08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 5/13/08, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

i know there wont be much contrast but i just thought it would give a few of the peices a more finished and polished look. I tend to agree with you on the center console and i think i will just leave that the way it is
Old 5/17/08, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Can I send mine out to one of you guys to do for me, lol.
I have been waiting for SHR or MGW to make these.
Old 5/17/08, 08:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stoenr
Can I send mine out to one of you guys to do for me, lol.
I have been waiting for SHR or MGW to make these.
I think Marcello's getting nearer to completion
Old 5/18/08, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
i know there wont be much contrast but i just thought it would give a few of the peices a more finished and polished look. I tend to agree with you on the center console and i think i will just leave that the way it is

I tend to like both satin aluminum and charcoal as accents to contrast with black. Since my car has aluminum IUP I chose silver. If I had charcoal IUP, it would have been charcoal paint. If I had all black no IUP, everything would have been changed to contrast whereever possible because I cannot stand the all black dash bezels and shifter trim. It's no so bad on an all black interior or interiors with black carpet with constrasting seat colors but for me personally it reeks cheap and stripped down looking when used on gray or biege interiors.
Old 5/18/08, 07:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in reality we shouldn't have to paint anything. Can you imagine someone painting porsche interior or BMW or mercedes?