05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Aftermarket head unit with Shaker amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/06, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket head unit with Shaker amp?

I just installed a Kenwood head unit, and I am just a cut above retarded, so I don't know what I did wrong here...
Only the lower door speakers are ampped.... the rear speakers and the upper door speakers are so quiet, you almost can't tell they're even working. I ordered a wire harness from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-exs4Zip...sp?i=120705521 and spliced everything together... the problems I ran into is that there was a huge pop when the amp was powered up... so I bought a voltage regulator with a 5v output becuase the Kenwood has a 12v output.... so I had to do some riggin' there, and then the little harness that has the RCA pigtails... I just plugged those into the rear channel on the back of the Kenwood... assuming it would amp the rear speakers. Well.. no... it didn't. It's the doors. So I moved it to the front channel... and again, just the lower door speakers are ampped. Now... you guys will have to go easy on my, 'cause I know next to nothing about this stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried to use the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit?
Old 10/30/06, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clintoris
I just installed a Kenwood head unit, and I am just a cut above retarded, so I don't know what I did wrong here...
Only the lower door speakers are ampped.... the rear speakers and the upper door speakers are so quiet, you almost can't tell they're even working. I ordered a wire harness from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/S-exs4Zip...sp?i=120705521 and spliced everything together... the problems I ran into is that there was a huge pop when the amp was powered up... so I bought a voltage regulator with a 5v output becuase the Kenwood has a 12v output.... so I had to do some riggin' there, and then the little harness that has the RCA pigtails... I just plugged those into the rear channel on the back of the Kenwood... assuming it would amp the rear speakers. Well.. no... it didn't. It's the doors. So I moved it to the front channel... and again, just the lower door speakers are ampped. Now... you guys will have to go easy on my, 'cause I know next to nothing about this stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried to use the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit?
First, make sure the internal amp in the DPX701 is turned on (via menu) this should power all 4 speakers... If Shaker 500, the crutchfield harness will need a Y adapter. The 500 has mono sub input (Y adapter L+R sub into shaker sub) , both front subs input is the mid sub or something like that on the diagram.