05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2008 Inspired Ambient Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/07, 02:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Inspired Ambient Lighting

After reading about this ambient lighting offered for 08 I decided it'd be a fun little project. I drilled 2 1/4" holes behind the cupholders in the part that is coverd by the armrest when closed, and mounted 2 green LEDs. I had to dremmel out some plastic right below the LEDs (under the trim) to run the wires and allow the trim to be snapped back on.

They do a good job at, you guessed it, providing some ambient light. They light up the center stack with a hint of green and provide enough light to be able to read something with out turning on the over head lights. The LEDs turn on with the headlight switch and can be dimmed. Here are some pictures (I stole the first two from 05GT-O.C.D.'s engine start button thread... shhhh ).

The wire used to power the LEDs. I had to place 2 100ohm resistors inline before the LEDs.

Ground Nut

Parts needed.
- 2 100 ohm resistors
- 2 5mm LEDs
- 5mm LED mounts
- Heat shrink
Old 6/20/07, 04:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VERY COOL!!! Any chance you could post up install instructions, on how to and where to wire everything up at? It looks like a very inexpensive mod to do. I like it, nice job!
Old 6/20/07, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

It is pretty cheap, about $9. I didn't take pictures along the way but here are the steps.

First, run to your local radio shack and buy the following:
- 2 100 ohm resistors (they come in packs of 6)
- 2 5mm LEDs (might want to pick up a few extras just in case)
- 5mm LED mounts (they come in packs of 6 I believe)
- Heat shrink

1) Remove the shifter boot and ****
2) Open the center console and remove the 2 rear screws
3) Pull up on the rear of the center console molding (it just unsnaps)
4) Pull up on the front of the center console molding
5) Molding should be free, remove molding
6) Drill 2 1/4" holes in the molding (see my first post for reference, placement is all up to you though)
7) Dremel out the plastic right in front of the lock for the center console arm rest (I don't have a picture of this, but you will see it when you take the trim off). You will run the wires up through this area.

Wiring up the LEDs
Here is a 2nd grade version of the wiring diagram.

The 12v wire used to power the LEDs.

Ground Nut
Old 6/20/07, 08:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

wow that is what i am going to be doing, wondering if you are going to add a switch later, i might be adding some red ones later on but the superflux LEDs
Old 6/20/07, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pittperson
Here is a 2nd grade version of the wiring diagram.

The 12v wire used to power the LEDs.

Can you be more specific as to what power source you used? Good job. Looks easy enough just need to know which power supply you used, one that works when the lights are turned on and off I guess.

Thanks again
Old 6/20/07, 09:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

it is the plug that is used on the automatics and it is the blue wire with a violet stripe, it is a constant 12v source
Old 6/20/07, 09:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

also you can buy some pre-wired LEDs or prewired SuperFlux LED's (4 diodes in one bulb) over where i buy my lights from at Oznium.com, they already have the resistors soldered on them and all you need to do is connect the red and black wires and you have lights.
Old 6/21/07, 08:43 PM
Cobra R Member

well with the schematics you drew up above, how do you adjust the lights with your headlights and dim them etc. You need to hook into that system dont you if your adjusting the leds etc, not just on. Do you have the wires to hook it up with the headlights etc. not just a constant 12v. Thanks for more info
Old 6/21/07, 09:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by philster2003
Can you be more specific as to what power source you used? Good job. Looks easy enough just need to know which power supply you used, one that works when the lights are turned on and off I guess.

Thanks again

Since that's my thumb in the picture, I can tell you that that is the plug under the center console and is used with automatics to supply lighting, etc for the indicator lights.

Also, if put on a dimmer, can being on a dimmer harm LED's? I don't remember if that's a constant 12v or an adjustable (dimming) lead, but there should be a dimmer lead in the same spot if the indicator lights in an automatic dim w/ the dash lights.

Nice job on the install. It seems pretty cool. I know Acura has had a similar system for a few years now.
Old 6/21/07, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nice write up and great idea. Thanks for posting this
Old 6/22/07, 05:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oops, I guess I should have mentioned where that wire was. Thanks 05GT-O.C.D.. That wire will allow dimming.

I don't believe dimming an LED will harm it, but I'm not that much of an electrical guru so I can only go by what google tells me . Since the LEDs were only 99 cents a piece, I'm not too worried. I've dimmed them a few times and brought them back up and they are still running strong thus far.
Old 6/22/07, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Since that's my thumb in the picture, I can tell you that that is the plug under the center console and is used with automatics to supply lighting, etc for the indicator lights.

Also, if put on a dimmer, can being on a dimmer harm LED's? I don't remember if that's a constant 12v or an adjustable (dimming) lead, but there should be a dimmer lead in the same spot if the indicator lights in an automatic dim w/ the dash lights.

Nice job on the install. It seems pretty cool. I know Acura has had a similar system for a few years now.

Ahhhh thats great for all you auto guys but for us manual types we need to find a dimable power source around the console area hmmmmm
Old 6/22/07, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

IIRC, all manuals have the same dimable power source the autos have but its just not used. I wouldnt think Ford would have a different interior wiring harness for the auto vs. manual. I could be wrong though.
Old 6/22/07, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

That is correct. I have a manual and the harness is there, just not used.
Old 6/22/07, 09:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 66COUP
IIRC, all manuals have the same dimable power source the autos have but its just not used. I wouldnt think Ford would have a different interior wiring harness for the auto vs. manual. I could be wrong though.
OK, thats cool, I dismantled my console area when I installed the MGW and really didn't notice any connectors in the ara but I wasn't looking for any. I'll take another peek, thanks for the info though.
Old 6/22/07, 10:27 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the manual shift - it's there.
Old 6/23/07, 02:20 PM
Cobra Member

That looks good, Do they make any color changing LED's.
Old 7/1/07, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 302svt
That looks good, Do they make any color changing LED's.
I found some here

http://www.environmentallights.com/s...dex&cPath=1303
Old 7/1/07, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

FYI.....>>

Different colored LEDs all use different resistances to get the same "brightness". Assuming you try the 2.2 volt LEDs, the most common type. Try different resistances, starting at 100 ohms going all the way up to, say, 3k ohms. I keep a small collection of different colored LEDs and resistors just to play around with.

I've installed a lot of LEDs in many cars for different purposes and the only way to know if it's too bright or too dim FOR YOU is to experiment. Just remember that you cannot use a 2.2 volt LED without a resistor. The resistors can be as small as 1/4 watt rating. If you try powering without a resistor, you'll experience the "sizzle, crackle and pop" phenomenon!
Old 7/2/07, 05:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

As a follow up to Willie's post, check out this page, it is perfect for an estimated resistor range.

http://metku.net/index.html?sect=vie...calc/index_eng

Quick Reply: 2008 Inspired Ambient Lighting