05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

In-Dash Nav/DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/06, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In-Dash Nav/DVD

Christmas is coming up and I am looking into getting an in-dash navigation system. I have no idea whats good out there, so can anyone chime in with which systems I should look at getting. I want it to have Navigation,CD,DVD, and iPod capabilites and anything else is just extra. Im looking to spend about $1000, but I can flex on the price if I have to...Thanks!
Old 11/21/06, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can expect to pay alot more than 1 grand for all those features. I'm looking at the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Its a tad over $1500.00 at etronics.com.
Old 11/21/06, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
You can expect to pay alot more than 1 grand for all those features. I'm looking at the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Its a tad over $1500.00 at etronics.com.
There is the Eclipse unit as well, but as stated you're not going to get all you listed for $1k.
Old 11/22/06, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

well then i geuss i need to up my budget a little bit, but thats ok as long as i can stay under $2,000 i should be fine. I dont really need the DVD feature so what are my options with just NAV,CD, and Ipod capabilities
Old 11/22/06, 07:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by S197 V6
well then i geuss i need to up my budget a little bit, but thats ok as long as i can stay under $2,000 i should be fine. I dont really need the DVD feature so what are my options with just NAV,CD, and Ipod capabilities
If I am not mistaken the DVD, goes hand-in-hand with NAV. (Can get DVD w/o NAV, but not sure about vice-versa)
I always check Crutchfield for info etc and then sometimes buy elsewhere cheaper.
Should be able to stay under $2k though.
Old 11/22/06, 10:06 AM

I went with the Pioneer AVIC-D2. Picked it up from Shopdog.com. It looks great in the dash and the green button lights match the factory dash lights perfectly. I added XM w/ XM traffic but I didn't put in the IPOD adapter. The CD/MP3 player works great though so I don't miss the IPOD too much. The Pioneer does not play DVDs, which is something to consider if that is important to you.
Old 11/23/06, 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RonG
I went with the Pioneer AVIC-D2. Picked it up from Shopdog.com. It looks great in the dash and the green button lights match the factory dash lights perfectly. I added XM w/ XM traffic but I didn't put in the IPOD adapter. The CD/MP3 player works great though so I don't miss the IPOD too much. The Pioneer does not play DVDs, which is something to consider if that is important to you.
Not having the DVD wouldnt bother me much at all, it would probably never get used anyway. The main things i want are NAV, Ipod, and CD player. Do you have any pics of yours?
Old 11/23/06, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

Not having the DVD wouldnt bother me much at all, it would probably never get used anyway. The main things i want are NAV, Ipod, and CD player. Do you have any pics of yours?
Actually, having the DVD player is a little more convenient than you realize. You can throw 4.7 gig of MP3s on it and play them from a DVD.

Not that I ever use mine anyway. Sirius pretty much dominates my listening time.
Old 11/23/06, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Pioneer AVIC-D1 and AVIC-D2 are both viable options for sub $1k. I think those may be the best bang for the buck. I am also looking at the Alpine IVA-W200, which plays DVD's and MP3 DVD's. It is also Nav capable, Ipod capable, but those are all add-ons that you would have to buy.
Old 11/26/06, 09:20 AM

Let me see if I can get a good night picture. There was one on the F150 forum that sold me on the AVIC-D2, but I can't find it now.
Old 11/26/06, 09:32 PM

AVIC-D2 night picture

Here is a picture of my AVIC-D2 at night. It's hard to get the dash lights to show up correctly, but you get the idea. It does blend in well. I have also seen pictures of the Eclipse units and they match up well too.
Attached Thumbnails In-Dash Nav/DVD-nav.jpg  
Old 11/27/06, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the pic. It looks good! Did you do the install yourself or have someone else do it? If you did pay someone, and you dont mine me asking, how much did it cost for install? Thanks!
Old 11/27/06, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Try the kenwood series too, lights up green to match the interior and with teh nav unit you can listen to a disc and run nav at the same time.
Old 11/27/06, 11:22 PM

I installed it myself. It's not a bad job. There is a ton of information out there on how to do the wiring. It just takes time. In fact, I pulled it apart twice because I didn't like the way it went in the first time. I had a wiring mistake that needed to be resolved so the day/night display worked correctly. I also upgraded the front speakers and added a subwoofer while the car was apart. It took some tinkering with the setup, but I'm very happy with the sound.
Old 11/28/06, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cruisin
Try the kenwood series too, lights up green to match the interior and with teh nav unit you can listen to a disc and run nav at the same time.
+1. I have had the DDX7015 for over a year and no complaints. DVD, navigation, Sirius, plays mp3s from DVDs. Great unit.
Attached Thumbnails In-Dash Nav/DVD-picture-002-small-.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-picture-004-small-.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-picture-006-small-.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-picture-009-small-.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-picture-024-small-.jpg  

Old 11/28/06, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Question about navigational tool. Let's say I'm listening to music and it's time to make a left or get of the highway will the navigation voice pause my music to tell me or just say it over the music?
Old 11/28/06, 08:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Pioneer is supposed to be good but then Ford is coming out with one very soon Possibly made by the CD skippers and cannot read CD people lol I do hope they don't cheap out and get a good brand name. Now I'll have to get one for the GT/CS.
& LEO 06GT I'll second that question That would be a good feature as well if a siren is going cut out as well.
Old 11/28/06, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Question about navigational tool. Let's say I'm listening to music and it's time to make a left or get of the highway will the navigation voice pause my music to tell me or just say it over the music?

I'm not sure about the others, but with the Pioneer you can set it to mute the music, talk over the music or not talk at all. The odd thing about the Pioneer is it mutes the music in all speakers. In my wife's Toyota, the music is only muted in the left speaker when the nav voice comes on. Regardless, I have found the visual information on the Pioneer to be very clear so I don't have the voice prompts turned on.

I understand that Pioneer will make the factory nav unit. It's the same unit that is going into the Five Hundred and Explorer now. It like that the buttons you use most like station memory are not part of the touch screen. With the AVIC-D2 you have to move off the nav screen to switch between AM/FM1,2,3 or XM1,2,3. It's not a life-altering feature, but I like the Ford version better. I get around this by using the Pioneer steering wheel remote.

Old 11/28/06, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by rocket88
The I am also looking at the Alpine IVA-W200, which plays DVD's and MP3 DVD's. It is also Nav capable, Ipod capable, but those are all add-ons that you would have to buy.
This is what I have.
The navigation add-on is pretty expensive though like $2k.
The iPod add on is just a cable ($30) and it works great.
The XMRadio requires a $99.00 add-on which is the reciever and adaptor, but hooks to the HU with one AiNet Cable.
Here is some pics of mine installed.
Attachment 14723Attachment 14724Attachment 14725

I have XM Radio (in Glove Box) & iPod (in Console) and love it.
Attached Thumbnails In-Dash Nav/DVD-installed-off-driver-view.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-installed-driver-view.jpg   In-Dash Nav/DVD-movie-3.jpg  
Old 11/28/06, 10:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawgman
+1. I have had the DDX7015 for over a year and no complaints. DVD, navigation, Sirius, plays mp3s from DVDs. Great unit.
What did you have to add for sirius and canyou add an mp3 player, although it does play discs it just easier some times. Ive had the 7017 in for a year now, I cant remember what jacks are in the back but absolutely no problems and I really enjoy it

Quick Reply: In-Dash Nav/DVD