05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

6.5" Components in Factory Door Sub Location

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/06, 06:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
6.5" Components in Factory Door Sub Location

Well, here was my delima.......

I installed an audio system in my car made up of older equipment that I had leftover from previous installs years ago. An Eclipse deck, Lanzar EQ (from like '95), a MTX Blue Thunder 275 amp pushing Eclipse PointSource 5.25 coaxials in the door 5"X7" location and MTX 5X7 coaxials on the rear deck, and a Memphis Audio 500w mono sub amp pushing (2) Rockford Fosgate 12's.

I listen to Rock and Metal, and I just couldn't get enough mids and highs out of the 5.25's and 5x7's to keep up with the 12's. Plus, my amps are mounted to the rear deck, between the 5x7's so that I can remove my sub box easily (read: racing!). Only problem is, when I remove the box I don't have much mid-bass impact with the current coaxials. So I figured that the only way to get what I wanted was to either make or buy some kickpanel locations or somehow get upgraded fullrange speakers into the factory sub openings in the doors. I wanted to save the kickpanels as the last option, so here's what I ended up doing to mount a set of MTX T6.6's in the factory sub locations:

-Took the factory subs out of the doors: I didn't want any kind of aftermarket grille, so I removed the factory grille from the factory sub. It's attached via adhesive; it will come off with enough patience.

-Mounted the x-over for my components into the factory sub opening. Then made a plate out of ABS plastic that was the same diameter of the factory sub, and mounted my components to the plate.

-Mounted the factory sub grille to the ABS plate; mounted the grille and plate as one piece to the door. Reattached the factory trim-ring that goes around the grille.

For as easy as it was, I couldn't be happier. This allowed me to get the additional volume that I needed, and without having to use some kind of aftermarket speaker grille. My system is really stealth (EQ mounted in the glove box, amps under the rear deck, etc.) and I like it like that. Here are some pics of the install.

Thanks,

Tom