05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/05, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have to try it in a friends car first
Old 4/8/05, 07:27 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have searched the internet high and low for this button and I can't find it anywhere for sale. I went to pepboys and they had nothing.

I did however find the button from the manufacturer here:

http://www.motormite.com/pdfs/Pulse%20Fx%2...tite%20Sell.pdf

It's a Conduct Tite/Motormite/Pulse FX part number 84820. I'm going to go back to pepboys and ask if they have any or if they can order one.

I also found a genuine honda S2000 starter button that fits in a lighter socket like this one. It isn't lighted though I don't think. I'm going to call the local honda dealer and see if they have any. This place sells them:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-04.html

I don't want to get one of the Ignited brand switches, because they say INGNITED right on the button face
Old 4/9/05, 11:06 PM
V6 Member

I am thinking of getting a remote start put in. This requires a bypass module which makes the car think that there is a key in the ignition when it receives the signal from the remote. With this in mind, I have a feeling that If I were to install that button if someone broke into my car and hit the button, the car would start and they would drive away.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this.

Old 4/11/05, 07:05 PM
Bullitt Member

So cool that is a really good tutorial we should start a tutorial section on the page some whear maby another section of the forums under 05 stang?
Old 4/11/05, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by hazedav@April 10, 2005, 1:09 AM
I am thinking of getting a remote start put in. This requires a bypass module which makes the car think that there is a key in the ignition when it receives the signal from the remote. With this in mind, I have a feeling that If I were to install that button if someone broke into my car and hit the button, the car would start and they would drive away.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this.

you would still need the key in the ignition to drive away with it I think
Old 4/13/05, 01:45 AM
V6 Member

i believe with remote start systems. once you place your foot on the brake with no key in acc/run postion the car will shut down. the remote key just "tricks" the electronic chip enabling the factory starter system.Sure with a remote system the car's computer/key chip are tricked into thinking it's always in/on. That is how you can remotaly start the car without being inside. That is where the alarms starter and fuel cut off systems come into play. If you arm you car you have nothing to worry about, because the alarms would overide the factory starter kill.

What you would have to worry about is if you
1) had a remote start system
2) with the start buttom setup
3)Than on top of that you didn't arm your car
4) somebody push the button.
Than yes my understanding would be they could drive away with no key in the ignition.

BUT than i think the steering wheel would lock up. Who know it could happen.

Or they could just load it onto a flat bed pickup(less than 5min) like they did twice to my 1990 mustang.
Old 4/14/05, 11:17 PM

So I got my Honda S2000 button. The Honda part number is 35881-S2A-911. I read elsewhere that the button will require "fitting". I dunno about this car. I measure the minimum diameter for it to fit is 1.266".

[attachmentid=17849]

There is a light bulb inside of it. It comes with a little cover over it. I guess if you wanted the light it would have to be taken off.

read on to next post
Old 4/14/05, 11:20 PM

There are 5 pins on the back. I know that 3 of them are ground, line out, and line in for the switch. I can only hope that the other 2 are positive and ground for the light. Now I have to find some kind of wiring connector for this thing. If all else fails I will just solder/crimp wires to the pins.

[attachmentid=17850]
Old 4/26/05, 09:31 PM

Ok I have the car now and I built a huge wiring harness that plugs into the start button with no soldering, it connects to the pins. Since the light cannot be dimmed (darn) I will be connecting the power directly to the fuse box with a piggy back cable so the power to the button only comes on with the key turned (double bonus). No soldering will be done, is all done with crimps and wire taps. Everything is prewired ready for the install. The big pain the butt will be cutting the dash hole bigger, but I have the tools to do it. If it doesn't rain Friday or Saturday I will install it and post a report with pics.
Old 4/26/05, 09:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking forward to it. Why can't the light be dimmed? Just as long as you've got 2 power sources (one for the bulb, one to push power to the starter) going to the button, you should be able to. :scratch:
Old 4/26/05, 10:17 PM

There are 5 leads but only 3 of them work: power in, ground, and power out. I was hoping the other 2 were for the light but no luck. The light isn't very bright at all so dimming it wouldn't do any good anyway. I just don't want the power to be on all the time so it's lit when the car is off. I'll buy one of those double fuse plugs to tap into the power windows or something at the fuse box, which only has power when the key is turned. I'll run it on a 3 amp fuse as well. At least the switch won't have power to it with no key in it.

The major drag is that the hole in the dash isn't big enough, it has to be made bigger, MUCH BIGGER. The thing will basically perfectly fit the entire recessed area. It isn't designed to fit in a power port like yours. The diameter is over 1.25" and a power port is around .75". I'll mark it with a template (to get a near perfect circle) and dremel away. I'm not real crazy about doing this. I'm going to hook up the switch first and activate it a bunch of times before I dremel the hole.
Old 4/27/05, 08:51 AM
GT Member

When doing something like this, do you leave the negative cable connected on your battery, or disconnect both the positive and negative cables?
Old 4/27/05, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dustin, they make a drill bit for doing this. I cant for the life of me remember the name but electricians use it alot for instance. it is a bit that is stepped for various diameters. It starts at say 1/2" and then graduates up in like 1/8" steps. You stop drilling inward when you get to the size you want. Alot easier than oopsying with a dremel.
Old 4/27/05, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dustin..I think it is called a "Uni Bit". Took me a while to recall but Im pretty sure thats what you want to ask for.
Old 4/27/05, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Mellow Yellow@April 27, 2005, 10:54 AM
When doing something like this, do you leave the negative cable connected on your battery, or disconnect both the positive and negative cables?
I'd disconnect both just to be thorough. Disconnect negative first, then positive.
Old 4/27/05, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Webba@April 27, 2005, 10:59 AM
Dustin, they make a drill bit for doing this. I cant for the life of me remember the name but electricians use it alot for instance. it is a bit that is stepped for various diameters. It starts at say 1/2" and then graduates up in like 1/8" steps. You stop drilling inward when you get to the size you want. Alot easier than oopsying with a dremel.
Good idea, I didn't know they were made that big until I just looked. The one I have now only goes up to 3/4".
Old 4/28/05, 02:41 PM

Arrrgh I just went to Pepboys to pick up an add-a-line fuse adapter and sitting on the bottom shelf were the Conduct-Tite engine start buttons. Now that I've seen it, I'm glad I got the Honda one.
Old 4/28/05, 04:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious, what do you like better about the Honda button?
Old 4/28/05, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 28, 2005, 6:18 PM
Just curious, what do you like better about the Honda button?
It's bigger for one thing, it will perfectly fill the entire recessed area of the plug. The face of the button isn't a cheap looking transparent plastic. The Honda button is a solid bright red with semi-transparent white lettering. I dunno I think it just looks nicer when you put the two side by side. I'm not knocking yours, because I got all tingly when I saw yours installed.

Thanks to Webba's suggestion I got a Uni Bit that goes up to 1.25" so the hole cutting will be easier. Thanks Webba!
Old 4/29/05, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by dustindu4@April 28, 2005, 8:53 PM
The Honda button is a solid bright red with semi-transparent white lettering.
When you get that bad boy installed, I need closeup pictures of both day and night with the lights so I can see how it works. From what I can tell it will look hot.

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button