05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Fold down rear seats

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fold down rear seats

I just bought a 2006 GT convertible and haven't even had the time to drive it more than a few times, so if I'm missing something here let me know.

All of the factory sales brochures suggest fold-down rear seats were standard in all of this gen Mustangs. But I see the convertible seat is not split, and does not seem to fold. Don't ask me why, but I sort of like the fold-down rear seat on my old Firebird, enough to keep it down much of the time. So I guess I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to retrofit a coupe rear seat back into a convertible. I have done this before to other cars but it usually involves welding in the pivot mounts and a few other things so perhaps someone who owns a coupe can explain what it would take. Also, is there a bulkhead between the trunk and interior of the convertible, below where the top folds, that prevents pass-through?

I'm seeing a 2008 black leather coupe rear seat for sale locally for cheap money so may make this a reality.
Old Today, 03:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Fold-down rear seats re available in the S197 fastbacks, not in the convertibles. Top storage made convertible fold-downs impractical.

The rear seats of the fastbacks and convertibles are not interchangeable, for the same reasons.

Someone may have rigged some sort of conversion kit for it somewhere, but it would likely be a DIY thing now if you could still find it.
Old Today, 10:02 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,901 Likes on 2,137 Posts
Welcome!

Best Info Shop Manual Has!

Be Advised To Measure Seats Side To Side I Think it's Narrower on the Verts!

How about Making a Seat Delete Style Conversion With a Hole in the Center of Sorts That is Hinged! If You are Not Having Rear Passengers!

https://kdezines.com/2005-current-mu...eat-delete-kit

KC
Attached Files