05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New PIE adapter (Part... ? I lose count)

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/07, 02:26 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New PIE adapter (Part... ? I lose count)

Ok. So I was psyched about the new adapter from PIE. Then they kept pushing it back again and again. Then last month it's finally released, but now it says 2006-2007 Mustang only. With AUX input, SAT ready... whatever that means.
So anyway, I was bummed. Called PIE, customer support says 2006-2007. I try to explain that there isn't really much difference between the two years radios if you didn't get SAT equipped. They just go by what it says.
Then a couple days ago, I was cleaning up some links and ran across this update from Discount Car Stereo:
Product Alert!!! Product Alert!!
It is possible that some vehicles listed in the application are not "SAT READY" and if so they will not recognize the FRD04-POD/S. To guarantee compatibility we ask you
email us the radio model number and the vehicle model year. Here is how to get the model number:
1. Press presets 3 & 6 at the same time. The screen will display a speaker test.
2. Press preset 6 again. When the screen changes press the up arrow above the CD slot. The model # will flash on the screen
We will get back with you as soon as we can confirm the application. Thank you.

So, I figure it's worth a shot, (I did have my Shaker 500 replaced in 2006 due to "issues") and sent them an email with my model number. Got an email back the next day that said:

That model is confirmed to work so long you do not have the factory Satellite radio options installed.

So, with email saved and printed, I ordered. Should be here sometime next week. They said the radio would work, so that's what I'm holding them to. We'll see if it really will work in an '05!

Long story short, send them your model number, maybe it will work, maybe it won't...

OK, LEO, I'll be test mule here this time! Wish me luck!
Old 7/13/07, 06:46 AM
GT Member

Good luck! Hope it works for you. I had to go through 3 to finally get one to work for me, but it hasn't let me down yet.
Old 7/13/07, 07:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Awesome let me know how it works out as I've been wanting one ever since the first PIE/AUX unit came out.
Old 7/18/07, 10:57 PM
GT Member

Success!

Okay, I'll be able to give a more thorough review in a couple days, but the long and short of it now is that IT WORKS!

Not really any pictures that would be of any worth, it's just a black box that gets tucked in behind the radio. I did have to splice into a 12v constant source, so I went into the main console power plug, as my billet "GT" plug has permanent residence there anyway. Ran the cable inside of the floor console, and up into the "bin" through the ebrake access panel.

Tap AUX and SAT1 displays, which runs the ipod from the head unit so you can store it in the glove box or center console(I need to play with this to see how user friendly this is), tap AUX again and SAT2 displays allowing IPOD REMOTE control. This is what I'll use as I'm fairly quick with my Ipod and I'll have it out anyway.

Finished the install and ran out of the garage so quick that I left my keys in the ignition on accessory, that I came home to a dead battery. Great... Up and running now and it sounds great! CD quality sound, no FM transmitter crapola, and 80Gb of music at my fingertips! I don't even know where to start...

Your turn LEO
Old 7/19/07, 01:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by NBAworm
Okay, I'll be able to give a more thorough review in a couple days, but the long and short of it now is that IT WORKS!

Not really any pictures that would be of any worth, it's just a black box that gets tucked in behind the radio. I did have to splice into a 12v constant source, so I went into the main console power plug, as my billet "GT" plug has permanent residence there anyway. Ran the cable inside of the floor console, and up into the "bin" through the ebrake access panel.

Tap AUX and SAT1 displays, which runs the ipod from the head unit so you can store it in the glove box or center console(I need to play with this to see how user friendly this is), tap AUX again and SAT2 displays allowing IPOD REMOTE control. This is what I'll use as I'm fairly quick with my Ipod and I'll have it out anyway.

Finished the install and ran out of the garage so quick that I left my keys in the ignition on accessory, that I came home to a dead battery. Great... Up and running now and it sounds great! CD quality sound, no FM transmitter crapola, and 80Gb of music at my fingertips! I don't even know where to start...

Your turn LEO
LOL! Do you have a Shaker 500, Shaker 1000 and or Sat?? Keep us updated since we all know the problem with these units have been they drop connection after a few days. I'm considering saving up and getting a aftermarket head unit.
Old 7/19/07, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Shaker 500 for me. Used it some more today on the way to school. Even in ipod remote mode, the seek buttons work on the radio to skip between tracks. I like that combo even better. I'll be heading on a short road trip this weekend with this blasting the whole way, so I'll give you an update then. But for now, it rocks!
Old 7/19/07, 01:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool if it works I might just have to make a trip to Kansas.
Old 7/23/07, 06:05 PM
GT Member

OK, so after the road trip I got a chance to mess with it a little more, and I messed with the option of the Shaker 500 unit controlling the ipod. It's not that convenient (imagine that, a unit with buttons meant to control a device that it was never inteded to... ), but it does work. You have to use the buttons like you would scroll on the click wheel. 1= menu, 2= select, 3= CW scroll, 4=CCW scroll and so on. It has a little lag to it when it controls the ipod, but it could be that I have the 80GB beast that is almost 60GB full. The unit will display song titles and you can control it all without even seeing the ipod. HOWEVER, this actually requires more "eyes-off-the-road" time than using the ipod and it's much slower. I prefer to use the ipod remote mode to find what I want, and use the previous/next buttons on the Shaker to skip through songs. I still say that this is amazing, and I've had it in for almost a week now using it not only every day, but every time I've been in the car. Sounds like PIE finally got something right the first time around... hope I didn't jinx it. Maybe that's why it kept getting pushed back for almost 6 months.
Anyway, hope this helps.

And Leo, I'll be activating my trunk monkey if you're thinking what you're shifty eyes imply...
Old 7/24/07, 05:54 AM
GT Member

i have had this new pie installed for over three weeks now and am slightly disappointed; when i first installed it - it would not work and i called PIE and the tech told me to disconnect it for a few minutes and then try it; i did this and it did work as advertised - fortunately i had not reinstalled the console at that time; since then it has stopped functioning 3 times and i have had to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to get it to start working again and this is becoming a nuisance. (i had the peripheral prior to this and it was fine for a year and then i had the mafunctioning gauges issue so returned it for a refund). At least with the Peripheral the power connection and wiring harness cords were longer and i installed it behind the right passenger kick plate and could disconnect it without taking the console apart. The new PIE has shorter cords and the only way to access the connection is to take the consle apart and remove the kick plate - thus this makes disconnecting the battery the only way to "Reboot" - i guess there are not many other options for us 05 and 06 shaker owners other than to buy a new radio. I will keep an eye on this and if continues to need rebooting to work - maybe have to invest in another radio - after 2 years i have had no problems with the shaker 500 and it meets my needs.

If you have the new PIE keep us updated and lets us know if you need to reboot after periods of non use - like more than a week.