05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

AZ Mustangs: Window Felt + Heat = MELTING!

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/06, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation AZ Mustangs: Window Felt + Heat = MELTING!

Hey guys,

I noticed a weird residue on my windows last week and I couldn't figure out what it was for a minute...but then I rolled the windows down and saw that my window felt adhesive was melting!

We've had a few 100* + days out here in Phoenix so far, and my car sits outside in the sun all day while I'm busy at work, so I'm sure that's what caused it.

I'm using the duro-felt 1/2" strips.

Has anyone else in AZ had this problem and know a good way to prevent it?

My stopgap solution was to just remove the existing felt, clean what residue I could from the window guard, then re-install a new section of felt. I'm not sure how long this will last though, we are just starting to feel the summer heat!

Old 5/31/06, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had that issue in my car. I had moleskin installed at the time the tint was put on. To my knowledge theres nothing melting in my car except the driver!!
Old 6/1/06, 12:44 AM

hmmm...

It was only on the driver's side too...the passenger side looked OK for the most part.
Old 6/1/06, 08:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a desert climate as well and also have duro-felt installed. It's been pretty hot here as well. I noticed last week that the felt adhesive is getting gooey and in result has shifted the felt just a little bit so I repositioned it. I'll keep watching to see how it is going to hold up.
Old 6/1/06, 11:25 AM

That is the same thing I saw...if you notice it streaking up on to your windows it may be time to replace the strips.
Old 6/1/06, 09:09 PM
GTR Member

Use a car cover to cool down car or try to park in shade
Old 6/2/06, 01:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
One suggestion I read was to use Velcro Extreme or Industrial Strength.

They both seem to have a much higher melting/softening point as compared to the standard Velcro.
Old 6/11/06, 02:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
One suggestion I read was to use Velcro Extreme or Industrial Strength.

They both seem to have a much higher melting/softening point as compared to the standard Velcro.
I live in the midwest and mine have melted and I used the extreme. Sure makes a mess. Sorry I did it now.
Old 6/12/06, 06:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Great I was about to get window tint here in eastern NC. What do I need to do now?
Old 6/12/06, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by traffic142
Great I was about to get window tint here in eastern NC. What do I need to do now?
Looks like your Summer avg doesn't exceed 92 degrees? About the same as SoCal.

Here's the simple facts.
NO FELT: Tint WILL scratch.
WITH FELT: It may melt

I'll just hope all is well with my felt by the end of Summer.
Old 6/12/06, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't be worried about felt melting in eastern NC, heh.

I live here in West Texas, been up to 110 a few times now, but I rarely leave my car out for very long and it is garaged. If you are in that sort of climate, I'd just cruise with the AC and the windows up, honestly. This is the only fix for window scratching atm, so really it's a lose/lose situation unless you just don't roll your windows down after the car has been outside for a long time.
Old 6/12/06, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's just what I was worried about when someone first posted about using velcro on the window guides. I was worried that the extreme heat in the desert (Las Vegas, Phoenix, etc.) would melt that glue.

Now I'm not sure what to do with mine when it arrives. Fortunately I'm going to skip the hottest part of the year, won't get the car back here until the middle of September (I hope). But I still want something on there, those scratches are just wrong.
Old 9/14/06, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

What have people used to get the goo off their windows when the velcro glue melted? Will Goo Gone mess up the tint? Thanks
Old 9/14/06, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by hatchttu
What have people used to get the goo off their windows when the velcro glue melted? Will Goo Gone mess up the tint? Thanks
I think it should be safe. Guess we're finding out the hard way that extreme temp states like yours melts the glue on the velcro felt.

I read that moleskin may be the solution for you guys.
Old 9/15/06, 07:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hatchttu
My velcro glue melted off a month ago or so. I used the Goo Gone to clean the adhesive mess and it worked like a champ. No propbs with the tints.
Old 9/15/06, 10:12 AM

I live in Tucson. Took delivery of my car last week. I got the windows tinted to the legal limits (a must for Arizonians and others in the hotter climates) and installed the moleskin. Seems like a good product and I'm hoping when it gets to 110+ deg it holds up. I suggest you try the moleskin, but again I barely put it in.
Old 9/18/06, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I work at a tint shop and all you need is some good quality felt thats glue will withstand hightemperatures.. Sometimes when the felt melts its due to poor installation which the felt either peels back or shifts which exposes the sticky side to the heat and then starts to melt. Just make sure what ever your using to clean the tint that it dosnt have any amonia because amonia will weaken the tint and start turnning it purple.
Old 9/18/06, 04:54 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mustang05
I work at a tint shop and all you need is some good quality felt thats glue will withstand hightemperatures.. Sometimes when the felt melts its due to poor installation which the felt either peels back or shifts which exposes the sticky side to the heat and then starts to melt. Just make sure what ever your using to clean the tint that it dosnt have any amonia because amonia will weaken the tint and start turnning it purple.
So what would you recommend to get glue off of tint besides goo gone?
Old 9/21/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Well...if goo gone dosnt have amonia and works great id use that, we have used rubbing alcohol and it seems to work with some rubbing. Havnt had to deal with the problem except once so its hard to tell what product works best to clean it off.
Old 9/27/06, 08:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
So what would you recommend to get glue off of tint besides goo gone?
I removed that mess with rubbing alcohol from Walgreens and then installed moleskin that only cost $6. Wish I had done this in the first place. You do not have to live in the Southwest to melt that Velcro crap as I live in ST Louis

Quick Reply: AZ Mustangs: Window Felt + Heat = MELTING!