05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

I want some PIE-but have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/06, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've read a bunch of threads on the PIE adapter from Logjam. Looks promising but some questions for those of you who have installed and are using.

1) Anyone done it with a XM Myfi? It does include a cable to output to the RCA connectors and the car mount has an outlet for it but is there any issue with the "power" of the Myfi vs things like the XM Commander/Roady that would make this an undesirable setup? I love being able to take the Myfi with me into work and continue to enjoy at my desk or anywhere I go (I'm using the Arkon Flexneck mount in the Pony).

2) Display - Once connected to the PIE adapter does the display show the XM station/song info or just "PIE"??? I don't think there is anything displayed but just want to be clear. Would be a BONUS if that info showed up.

Thanks in advance for your input...I've talked with installers about the hookup to the FM antenna you can buy and didn't hear anything good about it...ie. no improvement in sound quality of the FM modulator.
Old 1/5/06, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by GMAYS@January 4, 2006, 7:09 PM
Ok, I've read a bunch of threads on the PIE adapter from Logjam. Looks promising but some questions for those of you who have installed and are using.

1) Anyone done it with a XM Myfi? It does include a cable to output to the RCA connectors and the car mount has an outlet for it but is there any issue with the "power" of the Myfi vs things like the XM Commander/Roady that would make this an undesirable setup? I love being able to take the Myfi with me into work and continue to enjoy at my desk or anywhere I go (I'm using the Arkon Flexneck mount in the Pony).

2) Display - Once connected to the PIE adapter does the display show the XM station/song info or just "PIE"??? I don't think there is anything displayed but just want to be clear. Would be a BONUS if that info showed up.

Thanks in advance for your input...I've talked with installers about the hookup to the FM antenna you can buy and didn't hear anything good about it...ie. no improvement in sound quality of the FM modulator.

I installed the PIE adapter with an XM Commander. Works great. The display shows PIE when in AUX mode. I went this route instead of an aftermarket HU because with a vert I really liked having the speed sensitive volume.

There is plenty of room below the Shaker systems to put the PIE unit, and then you can adjust the output if needed ( I did 3 times) by just removing the side panel by the drivers knee.

Powered both the XM commander, and the PIE from the AUX socket. No problems.

Jim
Old 1/5/06, 08:21 AM
GT Member

I don't have XM, but I can say that the PIE does not display anything on the stereo no matter what you hook up to it. It's it audio only.

I keep my ipod in the center console. I ran a 13mm to RCA cable to the PIE. I power the ipod with a cigarette lighter power adaptor plugged into the console power outlet. I believe you can do the same with the XM, but you have the antenna to deal with also.
Old 1/6/06, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by evilernie@January 5, 2006, 8:24 AM
I don't have XM, but I can say that the PIE does not display anything on the stereo no matter what you hook up to it. It's it audio only.

I keep my ipod in the center console. I ran a 13mm to RCA cable to the PIE. I power the ipod with a cigarette lighter power adaptor plugged into the console power outlet. I believe you can do the same with the XM, but you have the antenna to deal with also.
With the Shaker 500, and the PIE, when you press the aux button the display on the radio will show either PIE or Crystal (somthing).. when you press the aux button it swithes between the PIE display and the Crystal.

This is info passed on to the radio through the CAN bus interface.

There maybe nothing on the standard radio though, as I do not have that one.

Jim
Old 1/10/06, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by JPepping@January 6, 2006, 9:53 AM
With the Shaker 500, and the PIE, when you press the aux button the display on the radio will show either PIE or Crystal (somthing).. when you press the aux button it swithes between the PIE display and the Crystal.

This is info passed on to the radio through the CAN bus interface.

There maybe nothing on the standard radio though, as I do not have that one.

Jim
So if it actually has the ability to display data I wonder if anyone will come up with an adapter that will display the artist and song info. Just a thought since it sounds like the CAN Bus is more than just a dumb audio connection.
Old 1/10/06, 08:27 PM
GT Member

The display is the same no matter what is plugged into it.
Old 1/11/06, 03:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks to all for the clarifications!! Still mulling this mod over.