05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Machinist / Machining Question

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/06, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinist / Machining Question

I'm working on a shift **** adapter.

My question is this. If I buy an aftermarket shift **** adapter that is essentially an aluminum cylinder threaded to screw onto a 10 mm x 1.25 shaft, is there enough material there to thread it; or drill and thread it to fit a 12 mm x 1.25 shaft?

It has been suggested to me that the Ford stock 5 spd shaft is 12 mm x 1.25. Am I correct on this?

Does anyone know a vendor who sells a shift **** adapter like this; or can make one for me?

Hope I am not a nuisance. Thanks for your continuing help. W.
Old 6/26/06, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dear Walt,

10mm to 12mm is 2mm and that is total diameter. Machining would give you TOPS 1mm per side (.039 in), which if made out of any ordinary materials will not give you significant strength.

Post an image of what you're trying to do and I will see what options are available as a "fix".
Old 6/26/06, 11:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Less than that when you figure in the thread depth of the male 12mm. Do not think I would want to make this for someone other than myself. Wax up the shifter shaft with paste wax and stuff JB Weld in the ball and set it on the shaft. Works every time. Make sure you wax the shaft or it will be on there for a lifetime.
Old 6/27/06, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Momo_shift.htm

Dear Walt,

Based on the Momo shifter you want to use, it appears that Momo supplies some rubber "tubes"/ spacers that take up the gap between the shaft thread and the **** itself. This will give an interference fit between the **** and shaft which ideally secures the ****. Then there are 3 setscrews to keep the **** from coming up off of the shaft. From there a lower threaded portion covers the setscrews for a clean look. Momo seems to have worked this one out, but if you want a cylinder machined that fits over the shaft threads and has an O.D. of 15mm I'm still more than willing to assist you.