05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Ignition Chime not working

Old 6/13/15, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Chime not working

I have a problem I'm trying to figure out. I know people are gonna say it's not working so don't worry about it. But these little reminders are helpful. When I put my key in ignition it doesn't ding. Only time it dings is if I push in the ignition switch with key already inserted. Also when I buckle my seat belt the goes out but if I unbuckle it it doesn't come back on or ding to remind you to buckle your seat belt but it works on passenger side. The the headlights doesn't ding if you leave headlights on and your exiting the car. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 6/13/15, 05:18 PM

Has this happen to anyone. Does anyone know what is causing the problem.
Old 6/13/15, 10:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Your problems all seem to be related, so it sounds like it could be a Smart Junction Box (SBJ) problem. You should be able to have it reflashed to original. If the box has been wet or shows signs of corrosion, that is where I would check. These problems are more common to the 05-06 years, less so after then. Good luck.
Old 6/14/15, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Your problems all seem to be related, so it sounds like it could be a Smart Junction Box (SBJ) problem. You should be able to have it reflashed to original. If the box has been wet or shows signs of corrosion, that is where I would check. These problems are more common to the 05-06 years, less so after then. Good luck.

Where is the Smart Junction Box located. Mine is an 08 GT
Old 6/14/15, 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Right side kick panel where the cover is openable. You pull the sill panel on the right and then remove the whole kick panel as an assembly to get full access to the SBJ. Check your ground wires (you can't miss the ground wires) to make sure they get a good tight fit.

If you go with replacing it, (if it's the culprit) replace it with NEW, not used. You never know about used being good, so why spend the money for a questionable item. Your SBJ will start with the number 8. Only later numbers will work. Never use a SBJ that is of a lesser Ford part number than the item you are replacing. In other words, don't use a 7R3T-15604-BF or one that starts with 5R or 6R for your replacement part. You should have an 8, 9, A, B, or C first character for a replacement part for the SBJ for a 2008. Earlier numbers, unless that is the code you have now, may not work correctly. Remember, they are programmed to do specific function for specific models. They have to be programmed to work correctly. Even new modules need a dealer to reprogram them to your serial number. Hope this helps.
Old 6/15/15, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Right side kick panel where the cover is openable. You pull the sill panel on the right and then remove the whole kick panel as an assembly to get full access to the SBJ. Check your ground wires (you can't miss the ground wires) to make sure they get a good tight fit.

If you go with replacing it, (if it's the culprit) replace it with NEW, not used. You never know about used being good, so why spend the money for a questionable item. Your SBJ will start with the number 8. Only later numbers will work. Never use a SBJ that is of a lesser Ford part number than the item you are replacing. In other words, don't use a 7R3T-15604-BF or one that starts with 5R or 6R for your replacement part. You should have an 8, 9, A, B, or C first character for a replacement part for the SBJ for a 2008. Earlier numbers, unless that is the code you have now, may not work correctly. Remember, they are programmed to do specific function for specific models. They have to be programmed to work correctly. Even new modules need a dealer to reprogram them to your serial number. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the good information. My question is how can I find out that the SJB needs replaced. This thing isn't cheap. I don't want to spend money on something that isn't gonna fix the issue.
Old 6/15/15, 11:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You are just going to have to have someone do a diagnostic check on your car. My local dealer charges $130 per hour, which is total highway robbery. I'm sure that yours must be cheaper than the one here in Anchorage.

Call the Service writer at your dealer, and ask them what they entail doing a check on your car for the stated problems. If it is a SJB, they are going to have to program it anyways, so in this case, the dealer may be your only option. Sorry. I don't know many independent auto shops who have those capabilities here. Maybe where you live, it is different. Good luck.
Old 6/16/15, 04:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Check the carpet to see if it's wet, a lot of the problems with the SJB is because it gets wet. Ford did a bad job of sealing the seams and a lot of our cars leak onto it.
Old 6/16/15, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll call the dealership and see what they have to say.