05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Anybody figured out how to get a glove box light?

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/09, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody figured out how to get a glove box light?

Maybe the 2010 has a glove box light that could be used in our cars. My '96 had an integral catch and light, one unit. When you opened the glove box, the switch completed the circuit and you had a light. I toyed with the idea of getting one of them for my '05, but it was a completely different setup. Wouldn't have worked.

If you guys know an easy fix, I'd like to try it.
Old 10/26/09, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I put some lights in mine and it's pretty easy. I got a couple of LED bulbs and holders from a web site called Superbright LED's and a push button switch that is off when it is pushed in. Make sure you get a quality switch , I at first got a couple from Radio Shack with plastic pins and they didn't hold up. I later order some online from an electrical supply place with metal pins and they've held up. Next , there are a couple of metal bars behind the air bag and I drilled a hole in each of them and attached the bulb holders to them. I drilled a hole in the wide plastic portion on the left side of the glove box and put the switch there , so when the door is closed it pushes the switch in. I wired the bulbs through the switch to fuse panel to a fuse that was hot all the time. That's it , when the door is open they're on and when it's closed they're off ...
Old 10/26/09, 06:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never use my dash glovebox enough to need a light for it. However, salvage yards are a good source for cars equipped with glove box lights and pin switches that turn the light off when you shut the lid.

I use my console compartment way more than my glovebox. I simply installed a blue LED inside that stays on with the dash lights at night. I have it tied into the rest of my self-installed LED ambient lighting.
Old 10/26/09, 09:23 AM
GT Member

I put lights in my glovebox and center console for less that $10 and it was easy. Autozone sells a pack of 4 12v LEDs, and the white ones are what I used. I removed the center console and drilled a small hole at the back just under the hinge area where I mounted one of the bulbs facing forward toward the coin holders. In the glovebox, I just mounted 2 bulbs to the inside of the top lip of the opening, facing down, using double-sided foam tape with a bit of electrical tape over the top. The bulbs were spaced to evenly cover the glovebox area. All the LED bulbs were wired in parallel and connected to an unused connector under the console that is there to connect to the instrument lighting for the auto trans shifter (mine is manual). Ground is readily available and you can check which lead is the variable instrument lighting with a VOM. Even if you have auto trans, the LED draw is so low that you could connect them to the same source without concern.

The result is that the LED's light only when the instrument lights are on and are variable with the instrument light intensity. There is no light leakage from the glovebox, and only a little from the center console, but as just a little peaks through the front opening toward the cupholders and shifter, it is not at all objectionable. The lights are perfect for finding change at night or getting something from the glovebox and require no other switches. An easy mod.

=Vic=

Last edited by Beargap; 10/26/09 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10/26/09, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good ideas guys, thanks

I'll take a ride over to the local Radio Shack and see what I come up with. Usually the trickiest part of stuff like this is to find a good source of power. I do have an auto, so I'm not sure I can tap off that connector under the console.