The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   Improved Shaker 1000... Pics (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/improved-shaker-1000-pics-482936/)

SteelTownStang 5/5/10 05:20 PM

Improved Shaker 1000... Pics

8 Attachment(s)
upgraded the speakers in my Shaker 1000 with Kicker KS680 (2 sets) and what a difference it made… I had maintained a belief that the head unit and amps were sufficient enough to drive the system, but the speakers were lacking something. Upon the conversion this theory proved to be true.

The issue that I was experiencing was predicated on the overwhelming bass that drowned out the mids and highs (treble). I was unable to adjust parameters to achieve a desired uniform sound. The reason for the deficiency was easily uncovered when examining the very cheaply made paper speakers (pictured). I can not believe that Ford would install a product like this in a car as an upgrade and charge $1,300.00.

My intent was to replace the entire system, but I like the OEM appearance of the head unit and, as mentioned, sufficient enough... Also, there was really no need the change the rear/trunk sub as it provides adequate lows. Lastly, I elected to retain the door subs… for now. They also are capable of providing passable lows and are of much higher quality than the rear deck single units and the upper door two-way units.

COST: Kicker KS680- $49.95 a set x 2 @ http://www.millionbuy.com/kik08ks680.html, as compared to $129.99 a set x 2 @ http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_2...680.html?tp=92. A difference of $160.00. Crutchfield includes the wiring hardness (Metra 72-5600), which I purchased 2 sets on ebay for $9.99 a pair- so the actual difference is about $140.00. You can read the links for yourself if you’d like regarding the Kicker speakers. They are a little better than the DS680 and are manufactured very well.

INSTALLATION: I have had some experience moding car stereos and speakers, so I found it to be pretty simple; however, if you take your time and purchase the hardnesses, then it’s an easy plug and play project.

Rear Deck Speaker Replacement (2007+) involves the removal of the rear seat. Simply push up on the two tabs below the knee area and lift. Both of the rear lower side panels will also have to be removed. They are held in place by 3 plastic push pins each (1- bottom heel area, 1- bottom seat area, and 1- upper head area). You will have to lift up on the sill plate corners, but they don’t have to be removed. Finally, the rear deck panel has to be removed. It is held in place by 4 plastic push pins- 2 on each side by the seat belts. The speakers are held in place by 4 (each) 20mm torque screws. Tools used are pictured. Note: I was going to install the new speakers from underneath (reversing the plastic speaker clips) to simplify this process if I elect a change in the future, however, I was unable to get a proper seal so I installed the speakers in the existing position. Furthermore, it really was not as difficult as it may seem to access the speakers. Installation time- about an hour.

Door Speaker Replacement involves the removal of the interior door skin(s), which are attached by 8- 7mm screws (7- along the perimeter and 1- behind the window switch) and 2- 30mm torque bolts (1- behind the door handle panel and 1- behind the armrest panel). As mentioned, the door window switch panel will have to be revolved. Push up and pull out (2 pieces). The panel behind the door handle is difficult to remove. I fabricated a piece of wire and made it into a hook to slide behind the panel and pulled. It came right off without damage. Remove the panel behind the arm rest. Remove the side mirror "switch" cover (pull off). Lastly, remove the door lock pin (unscrew) and its panel (lift-up). The speakers are held in place by 4 (each) 20mm torque screws. Repeat on the other side... Installation time- about an hours- totaling 2 hours for the replacement of all 4 speakers.

CONCLUSION: The acoustics are greatly improved for a cost of around $100.00. I can hear nuances in the music that have gone unnoticed until now. The mids and highs are crisp and clear. I popped in my Tool, 10,000 Days CD and it sounded incredible. I intentionally turned the volume up (about 75%) and drove around for approximately 25 minutes while focusing on any signs of distortion. The only distortion experienced resulted from my ears ringing when I got out... I highly recommend this mod for those of you who like the Shaker 1000, but don’t love it. Everyone has their own interpretation of sound, i.e., exhaust. What I find to be lacking (mids and highs) may not be what someone else observes, however, if you concur with my original assessment, then you’ll be very happy with this affordable improvement mod. It’s truly a different stereo system.

