05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

5 channel amp recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/08, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 channel amp recommendation

Looking for some help choosing a decent and inexpensive 5 channel amp. I haven't paid much attention to car audio for a long time so not sure what's the best brands out there these days. I am getting a AVIC-D3 to replace my AVIC-D1 (broken by some vandal punk). I have an Infinity Perfect 12 sub at 2ohm load. I was looking at the Infinity REF5350A. Says it will do 300 watts x 1 for the sub and 50 watts x 4 for the rest. Seems pretty good but they don't mention what class is the sub amp and also the damping factor is rather weak. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Stephen
Old 3/7/08, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Damping factor is a useless spec, so toss it out the window. Now, check out the Alpine PDX 5 channel (can't remember the model right off), but it's likely $$$$ right now. You can get Kicker 700.5's cheap, along with Rockford Fosgate 25 to Like Punch 1000's (I have one, and it is incredible). If you can possibly run that sub at a 4 ohm load, then I can help you out BIG time with an amp I have sitting idle (Infinity 5760 6 channel cough). A Directed D2205 would be sweet, and they're about $250.

Ohh, forgot, the Elemental 9.5!
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=550
Old 3/7/08, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

(Infinity 5760 6 channel cough)

yeah, this is a great amp as long as your not trying to blow out the entire neighborhood. I bought the same one from cardomain? about a year ago. Great all purpose one wire drop amp. You can bridge the sub channel to make it a 5 channel. Looks like Infinity is also hinting at something too ???
Old 3/7/08, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gremlin190
(Infinity 5760 6 channel cough)

yeah, this is a great amp as long as your not trying to blow out the entire neighborhood. I bought the same one from cardomain? about a year ago. Great all purpose one wire drop amp. You can bridge the sub channel to make it a 5 channel. Looks like Infinity is also hinting at something too ???
I'm pretty sure I suggested that amp to you when they were being cleared at SOundDomain- that's where I picked mine up. It's a decent amp, slightly underrated, and BIG. That's teh only reason it isn't in my truck is that I can't physically put it anywhere.
Old 3/7/08, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
I'm pretty sure I suggested that amp to you when they were being cleared at SOundDomain- that's where I picked mine up. It's a decent amp, slightly underrated, and BIG. That's teh only reason it isn't in my truck is that I can't physically put it anywhere.

You have quite the memory. I'm sure that was almost a year ago! Your right about the size! I managed to get it mounted to my back seat though. Came out really nice for a DIY job. IMO
Old 3/7/08, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Damping factor is a useless spec, so toss it out the window. Now, check out the Alpine PDX 5 channel (can't remember the model right off), but it's likely $$$$ right now. You can get Kicker 700.5's cheap, along with Rockford Fosgate 25 to Like Punch 1000's (I have one, and it is incredible). If you can possibly run that sub at a 4 ohm load, then I can help you out BIG time with an amp I have sitting idle (Infinity 5760 6 channel cough). A Directed D2205 would be sweet, and they're about $250.
I guess you mean damping factor is useless because its not reported in a standard way or do you really mean it doesn't matter at all? I thought damping factor meant how well an amp could control a sub and maintain consistent power. Numbers of abs 50 minimum whereas this Infinity amp is a low 6.3 at 4ohm and half that at 2ohm. Again, I haven't been really into car audio for a number of years so bear with me.

My sub is a dual coil 4ohm so I need to run it parallel 2ohm preferably.

Prior to posting I had looked at Alpine since that's what I currently have for a mono amp but I saw only 4/3/2 channels and they are a bit pricey. The Kicker 700.5 specs look great, I'm going to see if I can find a good deal on one. Thanks for your help.
Old 3/8/08, 04:24 AM
Cobra Member

Damping factor would be a useful spec IF it were reported in a standardized manner, and only then in certain situations. If your woofers are properly enclosed and crossed over, that will be the control they need. Even in an infinite baffle situation, it just isn't needed.

Last edited by Infinity; 3/8/08 at 10:13 PM. Reason: grammar