05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

AUX switch has been figured out boys!~

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/05, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update.....

Just got off the phone with Victor at PIE and he had me go unplug the factory harness from the PIE adapter and my system is now recognizing the thing. He asked me to wait 15 minutes and try it again before putting it back together. Right now I'm waiting.................

He says worst case, I'll have to leave the factory harness that runs the DVD/Whatever unplugged from the PIE.

Boy, is this fun or what?
Old 9/9/05, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Clem@September 9, 2005, 9:35 AM
Update.....

Just got off the phone with Victor at PIE and he had me go unplug the factory harness from the PIE adapter and my system is now recognizing the thing. He asked me to wait 15 minutes and try it again before putting it back together. Right now I'm waiting.................

He says worst case, I'll have to leave the factory harness that runs the DVD/Whatever unplugged from the PIE.

Boy, is this fun or what?
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: I'm not sure I understand "it recognizes when it's not plugged into the stereo" :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
then how does it work?
Old 9/9/05, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by derynf@September 9, 2005, 10:37 AM
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: I'm not sure I understand "it recognizes when it's not plugged into the stereo" :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
then how does it work?
One end plugs into the head unit.

One end plugs into the PIE adapter.

Then there is a pigtail that you plug the factory connector into the runs the DVD that with don't have. Sorry if I didn't explain it too well. I'm running in and out of the house like a freak right now.......
Old 9/9/05, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

OK, the latest........

I waited 20 minutes and went out to check it. It works and is connected as per instructions. Meaning, I did not have to disconnect the DVD lead as Victor had suggested might be necessary. Apparently the head unit is a bit resistant to recognize the new input.

BTW, Victor is TECH ME on the PIE forum. If you have a problem with yours, give him a call @ 818-678-3690. He's a cool guy and knows his stuff.

I'm going out to put her back together and see if it still works. Wish me luck!
Old 9/9/05, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

ahhh, I see..said the blind man. If you get it working please post a detailed schematic of how you did it. Maybe I just won't have to send mine back before I open it.
Old 9/9/05, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are getting me real worried. How could they have tested this thing and now it doesn't work on any1 stereo 100%? Mine is supposed to come today, so let me know how yours works out.
Old 9/9/05, 12:06 PM
GT Member

I followed Victor's advice as well about leaving the factory "DVD" unplugged from the PIE harness and IT WORKED.. I'm not going to even bother plugging it in if there's no use for it as Victor mentioned leaving it unplugged will be okay.. I'm just happy that we got somewhere with this and it was not a total waste...
Old 9/9/05, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

so, were good?!

So, can someone post "edited" directions on what it takes to install?
Old 9/9/05, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

...with photos.
Old 9/9/05, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As of last night mine still wouldn't recongize it with the factory dvd plug disconnected. :scratch: I'll check it again when I get home from work in a couple of hours.
Old 9/9/05, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Here we go again.........

Mine worked, so I put the whole mess back together and now.....NOTHING!

I fired it up several times during the re-assembly process and it worked fine. Now I'm back at square one. No headphone icon and the dreaded "NO AUX AUDIO" readout. Son of a biotch! Called Victor back and he said to go ahead and disconnect the DVD lead from the pigtail and see what happens. He admits that they had issues with the recognition problem on the '04 F-150's and updated the software to correct this. Thing is, I just checked my F-150 and the adapter in it is still working fine. Victor claimed that they weren't having problems with the '05 Mustangs. I am.

I'lll going to unhook the DVD lead and see if I can escape this nightmare. Worse than this is that there is no beer in the house! I think i need one........

I'll try to snap off a few pics to help you all see this.
Old 9/9/05, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you the only one, Clem, who can't get this working? Is there any1 who has got it working consistantly?

What is the DVD plug? Is that the same thing as the 16 pin connector?
Old 9/9/05, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just got this from victor
Hi Deryn:
It is not a defective part, it is an installation procedure problem. The '05 Mustang already has a connector plugged into the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio. To properly install the FRD04-AUX, you need to disconnect the factory 16-pin connector, then plug in the FRD04-AUX and turn the radio on and let the radio recognize the FRD04-AUX. Once the radio has recognized the FRD04-AUX, you can then plug in the factory 16-pin connector into the other end of the FDR04-AUX connector and you are good to go and it all works fine.

