05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing remote start/alarm

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/05, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a little while searching but not the info I need. Has anyone installed a remote start in an 05 yet? Which securilock bypass do you recommend? Did you need any diodes and relays. I did find install manuals for the ford bypass and remote start which included wiring diagrams.
Old 8/12/05, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ualpow@August 12, 2005, 9:05 AM
I found a little while searching but not the info I need. Has anyone installed a remote start in an 05 yet? Which securilock bypass do you recommend? Did you need any diodes and relays. I did find install manuals for the ford bypass and remote start which included wiring diagrams.
This may help:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...06&#entry428906
The bypass I used is from Directed electronics (makes the Viper alarms). The only one I could find was one that you had to put a spare key into. I am still looking for one that doesn't use the key. (makes me nervous having the key in there somewhere) Good Luck.
Old 8/12/05, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Gnirod1@August 12, 2005, 12:13 PM
This may help:
The bypass I used is from Directed electronics (makes the Viper alarms). The only one I could find was one that you had to put a spare key into. I am still looking for one that doesn't use the key. (makes me nervous having the key in there somewhere) Good Luck.
The only part of the key that's needed is the transponder molded into the plastic. Bulldog Security sells a blank key (I bought one for my wife's 03 Escape), or you can file down the metal portion of the key so that it can't be used in the lock.
Old 8/12/05, 01:29 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 99vert@August 12, 2005, 10:27 AM
The only part of the key that's needed is the transponder molded into the plastic. Bulldog Security sells a blank key (I bought one for my wife's 03 Escape), or you can file down the metal portion of the key so that it can't be used in the lock.
I have a key coming from Flea-Bay. I'm going to set it up and then cut off the shaft part of the key so that it won't work in the column. I'm not greatly worried, because the car sleeps in the garage and I work on an Air Force base (not that it is not possible to have your car stolen on base, but it really does not happen very often). Directed electronics is supposed to be making one that will replicate the signal of the key. It will also turn off the signal if the alarm is activated. That makes me more comfortable.
Old 8/12/05, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Is it possible to install one in a manual? I never park a manual in gear because I never need to here in Louisiana. Could you also maybe install a switch to deactivate the entire system?
Old 8/12/05, 02:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by NOLAGT@August 12, 2005, 1:09 PM
Is it possible to install one in a manual? I never park a manual in gear because I never need to here in Louisiana. Could you also maybe install a switch to deactivate the entire system?
I thought about that once. I was going to go through the neutral safety switch (on the trans) to configure up an interrupt. That way, it would only work if the trans was in neutral. I'm not sure if the 05 Manual has one or not. I was going to put it on a T-5 that at the time I was thinking about it. It would probably take a series of relays to get it to work, but it is possible. (if there is a neutral switch on the trans). I hope this helps.
Old 8/12/05, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I meant just a single toggle switch to just deactivate the system if someone else is going to be in your car and doesn't know to not park it in gear. I never park in gear...just N and the Ebrake. If I had to put it in gear I would like a switch to turn the system off just in case. So an auto start could be done easy that way? I am totally new to alarms and auto starts
Old 8/12/05, 09:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by NOLAGT@August 12, 2005, 2:26 PM
I meant just a single toggle switch to just deactivate the system if someone else is going to be in your car and doesn't know to not park it in gear. I never park in gear...just N and the Ebrake. If I had to put it in gear I would like a switch to turn the system off just in case. So an auto start could be done easy that way? I am totally new to alarms and auto starts
It is really very involved to install a remote start. I've done it several times and it took me almost 8 hours. Most of the problem was tracking down the correct wires. I may be difficult to wire in a switch like you want. The starter wire is usually rerouted into the remote start unit. The unit can interrupt the starter wire for security purposes. You may be able to make a new circuit using a on off on switch so that the starter wire is routed to the remote start unit one way and bypass the unit the other. I would still be nervous not having a safety cut out in the manual. All it would take is one time that it is left in gear and off the car could go. I know you said that you never leave it in gear, but never is a an infinite word and nobody's perfect. The website I posted earlier has the wiring diagram that can show you where all of the wires are in your car. Good luck.
Old 8/13/05, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Gnirod1@August 12, 2005, 10:13 AM
This may help:

Directed Electronics 556s
You do NOT lose a key with this one, it has a key built into the bypass.
I have one in mine.
Old 8/15/05, 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Gnirod1@August 12, 2005, 10:43 PM
It is really very involved to install a remote start. I've done it several times and it took me almost 8 hours. Most of the problem was tracking down the correct wires. I may be difficult to wire in a switch like you want. The starter wire is usually rerouted into the remote start unit. The unit can interrupt the starter wire for security purposes. You may be able to make a new circuit using a on off on switch so that the starter wire is routed to the remote start unit one way and bypass the unit the other. I would still be nervous not having a safety cut out in the manual. All it would take is one time that it is left in gear and off the car could go. I know you said that you never leave it in gear, but never is a an infinite word and nobody's perfect. The website I posted earlier has the wiring diagram that can show you where all of the wires are in your car. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I don't think I would be able to install one myself so I was just wondering if it was possible. I really really want one bad but don't know if I want to take the chance...like you said it only takes once. I wish there was a way for the unit to detect if it was in gear or not. I am surprised non of the alarm people have done this yet.
Old 8/16/05, 12:45 AM
Bullitt Member

its been in development.....but there really is no way to make a 110% safe manual trans bypass that will fit all cars..

its been stated before....it only takes one failure and one lawsuit..........