05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Now that P.I.E. is coming out with the AUX

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harness - let's talk connections. Last night I went out and purchsed my Delphi XM SkiFiII, and noticed there is a "line out" plug on the docking station. Is it going to be as easy as getting a "Y" cable with two RCA ends (for the P.I.E. adapter side) and a smaller single plug for the "Line Out" on the XM head unit?

Obviously, I'll have to mount the rest of the system - but to connect to our Ford HU's can it be that simple? Then I guess to switch between CD's, regular radio to XM - I just press the "AUX" button and the head unit functions (inc steering wheel controls) will work as normal - with the exception that I'll control XM channel selection via the XM head unit?

Also, those of you with either XM or Sirous - do you really have to mount the antenna on the outside roof - to get decent reception? On my GT I'd like to mount it either in one dash corner or in the rear window area to one side? One last question.....I'm assuming that if the SkiFiII's "Line out" is used - then it will automatically switch off it's internal FM modulation connect?

t.i.a.
Old 8/11/05, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Brad, should be just as easy as you indicated I would think with the RCA connections.I have my antenna mounted on the rear deck/trunk up near the rear window.It sits right in between the stripes and really isn't noticeable from the rear of the car and since yours is black it would probably blend in perfectly.
Old 8/11/05, 04:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

I layed my XM Radio Antenna at the back windshied having it just stick out of the seat a little bit and I still got reception!
Old 8/11/05, 04:54 PM
Cobra Member

Chris/Paul - thanks for the feedback - I kinda thought that it wasn't absolutely necessary to have that thing sticking on the roof. I can always try it and if the reception is bad move it outside later.

I can't wait to get that adapter and install it!! Meantime it's fun considering where I want to mount the XM head unit.....stealth is my preference - I'll probably mount everything inside the console with velcro - so I can pull it out and set it on the console when I want to.....
Old 8/11/05, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

I have my display unit mounted up on the front of the courtesy light panel..Really like it there!
Old 8/11/05, 09:08 PM
Bullitt Member

P.I.E. #193 Here

...allright subzero, Im going to have to copy that from you. I have the xm commando, and was going between the two center vents....but now, I dont know...I like that up there
Old 8/12/05, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

YOU DON'T NEED IT ON THE ROOF.

I put my SIRIUS receiver in the back window and I get MAX signal. Just make sure you put it inbetween the defrost wires all the way in the back. The wires tend to interfere with the signal.

Plus alls you need is some RCA Y wires. It is just as simple as the line out.
Old 8/12/05, 10:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@August 12, 2005, 6:50 AM
YOU DON'T NEED IT ON THE ROOF.

I put my SIRIUS receiver in the back window and I get MAX signal. Just make sure you put it inbetween the defrost wires all the way in the back. The wires tend to interfere with the signal.

Plus alls you need is some RCA Y wires. It is just as simple as the line out.
Are your windows tinted? I was gonna do this with Sirius, but wasnt sure how it would work with tinted windows...
Old 8/13/05, 11:21 AM
GT Member

I actually have my SkyFi2 atenna sitting on the dash in the far corner of the passenger side (up against the glass) with NO problems. Only issue is occasional rattling against the windshield. Also, I didn't mount the skyfi, I just set it on the cupholders, that way I can throw it in the console or the floorboard if needed.

I started with the antenna on the trunk lid, but it scratched my brand new paint so I moved it.
Old 8/18/05, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO don't tint it. Tinted windows refract some of the signal off the window and it will decrease the signal strength.

No I don't have tinted windows, I tihnk that's why it works inside.
Old 8/22/05, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@August 18, 2005, 6:15 AM
NO don't tint it. Tinted windows refract some of the signal off the window and it will decrease the signal strength.

No I don't have tinted windows, I tihnk that's why it works inside.
Will the P.I.E. for the 05 work on the 06 stereos?
Old 8/23/05, 12:06 AM
Cobra Member

Now that I've had my SkyFi II installed for a couple of weeks I have a few observations....

1) I mounted the antenna right in the middle of the rear package shelf about 1/2 way between the rear seat back and the lower rear window...signal seems OK - but it will drop if I'm stopped under a concrete overpass.

2) The power AND antenna plugs keep popping out of the docking station - just enough to drop the power or signal....I'm having to open the console and push them back in when that happens....funny thing is that it is laying on a towel inside of my console and is not moving around - I can't figure why they both keep coming out.....anyone else have this with the XM and SKIFI II system??

3) I LOVE this new music media....soooooo much better than my the few poor FM stations I got before!!
Old 8/23/05, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by cyoon@August 22, 2005, 1:02 PM
Will the P.I.E. for the 05 work on the 06 stereos?
It should if the Stereo stays the same which it is. Just to be safe, email the guys over at P.I.E. They give you a straight up answer.