05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Interior Revamp for the LL GTA

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Revamp for the LL GTA

Well the outside, underneath and engine's done.....just had to do something with the interior. Was getting tired of the parchment leather and the black vinyl inserts on the doors (from the Premium Pkg).

So.....been talking with TMI the past month about their Mach 1 leather seat covers and came up with a color scheme that combines the interior (parchment and black) with just a touch of lime to bring a bit of the outside of the car inside (like the old 'Stangs, can't get over this retro theme). The seats (just choosing who I'm going to order from) will be parchment leather on the outside bolstering, black perforated leather for the seat bottom and backside and the Mach 1 stripe at the top of the seatback will be Legend Lime. Should give it a nice two-tone look (ala the '07's) with a little extra zip in the form of the lime stripe.

But the challenge was to bring the seat colors subtly into the door panel inserts and I decided to go with Legend Lime vinyl piping (rather than re-covering the door insert like a few guys have done). But I didn't want to overdo the lime color so the piping was my final choice. TMI said they'd do some up and ship it with the seat covers but I had to go through one of their dealers to order it. No problem I thought.

I'm still negotiating for the seat cover pricing but I was quoted a whopping $625.00 just for 160 inches (80" per door). I laughed and said "no thanks". By the way, this was NOT TMI's price 'cause I called them later to clarify, and they laughed too. I guess it's "buyer beware" when you're shopping around for custom made stuff !!

Today, I thought I'd check out an auto upholsterer in my town who's been in business for about 60 years. I told them about the piping idea and we started rooting around through the dust and the cobwebs for some of the 60's colors they had. Well guess what?? Hidden amongst some dusty old roles of vinyl piping was some lime green stuff, ready to go....and looking like I would have designed it myself so that I could wedge it into the crack between the insert and the door panel.

So Goldstar Upholstery charged me $5.00 for 220 inches of the stuff. Yes, $5.00 (versus $625.00). Hmmmmmmm

Anyways, I installed the stuff myself, pic's don't do it justice because the weather was crappy and they were taken inside. No glue, no fuss, no muss, hid the joint by overlapping at the bottom (under the red reflector light) and cutting through both with an exacto knife, then used a 3/16th pin inserted into both ends to keep them tight together. Can't even see the seam. But that little bit of color on the doors looks really neat and like it came from the factory. Mark
Attached Thumbnails Interior Revamp for the LL GTA-piping-6.jpg  
Old 10/4/06, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

wow! that looks sick!
very nice
Old 10/4/06, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. That could be done for any of our factory colors! Can you explain again how it stays in? What holds it in there? I have been looking for a way to add some blue to my interior, and that could be it.
Old 10/4/06, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by backafter20
Very nice. That could be done for any of our factory colors! Can you explain again how it stays in? What holds it in there? I have been looking for a way to add some blue to my interior, and that could be it.
Jim, the 2 bottom pics show how the lip of the piping looks. The piping itself is 3/16th round. The lip below is 5/16th deep and about 1/16th thick. It's vinyl so it's flexible but stiff enough to be pushed into the gap between the vinyl wrapping on the premium door insert and the hard plastic of the rest of the door. Like I said in the original post, I couldn't have designed this thing any better myself. The 5/16th lip is just perfect for allowing the thing to be pushed in tight enough that it doesn't require glue or anything else that will wreck the interior. The only way it'll come out is to pull it out. Brushing against it, etc. doesn't move it.

BTW, this particular style of piping won't work on a non-premium door panel. It's the extra width of the vinyl wrap on the premium pkg that makes this work.

Hope that helps, Mark
Old 10/5/06, 12:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mark,

That looks REALLY friggin' cool....
If you didn't tell anyone, they'd probably think it came on the car like that!

Talk about lucking out... best 5 dollar mod every spent eh?
Old 10/5/06, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark, that REALLY looks awesome!!! Like Jim, I too have been trying to get some Blue (Vista or Royal) inside the cabin, as its just too dark. Can you tell me the company who makes that vinyl piping? This way, maybe I can do a google search, and see if I can find it in a blue that goes well, or better yet, matches Vista Blue. If you can do that, I would greatly appreciate it. Look forward to your reply.
Old 10/5/06, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jeff, when I get a chance to go back to the upholstery shop I'll look through what they have as far as colors go. And I'll get the company name for you.

Hope that helps, Mark
Old 10/5/06, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Looks great... very professional!
Old 10/5/06, 07:53 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's a really nice subtle touch mark,

I can't wait to see the seats when they are done
Old 10/6/06, 05:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you have enough to do another one - LL? I want some!! Oh please please please! That looks great!
Old 10/6/06, 06:03 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Start selling what you got left at $5s a foot
haha
Old 10/6/06, 06:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Original Sin
Jeff, when I get a chance to go back to the upholstery shop I'll look through what they have as far as colors go. And I'll get the company name for you.

Hope that helps, Mark
Mark, that would be terrific, thank you! When you check for the colors, anything that looks like it would match up with Vista Blue is what I am looking for. Any chance this fellow you deal with would sell some of this stuff over the phone? Mark, thanks again for the help!
Old 10/6/06, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
wow! that looks sick!
very nice
Call me old but every time someone says "sick" I keep looking for the vomit...

Great mod!
Old 10/6/06, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, a cheap mod it is !!!
Old 10/7/06, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Mark, I got your PM. Thanks for what you did. I'll PM you my address here at the dealership. That color matches very well. Thanks again, and just look for my PM.
Old 10/7/06, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Welt supplies

Heres a link to some different colored welts also called pipping

http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/ind_7.html

i ordered a few different gray samples.
As soon as I get them I will let you all know.
Old 10/8/06, 04:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, great link Intruder, many more colors than my place had. Thanks !!

Originally Posted by INTRUDER
Heres a link to some different colored welts also called pipping

http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/ind_7.html

i ordered a few different gray samples.
As soon as I get them I will let you all know.
Old 10/8/06, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I have bought from them before, they have always given the best product
at the best prices.

PLUS, they have EVERYTHING AUTOMOTIVE you could think of
Old 10/9/06, 06:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to wait until mine came in, but since another website was posted I wanted to give you guys another option. I found this website searching on the internet. http://mrmikes.com/ptwelts.htm The only color I didn't see was a match for legend lime. This site is actually for PT Cruisers, but the piping would be the same regardless of the vehicle. I ordered my piping on saturday. I'll post pics when I get it. There are tons of colors to choose from and I ordered the electric blue and some silver tinsel. He also does some sick interior work. I e-mailed him to see if he would be interested in doing mustangs.
Old 10/9/06, 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Mark, I sent you another PM, in regards to sending me some of the piping in the Legend Lime color. When you read the PM, you'll see why I need some of that. Small world, once you read it. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Interior Revamp for the LL GTA