05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Factory radio swap

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/08, 11:55 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory radio swap

OK folks, I have swapped out my stock 06 shaker 500 for an 08 shaker 500 with the chrome rings.

The main reason for the swap was for the RDS. The chrome rings were a bonus.

Now that I have changed them, I have found that even with the speed volume at any setting, it not working.

Also, the MP3 ID tag on my cd's is not working.

Now I would like to know why the speed volume isnt working. Not that I like it, but because it was working on the other unit, and I was getting use to it...

As for the MP3 tag, well I made the CD, therefore I know what the name of the songs are, so thats no biggie.

Ohh also, it appears that the new unit is protruding from the bazel more then the other unit did.
Old 5/23/08, 06:00 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure, but from issues I've heard with Nav radio installs in 2005-6 Mustangs, I think Ford changed the vehicle speed data in later models. As for the MP3 info, the button layout has changed in the 2008 radios. Did you press the Text button to cycle through disk, album, artist, and song displays? Also, fitting the rubber-covered post in the hole in the rear brace is critical to getting an even fit.

=Vic=
Old 5/23/08, 07:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
umm...RDS is on my 06 shaker. You have to hold down the menu button until the option appears and then use the arrow buttons to change it.
Old 5/23/08, 08:19 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Beargap
I am not sure, but from issues I've heard with Nav radio installs in 2005-6 Mustangs, I think Ford changed the vehicle speed data in later models. As for the MP3 info, the button layout has changed in the 2008 radios. Did you press the Text button to cycle through disk, album, artist, and song displays? Also, fitting the rubber-covered post in the hole in the rear brace is critical to getting an even fit.

=Vic=
That makes sense, Yes, I have pushed the text/scan button during playback. It does nothing. Also in the menu, there is no option for how the CD text is displayed. (like on the stock unit.)
Im not sure about the rubber covered post, but the unit is tight against the dash.

Originally Posted by V8Limited
Did you have the new radio programed for your vehicle so it knows what options you have?
I really didnt think I needed to... Its just a radio, no?? Come to think of it, I may have to... While it does get quite loud, volume wise, it appears that that it is almost maxed out (judging by the volume display) yet not as loud as the other unit.

Originally Posted by Cavero
umm...RDS is on my 06 shaker. You have to hold down the menu button until the option appears and then use the arrow buttons to change it.
This unit has the option of show type and show name.

NOW heres is something that I just found out.
With the rds ON, I do not get the mp3 tag info, HOWEVER, with the rds OFF I do!
So I guess if I want to see whats on the cd's, I need to toggle off the rds prior to playing a cd....
Old 5/23/08, 08:38 PM
GT Member

Well, I dont know what I did, but I it is now displaying the mp3 info with the rds on..

So it looks like everything but the speed volume is working.. And to tell ya the truth, I never really liked that feature anyway.

Still havent taken the dash apart to see if I had seated the rubber nub in the mounting bracket. again no biggie...
Old 5/24/08, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by V8Limited
I'm not sure if the standard CD6 radios need to be programed like the navigation ones do. I would think you do since the radios are basically the same across the vehicle line with exceptions for the front cosmetics ie.Shaker500 wording. On the navigation radios there are MANY different parameters that can be programed. I had mine done at Chicago Parts and Sound, call Ray and ask him if yours needs to be done. 630-350-1500
I'll be calling him Tuesday! Thanks for the info.
Old 5/25/08, 03:16 PM
V6 Member

I swapped my stock radio from my 2005 with a 2008 Shaker 500, the chrome rings a big reason, everything else a bonus! I have had no issues with the swap, other than the adapter for the antenna. No reprogramming. When I installed, it did appear to not work correctly, then seemed to reprogram itself and now works like a rock star.

—Doug
Attached Thumbnails Factory radio swap-radio_swap_comp.jpg  
Old 5/26/08, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by retro_pony
I swapped my stock radio from my 2005 with a 2008 Shaker 500, the chrome rings a big reason, everything else a bonus! I have had no issues with the swap, other than the adapter for the antenna. No reprogramming. When I installed, it did appear to not work correctly, then seemed to reprogram itself and now works like a rock star.

—Doug
Yeah same thing here,,, but I still dont have the speed volume. Do YOU???

It also appears that your is sticking out further then the old unit,,, or is that just me??
And for the record, how did you get the climate controls electrical apart?? The fan wires just unplugged, but the other side was a *****!! No room... So I left that side connected, and just moved the bezel around to get to the screws... Would be nice to get it out of the way when I get around to checking if I have the rubber nub seated in the bracket (in the back of the unit) to see if I can get it to sit flusher with the bezel.
Old 5/29/08, 08:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doug....Im looking at doing the Exact same thing.
I have an 05 that is not compatible to the aftermarket satellite hook up
and I would like that and an ipod. Is the 08 radio the way to go?
Old 5/29/08, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

Lampoon, I believe the iPod accessory is in the glove box or armrest on the new 08s. I simply use a FM transmitter for my iPod.
Old 5/30/08, 09:17 AM
GT Member

UPDATE!!!

Well, I was mistaken all along....

The Speed volume IS WORKING!!!! but unlike the original unit, its not such a drastic change in the volume.... This I like!!!!
Old 6/23/08, 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Busted
Yeah same thing here,,, but I still dont have the speed volume. Do YOU???

It also appears that your is sticking out further then the old unit,,, or is that just me??
And for the record, how did you get the climate controls electrical apart?? The fan wires just unplugged, but the other side was a *****!! No room... So I left that side connected, and just moved the bezel around to get to the screws... Would be nice to get it out of the way when I get around to checking if I have the rubber nub seated in the bracket (in the back of the unit) to see if I can get it to sit flusher with the bezel.
We discussed the problem with disconnecting the lower right connector in a very old thread. It's still available but the pictures aren't linked any longer. The discussion is at:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=404452

and post #14 describes how to undo that catch. I went back and found the picture that I discuss in that post - and it's attached below.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Factory radio swap-124_2438.jpg