05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Auto radio cut off when door opens?

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/07, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto radio cut off when door opens?

I am looking for any information about this feature. I am about to help a friend intall an aftermarket head unit and I wanted some information about this feature. Such as: If you install the head unit with the correct metra harness does this feature automatically work? If not, what is need to either make it work or bypass this feature? Or, are there any issues I might incounter with the install relating to this feature? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 4/25/07, 06:57 PM
GT Member

head unit stays on till a door is opened
Old 4/25/07, 07:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sscobra
I am looking for any information about this feature. I am about to help a friend intall an aftermarket head unit and I wanted some information about this feature. Such as: If you install the head unit with the correct metra harness does this feature automatically work? If not, what is need to either make it work or bypass this feature? Or, are there any issues I might incounter with the install relating to this feature? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The feature is built into the wiring of the car, not the radio itself. For example, I have my homelink mirror, satellite radio, and shift light all on the same circuit as the radio, and they all remain on until I open the door.
Old 4/26/07, 03:32 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if the headunit draws power from a switched accessory line (which i assume it is), it will be powered up as you turn the ignition on, and remains on till you turn the ignition off and open the door (turning off the ignition and removing the key but remaining in the car will keep the accessory power on for about 10 minutes)
Old 4/26/07, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I found out that they are keeping the factory head unit and we need to find the best place for the amp remote wire. I searched and didn't really see a lot of good options. I just saw someone use one of the unused fuse locations in the fuse panel. What other options are there? Thanks again for any help.
Old 4/27/07, 07:12 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well unless you wanna tap in an already laid out wire.. using an unused fuse in the passenger side fusebox is the cleanest approach!