SteelTownStang 5/5/10 05:21 PM

7 Attachment(s)
More pics...

RedDragon777 5/6/10 12:29 AM

I am surprised you removed the rear seat. I swapped out my rear deck speakers for some Pioneer 3-ways and all i did was drop the rear seats down and popped off the grilles and just got a small ratchet wrench with a Torx bit and got the screws out.

SteelTownStang 5/6/10 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by RedDragon777 (Post 5862664)
I am surprised you removed the rear seat. I swapped out my rear deck speakers for some Pioneer 3-ways and all i did was drop the rear seats down and popped off the grilles and just got a small ratchet wrench with a Torx bit and got the screws out.

That would be nice, but on 2007+ there are no grills to pop off. You have to remove the entire deck panel to access the speakers as pictured. To remove the deck panel you have to remove the side panels, to remove the side panels you have to remove the seat. I guess that you could maneuver the panels around the seat, however, this task would be very difficult and would risk damaging the seat... as well as the panels.

Andretti1 5/9/10 06:29 PM

Gotta say thanks for mentioning this. I've had plans on upgrading my shaker 1000 to the 'shelby premium sound system' in the next few months. Once I saw your post and looked a bit harder at shelbys site, I realized the speakers you mentioned were infact the same ones they'd be more than happy to sell you for $100 a pair.

Since I can still get the rest of the stuff seperately, I just went ahead and ordered the wire adapters as well as two sets of speakers. I didnt save as much as you did, but of the sales I found on ebay only one seller was 'kicker authorized' and did the one year warrenty as well as confirming they were 'new' and not 'used or refurbished' (the link you provided only showed '1' pair in stock still and I didnt want to get hit for seperate shipping from two different sellers). I ended up paying $60 per pair so I only saved around $80 or so compaired to your $100, but if the sound is that much improved as you mention, I'm more than content with that. Between the new speakers and the dynomat I've already purchased and have sitting in my garage ready to be installed in my car, I'm really expecting the stereo to be much improved.

Thanks for sharing.

Andretti

RedDragon777 5/9/10 07:01 PM

either way the one thing i hated about the rear speakers is the angle of the rear glass makes removing the rear speakers a bit more rough. I had to really angle them right to get them out and the install of the new speakers meant the same thing.

SallyStang 5/10/10 06:34 AM

You've motivated me. I ordered my speakers last night.

I've been doing a search to see how to replace the rear speakers on a 2009 converible. I found how to replace the front speakers on a you tube video that shows exactly how to take the door skin off and shows replacing the rear speakers of a coup but I haven't found how to replace a converibles rear speakers. Can anyone help me?

IHVOCD 5/12/10 08:47 PM

So they are the same as these?
http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/ka-6x8-speaker.htm

Andretti1 5/13/10 08:26 AM

yeah, thats them, but he got two pairs of them for the same price they charge for one. Mine were slightly more expensive, but even then, I got my two pairs for $115.

Andretti

IHVOCD 5/14/10 12:18 PM

Would these be ok to run with the stock shaker 500 amps?:dunno:

Doogie 5/14/10 01:11 PM

Good info as I was considering an upgrade for my speakers and this is definitely a much better solution than paying double from Shelby.

Looks like there are multiple places out there that have them in the $60 range including Amazon.

SteelTownStang 5/14/10 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by IHVOCD (Post 5868092)

As Andretti already informed... they appears to be the same. The DS680 are a lesser model (less watts) and have a yellow circle around the cone. I'd say that Shelby is including the KS680 in their package, if not, then whatever they are using looks exactly the same w/ equivalent wattage...

Originally Posted by IHVOCD (Post 5869569)
Would these be ok to run with the stock shaker 500 amps?:dunno:

Yes. The 500 amps are driving similar wattages... The only major difference with the 1000 is the addition of the trunk sub.

Originally Posted by Doogie (Post 5869600)
Good info as I was considering an upgrade for my speakers and this is definitely a much better solution than paying double from Shelby.

Looks like there are multiple places out there that have them in the $60 range including Amazon.

