05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Engine Start Button

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great. I hope to do this mod. Hopefully I have some time to really sit down and do this!
Old 3/31/05, 03:25 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by robynspony@March 31, 2005, 9:06 AM
05GT, I'm goint to order the Ignited one from Pepboys today. Just wondering, looks like yours is illuminated. Is it lit up all the time or just when the lights are on? Do you find it distracting at all? Trying to make up my mind illuminated or not

Thanks for the great post, very helpful.
I had the same concern, I got the lighted one knowing that I could take the bulb out easily if I wanted to. If you tap into the wiring harness under the console, the button light will function w/ your dimmer switch, and it's not as bright as the rest of the lights on the radio, etc. I find the AC light a lot more distracting. Get the lighted one, you won't regret it.
Old 3/31/05, 03:34 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 31, 2005, 5:28 PM

I had the same concern, I got the lighted one knowing that I could take the bulb out easily if I wanted to. If you tap into the wiring harness under the console, the button light will function w/ your dimmer switch, and it's not as bright as the rest of the lights on the radio, etc. I find the AC light a lot more distracting. Get the lighted one, you won't regret it.
you can also mount a dial **** in a hidden place to adjust the light if you really wanted to. I think it would be cool having the light on all the time, especially when the car is off in the dark. People can look in and see it.

I want to thank you for posting these instructions. I really wanted to do this on my own, but there's no way I would have figured out which wire to tap into for the starter.

When I get my car in a few weeks, I'm going to first direct wire my Passport 8500 radar detector using the direct wire kit. I'm going to mount it to the right of the rear view mirror and mount the mute button on top of the rear view mirror. I'm gonna tap the power into the overhead map lights and will also mount a maintained micro switch into the housing so I can turn the power on and off.

Once I do this I'll will have freed up the power port so I can install the start button
Old 3/31/05, 05:02 PM

05GT-O.C.D.: Great mod! Thanks for posting this.

Do you know what the rating for the contact in the switch are? I read somewhere that you need a relay or the contacts in the switch will burn out.

Where can I purchase the switch?

Thanks, Ed
Old 3/31/05, 06:09 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by 98indypacer@March 31, 2005, 7:05 PM
05GT-O.C.D.: Great mod! Thanks for posting this.

Do you know what the rating for the contact in the switch are? I read somewhere that you need a relay or the contacts in the switch will burn out.

Where can I purchase the switch?

Thanks, Ed
I didn't use a relay, I don't kno what the rating is for the contacts in the switch... I have the packaging, will it say somewhere on there? I got the button at PepBoys, or you can get them all over the internet. My brand is Conduct-Tite, the most popular one is Ignited, I believe they're nearly identical.
Old 3/31/05, 11:28 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 31, 2005, 8:12 PM
My brand is Conduct-Tite, the most popular one is Ignited, I believe they're nearly identical.
But the Ignited one says Ignited right on the button, yours is plain and looks much better
Old 4/2/05, 04:56 AM

[/quote]

I didn't use a relay, I don't kno what the rating is for the contacts in the switch... I have the packaging, will it say somewhere on there? I got the button at PepBoys, or you can get them all over the internet. My brand is Conduct-Tite, the most popular one is Ignited, I believe they're nearly identical.
[/quote]

Found this in another thread

Installation Instructions

and it says a 40 amp relay is "recommended." The push button contacts are not rated high enough to hold up in this application. This just means that the button may not last as long with out a relay. If you don't use it everyday it should be OK.
Old 4/2/05, 05:41 AM

If the "start button" taps into the wiring from the original key start circuit there is no need for a relay. This circuit is the signal to the start relay and shouldn't be drawing much current at all.
Old 4/2/05, 06:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice install 05GT! But I have one question, did you solder your connections before sealing them? Just an observation from someone who digs into dashes more often than he cares to admit.

BTW, it is OK to use 3M ScotchLok wire taps for this type of work as it is inside the car and in a low corrosion enviroment.
Old 4/2/05, 08:23 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@April 2, 2005, 8:03 AM
Nice install 05GT! But I have one question, did you solder your connections before sealing them? Just an observation from someone who digs into dashes more often than he cares to admit.

BTW, it is OK to use 3M ScotchLok wire taps for this type of work as it is inside the car and in a low corrosion enviroment.
I used liquid electrical tape in stead of solder, and then wrapped w/ regular tape and used wire loom in some spots.
Old 4/2/05, 09:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
did you remove the SHAKER #### part on your radio? or did you some how get the regular one-disc version with your ICAP??
Old 4/2/05, 09:54 AM
I lust for a M24

I didn't want the Shaker because of all the problems and I also don't like the look of the subs in the doors. I ordered a Deluxe instead of the Premium. That gives you the base stereo I wanted, and saves $ for the aftermarket stereo I plan to have done by next weekend. I'm leaving in the stock CD player and using a LOC, I like to keep everything looking like it could've come from the factory that way. I'm going for my own personal Special Edition look.
Old 4/2/05, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Incredible job with the pics and explanation. Now where the F were you when I was putting together my entertainment center and all I had was those instructions in chinese???!
Old 4/2/05, 10:20 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by Webba@April 2, 2005, 12:19 PM
Incredible job with the pics and explanation. Now where the F were you when I was putting together my entertainment center and all I had was those instructions in chinese???!
Old 4/2/05, 12:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I didnt know you could get a deluxe with ICAP.......hmm.
Old 4/2/05, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

nice job!
Old 4/3/05, 06:46 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Great write up. Excellent mod man. I would love to have an engine start button.
Old 4/3/05, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Axleshaft@April 2, 2005, 6:44 AM
If the "start button" taps into the wiring from the original key start circuit there is no need for a relay. This circuit is the signal to the start relay and shouldn't be drawing much current at all.
Great. Thanks. As soon as I get my car this is one of the first mods.
Old 4/7/05, 06:59 PM

Stupid question. That push to start button looks very tempting to the passengers sitting in my car. What happens if it is pushed while the engine is running. I have a 5 speed. Is the starter circuit disabled once the engine is started or will pushing the button chip my flywheel. Just curious.

Great job. I plan on an install this weekend. :bowdown:
Old 4/7/05, 09:05 PM
I lust for a M24

I haven't tried to push it while running. If you want to find out, turn your key forward while your car is running. I'm not sure if anything will happen since your clutch isn't pushed in. It'll function the exact same way as turning your key forward, just a different way to make the electrical connection.

Quick Reply: Engine Start Button