05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Insert panel above backseat armrest in coupe

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/07, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Looks good. I think most people would pass it off as stock. This would be an awesome mod for a vert owner since the area is so much more visibile.
Agreed, and on a 'vert if you put the speaker fabric on there as well it would look fantastic Thanks!
Old 6/1/07, 01:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like it came that way , great job ...
Old 6/1/07, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great Dave, a lot of work for you to get to this point, but worth it
Old 6/14/07, 10:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the great information and excellent write up. I've been wanting to do this for quite a while. I've taken it to two shops here on LI but neither have gotten back to me with a quote. I guess the job wasn't big enough for them.

I hope you don't mind, I copied your write up and posted it up on my website. I gave you full credit and linked back to this thread. I like to save the good writeups in case anything ever happens to them. Sometimes pictures are removed or older threads are difficult to find.

Here is the link to your write up in case you need to refer to it:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/IupRear.htm
Old 6/15/07, 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by odiaz
Hi Dave,

Thanks for all the great information and excellent write up. I've been wanting to do this for quite a while. I've taken it to two shops here on LI but neither have gotten back to me with a quote. I guess the job wasn't big enough for them.

I hope you don't mind, I copied your write up and posted it up on my website. I gave you full credit and linked back to this thread. I like to save the good writeups in case anything ever happens to them. Sometimes pictures are removed or older threads are difficult to find.

Here is the link to your write up in case you need to refer to it:

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/IupRear.htm
Nope, not at all! In fact I consider it an honor, because I have your site bookmarked because of all the "how to" info in it. Feel free to use the pics of the panels after they were installed back in the car. Thanks!
Old 6/15/07, 08:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what color material and the name of it, would I purchase if I wanted to make the back panel look like my door panels? I have the Dark Charcoal interior, with the diamond perforations in it. And also, how much should I use? Thanks for the help. I may consider doing this in the near future.
Old 6/15/07, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
So what color material and the name of it, would I purchase if I wanted to make the back panel look like my door panels? I have the Dark Charcoal interior, with the diamond perforations in it. And also, how much should I use? Thanks for the help. I may consider doing this in the near future.
A square yard of this http://www.miamicorp.com/default.asp...temcode=DV5410 is what you need. In the upholstery business (I was told when I bought mine), a square yard is actually 39"x60" or something like that. It's plenty for this project, and even a few screw ups (believe me I know!).
Old 6/15/07, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That looks great. I've been thinking of doing this for a long time. Dean Keil (Passion Automotive Accessories) have talked about a couple different ways to do it, too. He is working on something that hopefully will mean an easier install for the end user, but will probably mean a little more money, too. Since it's his project I don't want to go into details now.

I thought I was pretty much done with my car for now, but after seeing this write-up I might just have to give this a shot. Man, how'm I ever supposed to get finished with the bikes if I keep finding things to do to the Mustang?
Old 6/15/07, 01:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jayguy
That looks great. I've been thinking of doing this for a long time. Dean Keil (Passion Automotive Accessories) have talked about a couple different ways to do it, too. He is working on something that hopefully will mean an easier install for the end user, but will probably mean a little more money, too. Since it's his project I don't want to go into details now.

I thought I was pretty much done with my car for now, but after seeing this write-up I might just have to give this a shot. Man, how'm I ever supposed to get finished with the bikes if I keep finding things to do to the Mustang?
Yeah one option I considered, and thought about running it by Marcello at Silverhorse Racing, was to get a set of the panels from a junyard and cut out the insert area (it's actually a molded part of the panel itself, not a separate piece) and put the vinyl on that, then figure out a way to attach that piece fo the existing panel in the car. Now something like that could be easy to do if you had the resources. Or make a thin plastic shell in the shape of the recessed area/insert and adhere the vinyl to that (in all the coordinating colors of course), and attach that to the existing panel in the car. But one caveat - even 3M tape won't stick to this stuff - it's impregnated with silicone. I think the best way to attach it would be to have those plastic grabby things like the ones in the lower right of this pic

And have a template to drill holes for the pins and voila - simple, clean and done in 15 minutes
Old 6/16/07, 07:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by MTAS
A square yard of this http://www.miamicorp.com/default.asp...temcode=DV5410 is what you need. In the upholstery business (I was told when I bought mine), a square yard is actually 39"x60" or something like that. It's plenty for this project, and even a few screw ups (believe me I know!).
Thanks for the help Dave. I may have to order some and plan a weekend I'm not attending a show, to attempt this.
Old 7/18/07, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I tried to order the material today from Miami corp and they tell me they no longer have the material and that it is no longer being made. Does anyone else know where to get the aberdeen red material?

Thanks,
OD
Old 8/2/07, 03:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Reviving an old thread!! Dave, just got off the phone with Miamicorp, and ordered the Aberdeen Charcoal Black Vinyl for the back panels. I'm taking the plunge into this mod!!! Though, I'm not going into this install half-cocked. I'm ordering the inside panels from work, so if I mess up, I'll still have a second set. I'll get the sline tool, and adhesive this weekend and should start on it next week, once the material and panels arrive!!
Old 9/11/09, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just finished mine two days ago. I didn't have any clear silicone so I used black silicone. It turned out fine, just had to be a bit neater....