Thank you,

Technical Support
Logjam Electronics
techsupport@logjamelectronics.com
www.logjamelectronics.com
Old 9/9/05, 12:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, it's the factory 16-pin connector. Mine currently has only two wires in the factory plug.
Old 9/9/05, 01:29 PM
GT Member

kind of off topic, but if the head units are made to work with rear dvd systems, does that mean the drive reads dvd's as well, or do the systems with rear dvd have a rear dvd reader?

what data is sent through that harness? Video? on screen controls?

What i guess I am getting at is the possibility of ipod display information on the lcd of the shaker. It would be awesome if it could control an ipod.

i just wish my stang was built so i could plug my adaptor is and listen to my ipod on it...
Old 9/9/05, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by derynf@September 9, 2005, 12:52 PM
Just got this from victor
Hi Deryn:
It is not a defective part, it is an installation procedure problem. The '05 Mustang already has a connector plugged into the 16-pin connector on the back of the radio. To properly install the FRD04-AUX, you need to disconnect the factory 16-pin connector, then plug in the FRD04-AUX and turn the radio on and let the radio recognize the FRD04-AUX. Once the radio has recognized the FRD04-AUX, you can then plug in the factory 16-pin connector into the other end of the FDR04-AUX connector and you are good to go and it all works fine.

Thank you,

Technical Support
Logjam Electronics
techsupport@logjamelectronics.com
www.logjamelectronics.com
I did that and mine worked for a while and then didn't.

You see, it's like the Space Shuttle. A bunch of really smart people worked on it for a long time and it still doesn't work right. Only difference is, these PIE guys aren't nearly as smart.

Now, I've been on the phone with Victor three different times today and not once did he say that it was an "installation procedure problem". This adapter is supposed to work with the 16-pin connector - which only has two wires in it - plugged in. He told me that if it doesn't, I should un-plug it and see what happens. I did and mine is now working again, but I'm not holding my breath. PIE is aware of this and has experimented with leaving this connector unhooked with no ill effects according to Victor. They should have made it clear that on some systems would need to do this.

Repeatedly taking apart the dash is less than fun. My sense of humor is being tested on this one.
Old 9/9/05, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

FWIW, when it does work, this is what your display will show.

Edit: The blurry pic seems appropriate for the situation.
Old 9/9/05, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Clem,
I just left the factory 16 pin connector unplugged, put the dash back together, repeatedly turn the ignition switch on/off, radio repeatedly on/off, and the Ipod repeatedly on/off. IT STILL WORKS FINE..

My advice to others:

-DO NOT plug the 16 pin factory connector to the PIE harness as it seems there's no real use for it.

-If you can live without cupholders for a few days then don't put your console back together(this is simply for testing purposes to see if everything works without any glitches). This way it is much easier to work on the unit without having to tear everything out.

I wish I would have taken some pics for some of you, but my radio and climate control console is already back together.
Old 9/9/05, 07:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I finally got mine to work. It's been 3 long days and I finally got it. Tonight I talked to Burt at PIE and he had me check everything. Finally he decided I should send it back and he would check the box for me. When I went to remove the harness, I noticed that the power wire connection looked kind of wierd. I stripped more of the 12 volt wire and reconnected the power wire. Then I put it all back together and it worked. Everytime I put another piece back on the dash, I kept checking for the headphone icon and it kept showing up.

Long story short, make sure you take your time and be sure the connections are good. :bang:
Old 9/9/05, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So... What is the 16-pin plug for if it's not used? Why would Ford put this in these cars? Unless that's a generic harness, it just seems like more work than its worth.

And if that plug is for the rear DVD system, what is the 3rd plug for that is not on our cars? Bluetooth?

Quick Reply: AUX switch has been figured out boys!~