05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System
View Poll Results: Would you purchase the listed driver if it was produced in dual 2 ohm?
Yes, I like good sound
92.31%
No, Stangs suck
3.85%
undecided (what does impedence mean anyway?)
3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Guaging interest on custom door subs.

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/06, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guaging interest on custom door subs.

First off, I make no money on these, and I am in no way affiliated with this company. I happened upon these drivers, and I feel they will be a high quality direct drop in replacement for the doors of the 05+ Mustangs. Look at
http://www.lorentz-audio.com/page/LA...af3e3c0ce8afd5
Lorentz Audio.

I have been in near constant contact with Dan at Lorentz about the Neo 8, and he said if there were enough interest that he would produce them in a dual 2 ohm configuration. What this means is that we could directly drop them in and use the stock Shaker amps at full power, or, series the coils and use a standard 4 ohm setup and keep stereo seperation.
My understanding is that the new F150's also use the same 8" woofer that we have as do some Explorers, but that will take some more research on my part. So, just answer the poll so I can get some numbers.

I have preordered the 8-ohm version listed above, and I will be able to comment on fit/finish/sound as soon as I receive them.

Mods, please allow this to stay as, like I said, I am making nothing from this, I just want some good drivers and I can help everyone in doing so.
Old 6/23/06, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

wish i knew this was an option before going through the PITA of installing my JLs.
Old 6/23/06, 03:22 PM
Cobra Member

It wasn't at that point, but I'm trying to make it a reality.
Old 6/25/06, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

bump- c'[mon guys, some responses would be cool also. I need feedback to give to Dan @ Lorentz
Old 6/26/06, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think alot of people would be interested in this, I like the idea. You know Lorentz could also try to sell the idea to a dealership to have them do a dealer mod for this. It worked around my area there was a guy that just came in and asked if he could put billit grills on a few stangs dealer paid him and that was that.
Old 6/26/06, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Id love to find a direct drop in. Especially if it utilized the stock amp and connections. Isnt there 2 pairs of wires? My only question is will this sub deliver powerful lows and thumps? I already replaced all my speakers for mids and highs, so what i need is something to really kick. But I dont wanna break the bank.

What would be REALLY nice is if someone came out with a whole new resonating chamber that would fit bigger subs. Like a kit to replace the amp and wiring and chamber, and then you could choose your own sub.
Old 6/26/06, 11:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the market is there

its just that no one wants to commit untill they are availiable
Old 6/26/06, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats it, Im trying to hold out and wait for something really good that is easy to install. Something that wont require me to fiberglass, melt plastic, or cut into my door to make it fit.

I guess though if these are moderatly powerful, easy to install, very noticable improvement of bass, and under $200.00 for the pair I'd buy.
Old 6/26/06, 05:46 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I'll have a pair of the 8 ohmers soon, so I can then comment on the fit/finish/sound. Adam, if I can get the dual 2-ohm version, it would be a perfect direct drop in, but it would handle a LOT more power than the factory speaker. While it would work well, it wouldn't sound a whole lot different without adding outboard amps. But, this would also allow you to build up in stages. I do feel that at the same wattage that the Lorentz drivers will get louder and stay cleaner (due to lack of power compression). They have probably 4x the linear excursion of the factory speaker. I just pray I'm not getting mine and everyone else's hopes too high.

BTW, I'm also getting a Shaker 1000 enclosure from a guy over at StangNet, and I'll be doing similar to that. There are already a few dozen good drivers that should fit in that, though. Anyone seen the new TC Slims?
http://www.tcsounds.com/news_smt.htm

I've already asked, they won't do an 8. It would be custom tooled, and I don't have the money to back it.
Old 6/26/06, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

i would be in if it were reasonably priced. like the price of the jls or a but cheaper.
Old 6/27/06, 05:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

why is the only choice for no have to say i hate stangs? i wanted to say no because i personally dont mind doing the extra work to get a much better then stock sub in the door and seeing as most aftermarket subs are going to require more power which means another amp you can match the amp to work best with the 8ohm subs if you just want a direct replacment
Old 6/27/06, 10:28 AM
Cobra Member

It says "I hate Stangs" because I was being facetious. Just BS'ng, basically.
Old 6/27/06, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was thinking of doing it slowly or possibly not even replacing the front amps, just the subs. And then going the route of either a molded scosche or MTX sub in the trunk.
Old 6/27/06, 12:13 PM

I would like to know a little more about the proposed custom subs. Will they be true subs or lower response midbass' ?

Thanks,
J
Old 6/27/06, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

I don't have enough parameters to computer model them as of yet, and that would only be a model. I will have the drivers soon, and I'll test them both mechanically and subjectively.
Old 6/27/06, 01:59 PM

What kind of price are we talking ?
Old 6/27/06, 02:38 PM
Cobra Member

They're running about $60 each in current form. I'm sure when it comes to it, there'll be like a group rate or something.
Old 6/27/06, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
They're running about $60 each in current form. I'm sure when it comes to it, there'll be like a group rate or something.

is that 60 eack sub or eack pair? and if thats the retail price then your looking at the quality of a 20-25 doller whole sale sub and you can bet there not going to preform very well
Old 6/27/06, 08:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by vc4life
is that 60 eack sub or eack pair? and if thats the retail price then your looking at the quality of a 20-25 doller whole sale sub and you can bet there not going to preform very well
price does not necessarily equal quality in the audio world.

the idea that it does is how companies like bose sell their junk.
Old 6/27/06, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

price does have alot to do with it. you are not going to get quality from something that cost them 15 bucks to make verses a higher end product that cost more to manufacter

i just saying you get what you pay for

does bose make a great product? yes
is it worth the price they sell them for? i dont think so

sometimes you are paying for the name but if you are compairing 2 companys who are not selling there name like bose then i would bet 9 times out of 10 the one that cost more to make is going to have better quality

Quick Reply: Guaging interest on custom door subs.