05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

07 Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/06, 07:07 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Window Tint Question

Anyone with an 07 had the windows tinted? Did Ford fix the problem with the 05 and 06 scratching the tint? Hubbys 06 is scratched pretty bad.
Old 9/19/06, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangmomasc
Did Ford fix the problem with the 05 and 06 scratching the tint?
I doubt it.

You can take a peek down into the window wiper channel and see if there's any felt up against the inner side of the glass.
Old 9/19/06, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't bet on it... I haven't seen one, but.. $10 to save $200 worth of tint...
Old 9/19/06, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

No, they didn't fix it. I had to install felt (moleskin) on my 07, and have had no problems yet. (4 months)
Old 9/19/06, 02:57 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took my doors apart (well, only the inner wipe) last night and installed moleskin on them. There is no feld whatsoever on the factory pieces. Good thing I decided to buy the moleskin (and duro-felt) before hand. Decided to go with moleskin since they say their adhesive is more heat resistent.

Going to get the windows tinted tomorrow, we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 9/19/06, 03:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i got my 07 tinted, I asked my installer about it. He was already aware of the need for felt on the mustangs. So felt was included in his install process.
Old 9/19/06, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Fix

Anyone with an 07 had the windows tinted? Did Ford fix the problem with the 05 and 06 scratching the tint? Hubbys 06 is scratched pretty bad.
NO they did not fix the problem.
Old 9/19/06, 03:35 PM
GT Member

I learned the hard way. Mine scratched the first time I rolled them down. the tint shop removed the tint & retinted them for free & I ordered MoleSkin From the link below. Havent had any scratches & the windows are up & down probably 10 times a day. the MoleSkin rocks!!! Oh & when I asked the dealership about the scratching they said they had not heard of any problems & did not know of any problems with the wipes on the 05,06 & 07s it was probably the tint the shop used. Thats what the dealer said, Like they know. There are tooooo many with window scratches for it to be the tint.
Old 9/20/06, 07:24 AM
GT Member

I talked to two shops yesterday and then the dealer and no one has ever heard of the problem.....they think it is poor tint quality so the company I use (lifetime guarantee) is going to replace hubbys tint and put mine on...so if it scratches I'm gonna wear them out replacing it.....thanks for the input.
Old 9/20/06, 07:53 AM

I talked to two shops yesterday and then the dealer and no one has ever heard of the problem.....they think it is poor tint quality so the company I use (lifetime guarantee) is going to replace hubbys tint and put mine on...so if it scratches I'm gonna wear them out replacing it.....thanks for the input.
Sandy, why waste your (and your hubby's) time in the future getting them re-tinted and having to go through the same complaint process?

The shops that you spoke to (especially the Dealer) are idiots. This issue has been documented here I don't know how many times.

You spoke to 3 folks, yet 7 members on this thread alone have said the contrary. And if you were to do a search, you'd come up with at least 50+ more. Who you gonna believe?
Old 9/20/06, 08:50 AM
GT Member

Oh I believe everyone here and I know from my hubbys 06 scratches, but no one in town here will acknowledge its a problem and I am not very mechanically inclined to do the fix myself..The dealer is not going to help...the tint people are not going to help so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I may need to call some body shops and get a quote on what they would charge me to install the moleskin......I even told both installers I had documentation and instructions to fix the problem and they said they did not believe that it was the problem.......dealer said the same thing. This really sucks...unless Ford puts out a TSB not sure what else to do.
Old 9/20/06, 09:33 AM

...unless Ford puts out a TSB not sure what else to do.
Highly doubtful, as TSB's are issued for OEM problems. Window film tint is an aftermarket addition and is not a concern for Ford.

Don't underestimate your mechanical abilities. I'm sure you and your hubby (working together) can install the felt or moleskin yourselves. Don't pay to have it done when you guys can do it correctly and without rushing.

Take a look at this 'How To' written by one of our members here.
As a side note, I would recommend scuffing the channel surface with some coarse sandpaper, then wipe down with the alcohol, prior to installing the felt/moleskin so it bonds better.
Old 9/20/06, 01:05 PM
GT Member

Ok, I've decided to give it a try as the instructions above were pretty easy to follow....no sense tinting the windows till I fix the scratching problem...so wish me luck...Saturday should be fun.....
Old 9/20/06, 01:17 PM

You can and will succeed! Just take it step by step and everything will turn out just fine.
Old 9/20/06, 01:19 PM

btw, click on my Solar Guard window tint link in my sig to see my felt being installed. Can't hurt to see more pics of how that wiper channel looks like.
Old 9/20/06, 05:13 PM
GT Member

I'm scheduled for window tint this Friday and I already bought my moleskin kit. Then I talked to the installer and he sounded familiar with the problem and said he could install their own felt. Not sure what brand he has but if I let them install their material it will be covered under their warranty along with the tint.

I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 9/20/06, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Tinting

Ok, I've decided to give it a try as the instructions above were pretty easy to follow....no sense tinting the windows till I fix the scratching problem...so wish me luck...Saturday should be fun.....
Just take your time and you will see you can do it.
Old 9/25/06, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up Tinted windows

Yes, my tinted windows got scratched too...but thanks to this forum I spoke to the nice man who tinted them and he's getting the felt to put on and retint my windows... Live and learn!
Old 9/25/06, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Well it rained and stormed all freaking weekend so I didn't get to install my felt.......but I think it was meant to be......I took my mustang to the bodyshop to get a estimate on a hood scoop and the guy there is going to put my felt on my windows for $25.00 while its in the shop.and do my hubbys for $25.00 too....so my windows can be tinted and I can post some pics soon.....thanks to everyone here for all your help.