05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Anyone using iPod interface on Pioneer AVIC-D1?

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/05, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping that someone who has installed the AVIC-D1 with the iPod adapter (maybe Axslynger) could help us understand the level of iPod control and display you have. I have read several reviews on the Pioneer iPod adapter with lesser headunits, and unfortunately the display is less than desirable. The head units only show the first 8 characters, and the control is messy.

With the AVIC-D1, does more than one line of text appear on the screen? How similar is the interface to the iPod interface? Can you browse menus easily? How is the response time between browsing and display on the head unit?

I would love to see some screen shots if anyone has them.
Old 6/14/05, 03:40 PM
GT Member

Sorry to let you down, but I haven't done an Ipod hook up with mine. I'll keep my eyes open for anything about it and I'll post it if I come across something. I will say this. The XM radio adapter which has 2 connections (1 for text, and 1 for the actual audio) will give you all the display you want and more. I think that is only because the 2 units are both PIONEER and they were made for this type of connection. I have an external DVD player hooked up to the AVIC-D1, and there is no additional screen display. I don't see how the Ipod could transfer any actual data to the AVIC-D1. I think it would just be the audio, and the display would remain the same on the AVIC-D1 only listing it as an "AUX" audio connection. I'm speaking hypothetically here of course as I haven't tried the Ipod.
Old 6/16/05, 11:49 AM

I have been surfing around, and found this excellent review. Should be helpful for anyone considering the AVIC-D1. As far as Ipod control goes, I don't think this is the answer I am looking for. Take a look if your considering this one.

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/forums/...ad.php?t=25356
Old 6/16/05, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with the comments on the Pioneer iPod interface. It stinks hiney. Tested it out at a local stereo shop and decided not to bother buying it as it would annoy me daily. The iPod itself has the best user interface in the world and it will be hard to emulate that on any other device unless you are able to directly access the index files inside the iPod memory, which non of the current interfaces are. Apple is supposedly making a big deal out of this. I heard Pioneer is working on a new and improved version, but nothing for certain at this point in time.
Old 6/22/05, 07:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the kenwood interface on a single DIN unit. It works pretty well for playlists, but forget looking for a song or an artist. Also, it doesn't support ID3 tag info really. You can usually see the song title but not the artist, depends on how it is labeled. I know all my stuff is labeled good cause I keep it in iTunes. Basically, its not nearly as good as satellite song names, but it is functional.

I haven't tried any others, but it sounds tons better than the pioneer that was linked earleir