Yeah, shop around... or even try ebay or Froogle. As mentioned, I was able to purchase 2 sets for $100.00. You should be able to find something close to that price range. Just make sure that they are not refurbished...

Andretti1 5/14/10 08:25 PM

I actually got mine today from where I purchased them on ebay. Probably the fastest I have ever received something. Hell, I'm STILL waiting on the **** roller your suppose to use when you lay the dynomat and I ordered it off ebay on May 3rd. The speakers and plug adapters I ordered on the 9th and got yesterday and the day before.....

Andretti

SteelTownStang 5/15/10 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Andretti1 (Post 5869893)
I actually got mine today from where I purchased them on ebay. Probably the fastest I have ever received something. Hell, I'm STILL waiting on the **** roller your suppose to use when you lay the dynomat and I ordered it off ebay on May 3rd. The speakers and plug adapters I ordered on the 9th and got yesterday and the day before.....

Andretti

Great. Let me know how it works out for you...

Andretti1 5/18/10 06:04 PM

I finally got time to install the speakers today. Needless to say, those rear speakers are a PAIN in the butt. Thankfully the rear screws werent extremely tight, or I might never have gotten them out. The back passenger screw was for me, the very worst to remove.

I'm extremely glad you did your write up Steel. Was a big help and I likely wouldnt have done it at all had I not seen your post and how much money you saved getting them this way. I will need to pull everything out of my trunk and start working forward with Dynomat now, but since I have a car show this weekend I likely wont start on it till next week some time.

Only other thing I did notice was that my original front speakers looked different than yours did and I had to bend a tab on each of the replacement speakers up front or they wouldnt have fit in the bracket the stock speakers were in. Even with that, it was about as easy an update as I've ever done (by myself) so I'm extremely appreciative with your post and writeup. I do think the sound is nicer and more clear as well, but will need to put some driving time in the car to be sure. Eitther way, those are the speakers I would have installed as part of the Shelby sound package, so I'm very happy with it.

Thanks again. I'll post the few pics I took of my different front speaker and the tab I had to bend here in a day or two when I get around to it.

Thanks again

Andretti

SteelTownStang 5/19/10 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Andretti1 (Post 5872533)
I finally got time to install the speakers today. Needless to say, those rear speakers are a PAIN in the butt. Thankfully the rear screws werent extremely tight, or I might never have gotten them out. The back passenger screw was for me, the very worst to remove.

I'm extremely glad you did your write up Steel. Was a big help and I likely wouldnt have done it at all had I not seen your post and how much money you saved getting them this way. I will need to pull everything out of my trunk and start working forward with Dynomat now, but since I have a car show this weekend I likely wont start on it till next week some time.

Only other thing I did notice was that my original front speakers looked different than yours did and I had to bend a tab on each of the replacement speakers up front or they wouldnt have fit in the bracket the stock speakers were in. Even with that, it was about as easy an update as I've ever done (by myself) so I'm extremely appreciative with your post and writeup. I do think the sound is nicer and more clear as well, but will need to put some driving time in the car to be sure. Eitther way, those are the speakers I would have installed as part of the Shelby sound package, so I'm very happy with it.

Thanks again. I'll post the few pics I took of my different front speaker and the tab I had to bend here in a day or two when I get around to it.

Thanks again

Andretti

Andretti, Thanks! I'm glad that everything worked out for you. I had to bend the end tabs on the door speakers as well... actually one one tab on each speaker. Enjoy your "new" stereo. :metal:

Rash 5/20/10 12:47 PM

Frequency response on the Shelbys: 30hz - 21khz
Frequency response on the Kicker KS680: 45hz -21khz

Maybe not the same?

WaltM 5/20/10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rash (Post 5874114)
Frequency response on the Shelbys: 30hz - 21khz
Frequency response on the Kicker KS680: 45hz -21khz

Maybe not the same?

A little short on the Kicker low end, but I'd doubt anyone would notice, especially if it's a Shaker 1000 with the trunk sub to "fill out" the bottom end...

06GT 5/20/10 01:26 PM

The first improvement you can make to the Shaker 1000 is to make it a Shaker 500 instead

IHVOCD 5/20/10 08:51 PM

Why's that?