05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Interior Revamp for the LL GTA

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/06, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, another great site. Thanks for putting it up Lee. But heck, I thought I was being original, guess not after all.

On a happy note, I was worried that a "tiny" bit of the exterior color inside the GTA would be gaudy. After seeing some of those PT's, I have no more worries !!

Mark

Originally Posted by HiRoller
I was going to wait until mine came in, but since another website was posted I wanted to give you guys another option. I found this website searching on the internet. http://mrmikes.com/ptwelts.htm The only color I didn't see was a match for legend lime. This site is actually for PT Cruisers, but the piping would be the same regardless of the vehicle. I ordered my piping on saturday. I'll post pics when I get it. There are tons of colors to choose from and I ordered the electric blue and some silver tinsel. He also does some sick interior work. I e-mailed him to see if he would be interested in doing mustangs.
Old 10/9/06, 07:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Original Sin
Hey, great link Intruder, many more colors than my place had. Thanks !!
How many yards needed for both doors?Is the price really .50 a yard??
Old 10/9/06, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chuck, each door takes 80" which leaves about 3" of play to overlap and cut. I don't know what you'd do with 30' of the stuff, perhaps sell it to someone with a PT Cruiser????? But I guess the price is right, $30.00....and a much better color selection than the shop here in my town had. Still a cheap mod if you like it. Mine cost $5.00 'cause the stuff was truly retro - 25 years old. Just adds to the ambiance !!!!

Mark

Originally Posted by Boltzman
How many yards needed for both doors?Is the price really .50 a yard??
Old 10/10/06, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just talked to Mike at Mr Mikes. http://mrmikes.com/ptwelts.htm He's a really cool guy. My piping is shipping out today. I'll post pics when it comes in. Here was his response to my e-mail:

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the link to the forum, I checked it out.
Then I looked through my welt samples books, for a lighter green (I carry Dark Green for the PTs).
They show a green that I would call 'avocado', but I called the manufacturer first as a lot of the colors have been discontinued, yes it's discontinued, like the guy said on the forum "this stuff was big in the 1960's" and it's on the way out.
I will go to the Ford dealer and look at the new Mustangs.
I liked reading that the forum members seem interested in the "the old muscle car look". That's what I'm doing in the PTs, we just finished a kit called 'Road Runner'.
And thanks for the link to mrmikes.com in the forum.
MrMike
(941) 922-5070
http://www.mrmikes.com
Old 10/10/06, 10:41 AM
GT Member

Hey Original,
I would be interested in buying that grey that you show. Could we possibly set something up? I have the dark charcoal grey premium interior on a Tungsten Grey and I think that would be a good match. Let me know.

Thanks!!!

Thanks guys, a cheap mod it is !!!

Anyways, here's a couple of pics of the other colors available. Each of these came from rolls that were 25 yrs old so these colors aren't around anymore.

The new stuff (a few different colors) can be had from an auto upholstery shop, "Superior" is the name of the company that the newer stuff comes from. They wouldn't ship to a private person as the rolls are huge. So if you're interested, look up the upholsterers in your area.

So.....for those with L.Lime cars and parchment interiors, the shop here in Stoney Creek has tons of the lime piping.

The Med. Blue (for Vista) is all gone.

There's lots of red (for Redfire) but you'd need a parchment with black door insert premium interior to use it I think.

Lots of Grey (for Silver) but you'd have to have an all black premium interior or the 2 tone black/dove CS/GT interior

Lots of Parchment but you'd only use this for an interior contrast if you had parchment seats with all black premium doors.

I think that's about all the combo's

Hope that helps, Mark
Old 10/10/06, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mark, thanks for the piping. I can't wait to see how it looks in the car.
Old 10/10/06, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Lee, tell Mr. Mike thanks!!! If he can't get the L.Lime piping anymore, tell him to get in touch with me and I can hook him up with some. He's better equiped to sell it than I. Otherwise, he's got enough of the other colors that'll match up fairly well.

Mark

I just talked to Mike at Mr Mikes. http://mrmikes.com/ptwelts.htm He's a really cool guy. My piping is shipping out today. I'll post pics when it comes in. Here was his response to my e-mail:

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the link to the forum, I checked it out.
Then I looked through my welt samples books, for a lighter green (I carry Dark Green for the PTs).
They show a green that I would call 'avocado', but I called the manufacturer first as a lot of the colors have been discontinued, yes it's discontinued, like the guy said on the forum "this stuff was big in the 1960's" and it's on the way out.
I will go to the Ford dealer and look at the new Mustangs.
I liked reading that the forum members seem interested in the "the old muscle car look". That's what I'm doing in the PTs, we just finished a kit called 'Road Runner'.
And thanks for the link to mrmikes.com in the forum.
MrMike
(941) 922-5070
http://www.mrmikes.com
Old 10/10/06, 07:47 PM
GTR Member

Original sin,do you have any pics of the piping where the two seams meet?? Also I was alittle confused about what place you were talking about in your post to me.
Old 10/12/06, 01:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Chuck - the place to get the stuff is in HiRoller's post. And the seam....on mine you can't see it. If you look at the pic that shows the small round red reflector on the inside door panel, that's where my seam is. It looks like a hairline crack if you used a magnifying glass, otherwise a camera won't pick it up. If you join the 2 ends with a 2 or 3/16th metal post or similar and push them together, the seam goes away. Real simple.

