05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/07, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?

I know about the wire harness kit from Crutchfield, but is this all that's needed to hook it up? According to them, yes.

Infinity mentioned to me a while back that some may or may not require this voltage regulator.

And finally, does a double din head unit still require an installation (trim ring) kit?
Old 6/7/07, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wire harness kit is correct, and you MAY still need the voltage regulator. You will still require a mounting kit. I suggest the one from Crutchfield (Metra) as it has a better DDIN option than the Scoshe counterpart.
Old 6/7/07, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,
I swapped my skipper 500 for an Alpine unit, and yes, I needed to use the voltage regulator to avoid the amp pop....Here is a link I found before I did mine that was very helpful...

http://www.dennisjudd.com/archives/000947.html

Let me say this about the link....

1. Not specifically for a shaker, but same connection and process.

2. Not my installation....

3. Certainly not up to the standards of your installation instructions, but usable none the less....

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-alpineinstalled-001-large-.jpg   Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-alpineinstalled-008-large-.jpg   Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-alpineinstalled-010-large-.jpg  
Old 6/7/07, 08:22 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be getting the IVA-205 in a few days and want to start getting these accessories real soon.

Infinity, is this the install kit you're talking about? It has a center partition that Crutchfield says you have to knock out for DDIN installs.

Looks good Mike! Is this the install kit you got too?
Old 6/7/07, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

PM sent, I think I have both the wire harness and kit if you need to purchase seperate. Also, the dimmer will not hook up correctly. I posted a how to and there are other discussions regarding this
Old 6/7/07, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks guys. I'll be getting the IVA-205 in a few days and want to start getting these accessories real soon.

Infinity, is this the install kit you're talking about? It has a center partition that Crutchfield says you have to knock out for DDIN installs.

Looks good Mike! Is this the install kit you got too?
Bill,
Yep. Same dash kit. Inclusive, along with the harnesses, when purchasing at Crutchfield....

Mike
Old 6/19/07, 12:01 PM

Okay guys, getting closer to install the W205. I've been flip-flopping over selling it (for the 1-pc driveshaft), but I've decided to install this thing.

I just ordered the wire and install kit from Crutchfield this morning. Only thing left to get is the Voltage Regulator from Radio Shack.
(Thanks for the offer Gremlin, just decided to go with Crutchfield incase I need to return or exchange something).

I looked over the link from Mike, but I still have questions on how this thing get's wired up.

Here's a few pics for reference...
Attachment 28284

Attachment 28286

Attachment 28285

Attachment 28287

Infinity said this, "Wire the white/blue wire from the radio to input, output goes to the remote on the new harness (hook it to both since I can't remember which is for 500 or 1000, they're orange, I think), and ground splices with the ground."

Now looking at the pics above, it doesn't make sense to me.

So let me get this straight, the regulator only has 3 prongs.

One side (left of the PN#) get's spliced in-between the red wires of the main Metra harness and Alpine harness (guessing it's the switched ignition 12V wire #33?). Or, is it suposed to get spliced into the remote turn-on blue/white wire off the Alpine harness (#28)?

The other side (right of PN#) get's connected to the small metra harness (with the RCA's) blue wire, but which wire? They're both appear to be blue w/white stripes!

The center get's spliced in-between the black ground wires of the main Metra harness and Alpine harness.

Question about the RCA hook-up.
I was told to get a 'Y' RCA adapter and connect it into the #24 RCA output (bottom one, both L&R), then plug the single 'Y' into the white RCA of the small Metra harness (leaving the red open).
Is this correct?

And lastly, can the parking brake wire (#31 yellow/blue) simply be grounded to bypass the video playback safety feature? Or will that $40 ebay gadget be required?

Please help carify this for me.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-x120705521-f.jpg   Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-7805.jpg   Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-7805_wired.jpg   Alpine (or any other) to Shaker 500, what's all needed?-iva-w205-rear.jpg  
Old 6/19/07, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Bill,

Your red wire off your regulator would go to wire 28 of the Alpine harness. The yellow wire off your regulator would go to both blue / white wires on the Metra wiring harness. Just wire all three wires together. You are correct on the black wire off your regulator, it goes to ground and can be spliced in with the other ground connection between the harnesses.

Your correct on the RCA plug setup if you have the Shaker 500. If it's the Shaker 1000 you can use the white and red and go with a direct line to each.

I'm not sure about the bypass for the Alpine units. I know the Kenwood bypass is simply grounding the parking brake wire as you describe...I did a google search to find that info. and I bet you the same info. is out there somewhere for the Alpine unit.

hags1
Old 6/19/07, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the clarification Dan. I know my post made it sound way more complicated that it really is, but just don't want to screw things up.

I'll research the parking brake ground and see if it's applicable to Alpines.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 6/19/07, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Bill,

I just finished a write-up for the Kenwood DNX7100 head unit that I installed in my car. Here's a link to the pdf file.

http://www.hagshouse.com/My%20Mustan...ead%20Unit.pdf

Take a read thru and see if any of this helps.....

hags1
Old 6/19/07, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by hags1
Take a read thru and see if any of this helps.....
Looks great Dan!

I like the honorable mention too!

I'll take a more in-depth read on it just before I install mine (hopefully sometime next week).

Doing a detailed write-up is alot of work, huh? But believe me, I and others appreciate it very much.
Old 6/20/07, 07:10 AM
Cobra Member

Cool. I see the question was answered. Bill, I would check the setup first without the regulator, you may not need it. Then, wire it in if you do. It's always better to use less if you can pull it off. Like I said, I've done 3 heads in these cars, mine needed the regulator, the other 2 didn't Strange, I know...
Old 6/20/07, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Infinity
Cool. I see the question was answered. Bill, I would check the setup first without the regulator, you may not need it. Then, wire it in if you do. It's always better to use less if you can pull it off. Like I said, I've done 3 heads in these cars, mine needed the regulator, the other 2 didn't Strange, I know...
Good point. I'm guessing that I'll be listening for the 'amp pop' thru the door subs when powering the head unit on?
Old 6/20/07, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

You could power it up and meter that wire and see what voltage the Alpine puts out to the amps. If it's at 12V I'd bet you'll need the regulator.

hags1
Old 6/21/07, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Good point. I'm guessing that I'll be listening for the 'amp pop' thru the door subs when powering the head unit on?
Originally Posted by hags1
You could power it up and meter that wire and see what voltage the Alpine puts out to the amps. If it's at 12V I'd bet you'll need the regulator.

hags1
Yes,

and I agree with Hags, except one of the units I installed actually output 13.2V and didn't pop- mine pops at 11.98 (same meter). So I'm guessing it's more of a quality/consistency issue with the Visteon amplifiers.