05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Custom Leather shift boot-with pony ball

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/05, 09:15 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maciek... sent you an e-mail. And yes, the frame just comes off very easily. I started it with a small flathead screwdriver and then used my fingers to take it off.

Bryan... I gotta jump on this, bro. My Mustang fund is wiped out. Any chance at something for free, I gotta take it. I'm going to ship it Global Priority today to Poland... hopefully it will get there by early next week.
Old 4/20/05, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

no problem acadian

-Bryan
Old 4/20/05, 09:28 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
look carefully at the left center pic The Gear indicator is attached to the slide bezel! You may want to examine a Complete Shifter not Just the bezel! I do not see how you can put a boot on it without covering or disabling the gear indicator!
Old 4/20/05, 09:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@April 20, 2005, 9:18 AM
Maciek... sent you an e-mail. And yes, the frame just comes off very easily. I started it with a small flathead screwdriver and then used my fingers to take it off.

Bryan... I gotta jump on this, bro. My Mustang fund is wiped out. Any chance at something for free, I gotta take it. I'm going to ship it Global Priority today to Poland... hopefully it will get there by early next week.

Hi Ian,
When I mailed Global Priority to Maciek I dropped it off at the PO. in Boston
on a Sat. just before noon and he had it in Poland following Thurs.

Joe
Old 4/20/05, 09:41 AM
FR500 Member

I think if you put a boot on an auto, it would just have to hide the gear indicator. Nine times out of ten, I don't even look at the indicator. You know when you are in reverse because it's one down from park. Neutral is obvious because if you accidentally shift into N, you won't go anywhere. As far as drive, it stops at drive automatically if you let up on the shift button. And then 1, 2 and 3... I don't even use them. I started manually shifting my auto for a while there, but everytime I did and then I put it back in D, the tranny would shift at the wrong spots. I'd have no problem not being able to see the gear indicator bar. Others might, but I guess if you do, you can't get a boot. Bryan, what are your thoughts on not seeing the gears?
Old 4/20/05, 09:44 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by XG14+April 20, 2005, 9:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XG14 @ April 20, 2005, 9:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-acadian@April 20, 2005, 9:18 AM

Hi Ian,
When I mailed Global Priority to Maciek I dropped it off at the PO. in Boston
on a Sat. just before noon and he had it in Poland following Thurs.

Joe
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Joe. It says on the site 4-6 business days. I think it took your only 4 because you are way over in Boston. Since I'm in Louisiana, I'm thinking it'll probably take it 4-5 days from here... so he should have it by next Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 4/20/05, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

I agree - I dont need to see them. I just assumed that we would be covering them.

-Bryan
Old 4/20/05, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Coolness, just ordered the set, can hardly wait to see how gfood they're gonna look!
Old 4/20/05, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@April 20, 2005, 4:47 PM
I agree - I dont need to see them. I just assumed that we would be covering them.
Guys,

I never assumed we can do without covering the gear indicator. First of all it's barely ever needed (and if you need to see which gear you're in, you don't deserve a fine car like the 05GT in my book, get a Civic, learn to drive, order a Stang later, hehe), second a boot covering only the center opening it would look, well, not that great.

And ... a strong point supporting getting an ATX boot is getting it to look more like manual, right? Leaving the gear indicator visible would definitely defy that purpose.

Thank you,
Maciek
Old 4/20/05, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

great - we are on the same wave length

-Bryan
Old 4/20/05, 02:05 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,157 Likes on 2,311 Posts
I got to play devils advocate on this! If you want to cover the indicator great. But some people watching this post probably did not even think about the indicator so it needed to be brought out! Working at a dealership for over twenty years you tend to think about things like liability as second nature. It could cause issues with other people driving your car such as valet's and service employee's. FYI! It's a cool idea. But people need to think there particular needs. Also remember the neutral manual overide is on top of the shifter also. You will need to be able to access this if the battery is dead, Keys lost etc.
Old 4/20/05, 03:31 PM
FR500 Member

Kevin, I think I can speak for most of us here that we totally appreciate you bringing that up. And you are right, some may not have thought about that and may have thought they could still see the indicator bar. But you definitely bring up some good points. Although I would never let a valet drive my car... but as far as Ford service employees, that's true. I guess you'd have to let them know and they'd know what to do.

