05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

How To Disply Album Art On The DNX7100

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Disply Album Art On The DNX7100

How to consistently get album art to display on the Kenwood DNX7100.

First, the option to display the album art is only available for music being played from a USB device and not from a CD/DVD. I am not sure about iPods because I don't have one and have no plans of getting one so this information basically applies to USB flash drives.

The music needs to be ripped or added to the music library of Media Player 11 in MP3 format. Media Player 11 will generally find MP3 tag information and album art for ripped music from the Internet. Sometimes, but rarely, Media Player 11 will tag the album art to the MP3 file. If for some reason there is no album art in Media Player 11 it can be cut and pasted into it from any source such as Amazon. com's music store. For the album art to display on the DNX7100 it must be part of the MP3 tag for every MP3 music file.

I tried a number of MP3 tag tools with absolutely no luck to begin with. I still use them to get the MP3 tags to read the way I like them but whatever they were used to tag album art it did not work with the DNX7100.

So here's the bottom line for what consistently does work:

After finding the album art to be displayed or Media Player 11 has found it, use the "Advanced Tag Editor" of Media Player 11. To access it right click on any song within Media Player 11 and select "Advanced Tag Editor" from the list of available functions. Next click on the tab the says "Pictures". Now click add. This will open the directory where the MP3 file you are trying to add album art to resides. If Media Player 11 has automatically downloaded album art is will show in this directory. Important!!! Show hidden files must be enabled in Windows Explore because the album art is set as a system file and will have the hidden file attribute. Next click on an image file, preferably one of the ones that state something to the effect of being large, and click open. Album art from another directory can also be used if preferred. Now the image to be added will display in the dialog box of Advanced Tag Editor. Set "Picture Type" to "Cover (Front)" and click apply. More then one image can be added but the DNX7100 will only display the first one in the list. If for some reason the album art does not show after this process the MP3 file more then likely had other album art of an incompatible type in it. You will need to remove all picture tags from the file using an MP3 tag editor such as MP3 Tag Tools 1.2.8 freely available on the Internet and start this process over.

Now copy the MP3 files to the USB flash drive and enjoy seeing album art rather then the blank box with "No Photo" were a picture should be. Album art can also be displayed in a larger format by touching on the "Info" button on the touch screen and scrolling down to "Artwork". It may be necessary to touch the lower left green arrow to get to the menu with the "Info" button.

Enjoy...