05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2008 Inspired Ambient Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/07, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittperson - love the pics and nice write up. Has anyone done the same thing but in the foot wells?
Old 7/8/07, 09:23 PM

I'd like to put some in the footwells also, but am nowhere close to being able to figure out how to do it on my own!

I'm not sure those console LEDs would work with my MGW bezel>?!>!
Old 7/10/07, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you need foot well lights i can help, i put lights in the front and REAR foot wells and soon to have the trunk lit up too I will post a full write up in a few and then post pics
Old 7/10/07, 02:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That would be very cool!!!
Old 7/10/07, 03:41 PM

Thats awesome.. Looking forward to the write up Red Dragon.
Old 7/10/07, 05:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well here it is, i am working on a PDF for the whole thing so i will have it down soon, but this should help for now

OK first things first
1. begin to take off the top A-arm cover, it uses snaps so to not be afraid to tug a little hard on it just remember it can only bend so much

2. take off the door sill plate (just pull up on it, it has snaps and some double sided tape but thats all)

3. remove the passanger side kick panel all of these are held on by snaps

now for the wiring:
1. buy two spools of 16 or 14 guage green and black wires (buy two spools of each and 16guage perferably, make things easier) also buy some quick splice connectors (the red ones work best or the blues)

2. on the pillar you should see a connector, cut some of the tape off under the connector heading to the dash

3. find the black with blue line wire and the green with yellow line wire

4. take the black both spools and feed the wires from the opening in the dash and down through the hole behind the radio

5. make sure you have pleanty of extra length (about 3-5 feet extra) and cut the wires at the spools

6. place the end of the black wire in the quick splice and connect it to the black with blue wire (i know this is odd but that is your 12v source)

7. do the same for the green wire and the green with yellow wire

8. start zip tieing both wires to the main ones and route the wires to the back so they will zip tie with the main wires for the stereo

9. get two more quick splices and cut about 2 feet of green and black wire and splice them into the long one near the side of the stereo

10.I used some LED's for my install, they are brighter than the turn signals and cost less, here is the best place to get them and it is really 4 LED's in one bulb ( Oznium LED's )

11.now connect the red wire to the black one and the black wire to the green (i know ford is odd that way)

12.and mount the bulb somewhere, the pictures show where i put them (that is why i love LED's they will never get so hot they burn you like the turn signal bulbs and they go anywhere)

will post up how to do the back in a bit but i will post pics just for a teaser

Old 7/11/07, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome write up. I like the idea of using LEDs. When I did mine, I could not find the LEDs you recommended at autozone.

Here's a link to my write up

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/footwellLights.htm

I like the idea of putting lights in the back too.
Old 7/11/07, 07:14 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info.

Old 7/11/07, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah the LED's i used i have only been able to find on oznium.com, but they are worth it, like one of my pics has, you can even see the lights during the day
Old 7/16/07, 11:42 PM
V6 Member

VERY nice!

Hell, having seen pics of the factory ambient lighting, I'd say this looks BETTER.
Old 7/17/07, 08:16 PM

OK. I admit ignorance. When do these lights come on? When the interior (map) lights are on or are they linked into the wiring for the headlights so they come on with the instrument cluster? With the 08, I think its the later and there is a switch that can turm them off completly and change colors (I can live with one single color LED).
Old 7/21/07, 08:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I plan on doing a duo color. Blue and white. the white ones I plan on hooking up with the dome light when I open the doors they come on, the blue ones I am going to hook up with a rocker switch so they only come on when I want them.
Also kicking around putting a set in the 68 hood scoops, and attach them to the turnsignals.. If that will work
Placement so far is under the front foot wells, in the doors one under the sub woofer and one more to the back by the reflector to shine into the rear floor boards. a set in the trunk and maybe some under the hood. I may also try the cup holder too.
Any other segestions?
Old 7/21/07, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Older footwell lighting do-it-yourself thread:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=64997

Personally, I didn't want to use the LEDs in the footwell area because of the super white light they give off so I went with regular side marker lights like odiaz did. I wanted pull some subtle off white lighting down into the footwell area but not so much that it's distracting. Night time shot here:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...1&d=1179027397

RedDragon777, great write up! I always enjoy when someone goes to that level of detail. Leaves no questions. One suggestion with the blurry pics, those pics would come out super crisp if you were to use the macro focus setting on your camera (it looks like a little flower).

But there, I think we're off topic again. I believe ambient lighting is lighting that is always on giving a mellow glow while driving, whereas the footwell light discussion is for when the doors are open and you want so see what's going on by your feet (not driving).
Old 7/21/07, 01:50 PM
Cobra R Member

That is why I am going with the duo color, blue for a subtle glow, and white for when I need to find what I droped on the floor.
You can get LED's in different intensities they have a soft white and the super brights. TheLEDLight.com company has about 10 different white LED's. I bought a grab bag pack ( actually four of them) at $3. each and ended up with over 300 LED's. Problem is you have to test each one to find out the color. With shipping it was less than $20. Something to play with.

Thanks for the post on the other footwell lighting option I had forgot about that one.
Old 7/21/07, 10:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah i will use that next time, sorry about the pics my camera $ucks **** LOL.

Chris (WikdRyd): these come on when you open the doors and unlock them. Also when you roll the dimmer wheel up they turn on.

Doug: the turn signals will work but i do rcommend some heatshrink or some liquid tape to cover the LED and connections, i think you can tap into the turn signals under the hood
Old 8/5/07, 07:43 PM

Hey guys, a little question. I have one of the first 05 GT's manuals built somewhere in the 3000 area. Anyway I have followed this forum since I bought my ride and have done many of the mods. I run the C&L cold air intake, Diablo Sport Tuner with custom tune and larger throttle body.

So I did the original part of this mod. Looks awesome. Everything was going great all operational with dimmer and everything. Then when I tried to start car with headlights on it went into fail safe mode. I am thinking it saw the additional drain and thought it was being highjacked. Am I crazy off base here or is this possible?
Old 8/5/07, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Doug: the turn signals will work but i do rcommend some heatshrink or some liquid tape to cover the LED and connections, i think you can tap into the turn signals under the hood
Yup, my plan thanks for the re assurance.
Old 8/6/07, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by TNVOL
Hey guys, a little question. I have one of the first 05 GT's manuals built somewhere in the 3000 area. Anyway I have followed this forum since I bought my ride and have done many of the mods. I run the C&L cold air intake, Diablo Sport Tuner with custom tune and larger throttle body.

So I did the original part of this mod. Looks awesome. Everything was going great all operational with dimmer and everything. Then when I tried to start car with headlights on it went into fail safe mode. I am thinking it saw the additional drain and thought it was being highjacked. Am I crazy off base here or is this possible?
The more I think about this the more I think it must just be
coincidence. I unhooked the battery to do the mod and it must have thrown things out of wack with the program. If anybody experiences the same please give me a heads up. Thanks.....
Old 8/6/07, 08:25 PM
Den
GT Member

I just bought a '08 with ambient lighting and I love it! The coolest effect is the cup holders at night when you have a clear bottle of water in it. The whole bottle glows whatever color you have selected. Maybe if you put some leds in the cup holders you can have the same effect. You will like it!

Den
Old 8/18/07, 09:34 PM

How about it?

Anyone thought of other places to add this LED lighting like maybe side door pockets, Inside door handles, AC Vents, or something?

How about changing the map lights to same color bulbs?