I like this option to make it look more like a manual, but the main reason is because I hate all the plastic that is on the auto shifter unit. They are hard to keep clean too, and there are lots of grooves to catch dirt. That goes without saying for the e-brake handle. Who knows what's down in that opening now? I want to have the leather there to just be able to wipe it with a rag and forget about it. Plus, it just looks cool.

I shipped out my auto shifter frame today to Maciek and he should get it next week. We'll see what he can come up with.
Old 4/20/05, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maciek, you're killing me! I'm ordering the three piece charcoal very soon. I wasn't going to get the arm rest -- couldn't justify the extra money -- but now with the 10% discount, I HAVE too!

I just want to say how great that e-brake handle looks with the boot. Your boot covers that whole ugly mess up!!

I just have one thing to decide, and maybe everybody can help me. I am wondering if I should get matching stitching, or should I get black. I am thinking the black stitching may give it a cool look. So . . . opinions?

Oh yeah, I don't have my car yet, it might be a couple weeks, but I will be able to take pictures and send them to you once I have the stuff installed. I'll keep track of this thread in case you still need somebody in a few weeks. (I'll cross my fingers)
Old 4/20/05, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I ordered as soon as I saw these and missed out on the 10% discount! Oh well like the Mustang you pay to be the first. Is it possible to make a leather cover for the dash like the Shellby? Could one just take the dash off and attach a leather cover? Is this possible?
Old 4/20/05, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by RedlineGoods@April 18, 2005, 11:09 AM
Hi guys,

even more pics:

RedlineGoods.com - Mustang 05 product page!

Questions? Comments?

Maciek
Can someone tell me if the factory shift boot and arm rest is leather if you order leather seats. I ordered the red leather interior but haven't received it yet.
Old 4/21/05, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@April 20, 2005, 9:08 PM
I got to play devils advocate on this! If you want to cover the indicator great. But some people watching this post probably did not even think about the indicator so it needed to be brought out! Working at a dealership for over twenty years you tend to think about things like liability as second nature. It could cause issues with other people driving your car such as valet's and service employee's. FYI! It's a cool idea. But people need to think there particular needs. Also remember the neutral manual overide is on top of the shifter also. You will need to be able to access this if the battery is dead, Keys lost etc.
Good points. But if you need the manual override, it's an emergency situation, right? One, you will still be able to press it through the leather of the boot or two, the idea for mounting the boot is this: pull out the bezel, wrap the boot around it, reinstall the bezel (acadian and I are figuring out if it's feasible to make the boot installable without removing the gear leather and so far, so good). So if you have an emergency all you need to take it off is pull straight up on the leather until the bezel gives. No tools should be needed.

As for valets, service employees: just tell them they can't see the gear indicator and they have to be careful. What's the problem going to park and carefully back to R or D (they're always in the same order on all cars, right) and let go of the brake slightly and see if you got the right gear? If you warn them, they should be fine.

Maciek
Old 4/21/05, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Sonic05@April 21, 2005, 1:17 AM
I just have one thing to decide, and maybe everybody can help me. I am wondering if I should get matching stitching, or should I get black. I am thinking the black stitching may give it a cool look. So . . . opinions?
I think black stitching on charcoal leather looks very nice.
Old 4/21/05, 12:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by brown412@April 21, 2005, 5:03 AM
Can someone tell me if the factory shift boot and arm rest is leather if you order leather seats. I ordered the red leather interior but haven't received it yet.
I don't remember 100% but I believe the shift boot I got from XG14 was vinyl. Not sure if he had the leather interior in his car... Did you, Harry?

Maciek
Old 4/21/05, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by upstate@April 21, 2005, 1:44 AM
Well I ordered as soon as I saw these and missed out on the 10% discount! Oh well like the Mustang you pay to be the first. Is it possible to make a leather cover for the dash like the Shellby? Could one just take the dash off and attach a leather cover? Is this possible?
In general, it is possible, you might want to consider doing it without dash removal, just cut the necessary shape and glue it to the dash... But leather is expensive, leather for dash inserts for one car we had a quote request for came up to $280... Just material...

Maciek
Old 4/21/05, 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi,

does anyone have and could post a pic of the red interior? I need to know which of our red leathers would be better!

Thank you,
Maciek

Quick Reply: Custom Leather shift boot-with pony ball