05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Improved Shaker 1000... Pics

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after finally getting around to installing the amp I'd have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. While I do notice a difference in sound quality and output, I expected there to be much more of a noticable difference verses just a 'slight' one. This differs bigtime from when I replaced stock speakers and door subs with the upgraded 'shelby' set. The difference was immediate and pretty dramatic IMO.

The instructions were pretty easy to follow though I did end up needing to call Kicker Tech when I was installing due to one plug that was not mentioned in the instructions at all or where to attach it. Finally after debating for a few minutes with the tech guy we both came to the conclusion that it was the plug you would attach to the line going to the trunk where you mount your replacement sub you can also purchase as an upgrade to the standard shaker 1000. Evidently, in the Shaker systems without the amp, the radio control the sub. When you add the amp to the mix, it takes over control to it (though if you choose not to replace the sub, you leave all the connections as is and the radio continues to run it as before).

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the sound system upgrade. I'm still eyeing the sub for the trunk pretty hard since it is smaller but performs better and would give me additional trunk room. Whether or not I end up ordering it remains to be seen.

Figured I'd mention for anyone else who might be considering the changeover to the shelby package. Again, I definately think upgrading the speakers was the most obvious improvement and the thing I'm most satisfied with.

Andretti
Old 7/8/10, 06:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andretti1
Well after finally getting around to installing the amp I'd have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed. While I do notice a difference in sound quality and output, I expected there to be much more of a noticable difference verses just a 'slight' one. This differs bigtime from when I replaced stock speakers and door subs with the upgraded 'shelby' set. The difference was immediate and pretty dramatic IMO.

The instructions were pretty easy to follow though I did end up needing to call Kicker Tech when I was installing due to one plug that was not mentioned in the instructions at all or where to attach it. Finally after debating for a few minutes with the tech guy we both came to the conclusion that it was the plug you would attach to the line going to the trunk where you mount your replacement sub you can also purchase as an upgrade to the standard shaker 1000. Evidently, in the Shaker systems without the amp, the radio control the sub. When you add the amp to the mix, it takes over control to it (though if you choose not to replace the sub, you leave all the connections as is and the radio continues to run it as before).

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the sound system upgrade. I'm still eyeing the sub for the trunk pretty hard since it is smaller but performs better and would give me additional trunk room. Whether or not I end up ordering it remains to be seen.

Figured I'd mention for anyone else who might be considering the changeover to the shelby package. Again, I definately think upgrading the speakers was the most obvious improvement and the thing I'm most satisfied with.

Andretti
Hey Andretti, I see that you're still at it... It's too bad that it did not turn out as well as you'd like. I think that another problem with the overall system is speaker placement. There should be some type of tweeters or mids in the dash or A-pillar. The main sound source is jumbled at the knee area. This, and the poor acoustical environment of the car make achieving the perfect sound a challenge. I'm sure that the HU is partially to blame as well. I'm kind of glad that I stopped with just the KSs... I'm satisfied for now. Nice job with the install. Keep us updated.
Old 9/26/22, 02:25 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,736 Likes on 2,026 Posts
What a Great Old thread! I've been Kicking Around For Years Doing Pretty Much the Same to My Gt-500 With Shaker 1000. Yep this is the Kind of Threads We Used to Do All the Time Here. 2 Guests Reading it Right Now!

47K views! Gets a Sticky!

Andretti

I got this off the Bottom of Andretti's Sig in Post 41. That was My Late Son. We Really Were One Big Family Back Then! Andretti's Last Post Was in 2013 Last Activity 2020. We Lost Andrew in 2011. Just Amazing to Find this!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...cancer-482124/

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/26/22 at 02:50 PM.