05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

New amp for door subs help please!

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/05, 09:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SO I finally got a new amp for the door subs, a little MTX rt.202. I was hoping to just find a harness for it, but it's still under development at scosche and metra. I'm happy to run my own power and ground anyway, but I want to use the outs the factory amps use, both for space and because I'm pretty sure the head unit is doing crossovers on those channels.

Of course, if anyone knows of a harness, great. I saw someone had made a custom one for the trunk hookup. But what I really need to know is what are the color codes -- any of you shop manual guys?

thanks!
Old 9/12/05, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Good luck on this. I just got my car last week, so I haven't torn into it as of yet- I was on vacation. I do love this car, though.

I'm with you, I think there's crossover funtion provided by the HU, but I can't be certain as I don't own an oscilloscope or an RTA to be able to properly check. I would love to see a wiring diagram- then a good LOC should make everything run nicely...or does that amp have high-level inputs? I hope to see a harness that breaks all the functions out so I can just replace the 2 factory amps under the dash (use the space) with my Memphis 3004. That way I can power separates in the doors, along with the door subs all off the single amp.

Did Scoshe and Metra both say they were doing a harness that would also allow power/ground/rem?!?! I can think of about eleventy-billion things I could utilize that for- let's just hope it works better than P.I.E's aux-input adapter
Old 9/14/05, 03:56 AM
GT Member

Congrats on finally getting the ride! You must be stoked. Take some pics!

Turns out they are low-level inputs to the sub amps -- the nice people at crutchfield hooked me up with the intel. Scosche and Metra didn't mention if their harness does pwr/gnd/rem or not, I guess I was assuming it does, but I doubt the power wire in the factory setup is very big. I'm actually happier doing my own. I think my MTX will fit in the space as well.

Someone said the Mach 460 HU did the crossover, so I assume this is the same. I'm planning to crimp on some d-sub connectors to plug into the harness.

What's up with the P.I.E. adapter? I thought it was going to be great?
Old 9/14/05, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

The P.I.E has some software issues only on the Stang. It just stops working randomly.

I figure that MTX would only truly need 10 ag wire. It won't draw much.
Old 9/14/05, 04:18 PM
GT Member

Yeah, that's what I bought for it -- the big red wire coming off the battery looks like 10 or 12 ga., but the power connection on the harness is definitely not. Better to be on the safe side...
Old 9/14/05, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just call the Scosche tech line and tell them what you want to do and they can tell you what you will need to get.I have my 8inch subs hooked up to a Scosche two channel EFX hyperdrive amp and i got it dirrectly from Scosche. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 9/14/05, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Me too! I think I'm better off doing power and ground the usual aftermarket way, and crutchfield tech emailed me the wire colors for the remote and the inputs. How did you wire yours? did you replace the drivers or just the amp?
Old 9/16/05, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I left the amps in the factory location but, I used the imputs for the speakers. But , I installed new speaker wire to go to the amps. Three amps in total. one mono, one two channel and one four channel. Everything far as speakers and amps is Scosche. They supplied everything I needed for the install. My 05 GT's stereo is same set up that Scosche did for the SEMA and Electronics shows on their 05 GT.
Old 9/21/05, 04:25 PM
GT Member

OK, well, it does work and sounds good but I can't find the wire for the remote lead. I'm trying to tap the fuse box but none of my local stores carry the right fuse taps. I got some that fit the ATM fuse holes but NOT with the fuse at the same time -- can I use one of the "Not Used" spots?

Oh, and how do I know which is the "hot" side?
Of course, if anyone knows the right wire to splice... :bang:
Old 9/21/05, 05:45 PM
GT Member

OK kids, #5 seems to work ok, although maybe a little EMI noise. I might try another tomorrow. Just remember to wire a 5A fuse inline

Initial impressions are good...this is an MTX rt.202 driving a pair of Seas CA21RE 8ohm woofers. Very deep and although I hate the word, authoritative bass. This little amp puts out a lot of power. I have the woofers wired in parallel, bridged, so they're each supposedly getting about 75 watts. However, the bench test sheet had this unit doing 218 watts RMS bridged, so it may even be 109 each The woofers are rated for 80 and I wouldn't want to go much higher due to a very low Xmax (maybe 3.5mm?). My only complaint about the amp so far is I have to turn the gain most of the way up, I think the factory pre-outs are very low voltage. But, overall very nice. My wife says it feels like the car is shaking now
Old 9/21/05, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

So, did the SEAS drop right in? I'm in contact with TREO Engineering currently to try a pair of their new 8's rumored to handle 500 RMS , shallow mounting depth, and needing very small boxes. Sounds like it will have a sensitivity rating of about 4.
Old 9/21/05, 07:30 PM
GT Member

nice, got a link?
The Seas dropped in except I had to trim the lip of the panel where the speaker mounts since the basket is a bit big.
Old 9/22/05, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

No link, I saw someone mention the TREO's at TermPro, so I called them. They wouldn't give me specifics, but they wouldn't debunk what was said, either. I seriously doubt they'll be worth much as far as SQ. The only thing I need to choose is my HU and my 8's, as long as these old RF Punchs don't fit. I still think the Clarion-branded RE8 clones would work really well. Now, I need $$$$
Old 9/23/05, 06:55 PM
GT Member

well, those clarion/RE8s are only $15/each! I kinda wish I had bought them though I'm not sure they'll fit, and Madisound said the Seas would be better.
I'm very impressed with the Seas/MTX combo, far superior to stock. The enclosures seem to rattle a bit, tomorrow I think I will pull out the polyfill and tweak everything a bit.
What about the MB Quart RWE202? You can get a pair on eBay for $175 I think, dual 2 ohm, looks like they might fit and the stock amps should probably drive them well.
Old 9/24/05, 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

Madisound told me to avoid the Clarions, but the Peerless I'm looking at they recommended. Only thing, they only have 3 left and they're being replaced by a new line.

I'll check out some of those pre-Maxxsonics MBQ's. Thanks