05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Kenwood DNX7100 Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood DNX7100 Software Update

Software update version 1.0.9 is now available for the Kenwood DNX7100.

You will need your serial number to gain accesses to the update download site.

http://www.kenwood.com/usb/mm_fwdl_en.html

This update adds functionality for the newer iPods and some other minor fixes.

My software version was 1.0.2 before the update.

The software download includes a PDF instruction page on how to perform the update. Read it closely before starting.

When you start the update the screen will go black for about 30 seconds before it shows the update being installed. Be patient and DO NOT turn off the DNX7100 or disconnect the USB drive. I don't know for sure but that may cause a problem.

My update went smoothly and only took a few minutes to perform.
Old 1/4/08, 05:01 AM

Updated a few days ago and works great.

Has anyone with this unit figured out how to display a background by itself without the menu showing up on top of it? The background feature is a little useless if you can only see it behind the menus.
Old 1/4/08, 09:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by roushmp
Updated a few days ago and works great.

Has anyone with this unit figured out how to display a background by itself without the menu showing up on top of it? The background feature is a little useless if you can only see it behind the menus.
Not that I am aware of. Could be why it's called a background...LOL

One thing I noticed about the new update is the slow indexing of USB drives has been fixed!

That was my only real complaint about the DNX7100 and now it works great!
Old 1/4/08, 09:47 AM

Lol, yeah yeah....I've seen other people who have the ability to display a picture on the screen, but with ours, the menu blocks out most of any image you put up there.

Did not know that about the usb fix; I got frustrated with the crazy wait times using my Archos, so I broke down and bought an ipod....works great!

My only complaint is that it has never done the reverse tilt, and still doesn't after the update, which many people who have the same problem said would be fixed with a firmware update...oh well!
Old 1/4/08, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

Be nice if I could fine a list of fixes from 1.0.2 to this new 1.0.9. Any ideas on where to get that info ?

-Bryan
Old 1/15/08, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am about the pull the trigger on this unit... Good idea?
Old 1/16/08, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mach
I am about the pull the trigger on this unit... Good idea?
I have had mine for a while now and absolutely love it! After updating the software to 1.0.9 the only annoyance I had was fixed. It used to take for ever for it to index the music on USA thumb drives but now it just takes seconds to have the files ready to play and very little more time to index to access the music buy album genre and so on. I am currently using a 8gig drive that is totally full. You will want to read the manual and try all the functions to get used to where things are and how they work. Some have complained that them menu is to complicated. I love the way the menu works! If it was any simpler it wouldn't have the functionality I was seeking. The GPS is Garmin...enough said.
Old 1/16/08, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Also about to pull the plug on this one. Debating on going with the overpriced Crutchfield version and getting everything I need to install plus the ipod connector, or getting it from cartronixplus for under 900 and getting the fitment pieces locally.
Old 1/17/08, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Also about to pull the plug on this one. Debating on going with the overpriced Crutchfield version and getting everything I need to install plus the ipod connector, or getting it from cartronixplus for under 900 and getting the fitment pieces locally.
I purchased mine through Amazon.com and picked up the Metra wiring and face-plate adaptor locally. Any car stereo shop will have these parts and the are cheap.

I did the install myself following some post by Taco-Bill and others on this forum and others. I all so did a write up on my install to help those who want to do it their selves also.

My total install was under $1000. A local Car Toys store wanted $1400 for the unit and $400 to install. So I guess I saved over $800 and did the install the way I like it soldering and taping everything all up nice and clean.
Old 1/18/08, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now the deal from Crutchfield is the unit plus the backup camera for $1200. Includes all the harnesses and such. To me, it is nice to have Crutchfield tech support to back up any problems that might come up and if you figure the cam (that I think is cool anyway) is worth $150 the price is reasonable.

After reading the write ups, it does not look too bad of an install no matter which way a person would want to go.
Old 1/18/08, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach
Right now the deal from Crutchfield is the unit plus the backup camera for $1200. Includes all the harnesses and such. To me, it is nice to have Crutchfield tech support to back up any problems that might come up and if you figure the cam (that I think is cool anyway) is worth $150 the price is reasonable.

After reading the write ups, it does not look too bad of an install no matter which way a person would want to go.
I actually just went for that Crutchfield deal a few minutes ago. Also got the XM SmartAntenna so that I could have Xm along with the NavTraffic data feature.

I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC-D3, but the better feature set on the Kenwood won me over (USB/SD support, internal GPS map storage, maps by Garmin, etc)
Old 1/18/08, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

stop tempting me guys, its not going to work
(continues browsing Crutchfield while putting VISA away)
Old 1/18/08, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Reminisce
stop tempting me guys, its not going to work
(continues browsing Crutchfield while putting VISA away)
Well, if we can wear you down, I'll feel less guilty
Old 1/19/08, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I actually just went for that Crutchfield deal a few minutes ago. Also got the XM SmartAntenna so that I could have Xm along with the NavTraffic data feature.

I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC-D3, but the better feature set on the Kenwood won me over (USB/SD support, internal GPS map storage, maps by Garmin, etc)
Paul....The SD slot is only for map updates and is used for nothing else. If you want to use an SD card for music files you would need to get one of those USB / SD card adaptors so you could play the music on an SD card. Also the built in map software in mine was the same revision as the available map update so an update SD map was not necessary. Just for your information. Have fun with your new toy!!
Old 1/19/08, 07:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Paul....The SD slot is only for map updates and is used for nothing else. If you want to use an SD card for music files you would need to get one of those USB / SD card adaptors so you could play the music on an SD card. Also the built in map software in mine was the same revision as the available map update so an update SD map was not necessary. Just for your information. Have fun with your new toy!!
Yep, I was aware of that. Still far better than swapping a Nav disk in and out all the time.
Old 2/2/08, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Software update version 1.0.9 is now available for the Kenwood DNX7100.

You will need your serial number to gain accesses to the update download site.

http://www.kenwood.com/usb/mm_fwdl_en.html

This update adds functionality for the newer iPods and some other minor fixes.

My software version was 1.0.2 before the update.

The software download includes a PDF instruction page on how to perform the update. Read it closely before starting.

When you start the update the screen will go black for about 30 seconds before it shows the update being installed. Be patient and DO NOT turn off the DNX7100 or disconnect the USB drive. I don't know for sure but that may cause a problem.

My update went smoothly and only took a few minutes to perform.
What I dislike the unit is once in awhile, I get in my car and turn on the unit, everything seems to be on... audio is playing, but when I press the NAV button, the screen says that Navigation is OFF. Not really sure why it does that. I'm in an open area, so getting signal is not a problem.

The other problem is that when playing MP3 on a DVD, I have Random selection on, but it doesn't seem like the song selection is random. The other day, I was able to predict exactly what the next song is.... did that twice. I had about 168 songs in the folder I was playing.

Anyone experienced/noticed this problems? And does this update fix this?
Old 2/3/08, 10:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Vo_Dich
What I dislike the unit is once in awhile, I get in my car and turn on the unit, everything seems to be on... audio is playing, but when I press the NAV button, the screen says that Navigation is OFF. Not really sure why it does that. I'm in an open area, so getting signal is not a problem.

The other problem is that when playing MP3 on a DVD, I have Random selection on, but it doesn't seem like the song selection is random. The other day, I was able to predict exactly what the next song is.... did that twice. I had about 168 songs in the folder I was playing.

Anyone experienced/noticed this problems? And does this update fix this?
I personally have never seen the issue with the Nav being off.I have also never tried playing music with the random setting so don't know if that is a problem or not.If your firmware isn't 1.0.9 you should update to that revision regardless.