Mark

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Original sin,do you have any pics of the piping where the two seams meet?? Also I was alittle confused about what place you were talking about in your post to me.
Old 10/12/06, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Mark, just got your package today! Thanks a bunch!!! When I install, I'll take a few pics, and post them. Most likely on Monday (have 2 shows to go to). You will have a PM shortly. Thanks again.
Old 10/12/06, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

got my piping in today!

I did the door panels......I have a couple of ideas for the interior......stay tuned! I have 40 feet of this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Revamp for the LL GTA-doorpanel.jpg  
Old 10/12/06, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

That is awesome! I think I may have to try this...

Old 10/12/06, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

No problem Jeff, lookin forward to the pics.....it's gonna look awesome

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Mark, just got your package today! Thanks a bunch!!! When I install, I'll take a few pics, and post them. Most likely on Monday (have 2 shows to go to). You will have a PM shortly. Thanks again.
Old 10/12/06, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great Lee ! I've been fiddling around with the dash area (the cut between the aluminum and the lower dash is a natural) but I'm not sure it's as good a fit (i.e. looking like it came that way from the factory) as the door panel piping. A couple of people are going to try the inside side panels of their 'vert's rear seats (can't wait to see those) and when I get my seats redone, I'll be adding upholstery to the rear armrest inserts (stupid Ford for leaving them unfinished )and doing the same thing.

Mark

I did the door panels......I have a couple of ideas for the interior......stay tuned! I have 40 feet of this stuff.
Old 10/13/06, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great Lee ! I've been fiddling around with the dash area (the cut between the aluminum and the lower dash is a natural) but I'm not sure it's as good a fit (i.e. looking like it came that way from the factory) as the door panel piping. A couple of people are going to try the inside side panels of their 'vert's rear seats (can't wait to see those) and when I get my seats redone, I'll be adding upholstery to the rear armrest inserts (stupid Ford for leaving them unfinished )and doing the same thing.

Mark
I was messing around with the same area, but it didn't fit very well under the airbag panel. I actually did put a strip between the top of the IUP and the dash. It looks pretty cool. I'm also trying to fit a piece around my shifter bezel.....
Old 10/13/06, 12:36 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Mikes is THE man to go to for Fiero interiors, I've known about him for years, and just yesterday was thinking of checking if he was doing Mustangs yet. The piping looks great, and I've been thinking of taking the rear interior panels out and putting the black inserts in the armrest area on them. Adding the piping at the same time would be cool! I've got the SHR vent windows on order, and to install them I'm going to have to take the interior pieces out anyway.

How close is that electric blue to Vista? I've got the parchment interior, and that would add some nice color to it.
Old 10/13/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
Mr. Mikes is THE man to go to for Fiero interiors, I've known about him for years, and just yesterday was thinking of checking if he was doing Mustangs yet. The piping looks great, and I've been thinking of taking the rear interior panels out and putting the black inserts in the armrest area on them. Adding the piping at the same time would be cool! I've got the SHR vent windows on order, and to install them I'm going to have to take the interior pieces out anyway.

How close is that electric blue to Vista? I've got the parchment interior, and that would add some nice color to it.
It's almost a perfect match. The flash made it look lighter. You won't find it any closer On a side note....I'll be in Vegas next week for work. I can't wait
Old 10/13/06, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Original Sin....Mark has anyone....(Greg) ever told you about http://www.legendlimeregistry.com

Just curious as I just got off the phone with Gregbe1 and we were talking about the piping and he told me you helped him with the M U S T A N G trunk lettering...Please come and Check it out.
Jim
Old 10/15/06, 04:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mark, I sent a PM to you. That looks great!!
Old 10/15/06, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Jim, yes I've checked it out a few times and Greg did mention it. I'll sign up but I'd better run down to the upholsterer and buy up some more LLime piping before I do

So thanks - I will !!!

Mark

Originally Posted by jadeuel
Original Sin....Mark has anyone....(Greg) ever told you about http://www.legendlimeregistry.com

Just curious as I just got off the phone with Gregbe1 and we were talking about the piping and he told me you helped him with the M U S T A N G trunk lettering...Please come and Check it out.
Jim

Quick Reply: Interior Revamp for the LL GTA