05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Head Unit advice

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/08, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit advice

Ok so I need to decide on a good head unit replacement. First off I want a double so it fills the whole opening no problem. I want it to be able to do a backup camera and I need to know which to do on that note also. Also I want it to play dvd's and I would like it to come with a good navigation. Now I think this is basically all of my requests I need to know what you guys suggestions are. Here is one I found on crutchfield that I dig.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...0AVICZ2X&tp=75

Would this work for the rear back up camera? Has anyone done this? How bad is the install? My only problem with it is the price. I had wanted to keep the whole thing under 1k if possible but open to suggestions. Thanks guys!
Old 6/5/08, 10:14 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I can't comment on the head unit as mine is the JVC with everything you want but no nav option.

As far as the backup camera I started with a bullet camera like Taco Bill used in his how-to-list and installed it in the trunk key hole, I liked it but upon washing one day I got the camera wet and once it dried out it looked like poop. I did not want to see the camera on the rear of the vehicle..period...it was not an option. So I opted for this setup, the license plate camera. Video is great and you would never know there is a camera back there.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=cameras&tp=83
Old 6/5/08, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wanted to do a bullet camera like taco bill as well but wasn't sure where to find it or how much it would run me. I really don't want to see the camera on the back at all either which is why I wanted to find one to insert in the key hole. Just wasn't sure where it was. If you could advise on that I'd appreciate it. As for the JVC I know the one you are talking about but I wanted Nav on it. No matter what I really want Nav.
Old 6/5/08, 11:25 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
The bullet camera for the keyhole in the trunk acutally came free with the JVC at the time. So that was another reason I did that. I just messed it up with the install. There are other places on the web to get color bullet cameras the main thing I focused on was the diameter. You can remove the key cylinder fairly easily and take a look to see what you think. I was really happy with it until I got it wet, and I could probably figure a better way to keep it dry if I did it again. As far as the cameras go their connections are almost all alike. They will have some kind of composite video connection that you'll connect to the camera feed on you head unit. ANd there will be a wire from the head unit that you'll have to tap into the reverse light wires in or around the rear tail lamps. And they will have a ground and a power wire that is just a 12v source. You can run it up to the fuse box and do an add a fuse in one of the empty slots described in the owners manual.
Here is a link to some cameras, I have ordered from this sight for my home security cameras. You also won't need to distinguish between home and car as a camera is a camera but you are worried about size and water resistance.

http://www.hometech.com/video/camc.html#CV-6325B
Old 6/5/08, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

The Kenwood 7019 and up, Alpine W205, Jensen (can't remember model #), and some Eclipses offer everything you want. I went for Kenwood due to its advanced USB options, but that was important to me.
Old 6/5/08, 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can you show me pics infinity? Also it looks like it's "ready" for kenwood navigation what does that mean and how much does that cost? I've actually been wanting to ask you a couple other things as well. If I want to increase my low's should I simply add a 10" sub to the trunk or should I replace my speakers in the doors? (have shaker 500) If I did doors what would my options be on that and do any of them change the look up? I don't particularly like the look of the factory door subs so much. Thanks!

wait just found the navigation item 800 bucks... **** that sucks didn't realize it was so pricey.

Last edited by buck; 6/5/08 at 02:26 PM.
Old 6/6/08, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok so I found a local company running a sale on the kenwood.... $499 for the 7019 and then $1099 for the 7120. The difference being the 7120 already has built in navigation and the 7019 does not. Seems like a pretty decent deal.

Now I need to know what my options are for door subs from the shaker 500. I want to do it all at once and the special runs this weekend only. Advice please!
Old 6/6/08, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok it seems I'm talking to myself but I found forge's post discussing his door subs and I think I am going to go with the kicker 8"" SS and simply paint the grill and trim black to match my interior. Now on to my next question LOL. I need a amp obviously to power these and at some point I might put a sub in the trunk nothing fancy just a 10" for the low bass.

Knowing this what amp should I go with? I pretty much know nothing on this stuff so HELP!!
Old 6/6/08, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

So when I went and checked everything out the guy convinced me to go with a 4-channel Exile amp so that at some point later I could change out my other set of door speakers to have a very good all around sound. Anyone heard anything good/bad about exile amps? If not any suggestions on other amps to go with?
Old 6/7/08, 05:33 AM
Cobra Member

Nothing wrong with Exile. As long as they put out the power you need, amps are pretty much all the same (within reason).

Oh, and I don't have any pics of the Kenwood in a Stang, but I can get some in a Sport Trac if you'd like. I'll say the Mustang is 1000x easier to install than the ST.
Old 6/9/08, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I asked my wife for some "head unit advice" but she hasn't gotten back to me yet!