05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Will GT500 Front splitter fit GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/07, 07:14 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Antrax
Does Kevin take too much time answering emails. I email his two days ago and no answer yet.

Diego
Kevin will answer emails but takes a day or to, TMS keeps him very busy. Give him a call if you need immediate assistance, he is a great guy.

I am also looking forward to this mod, can't wait to see the results
Old 1/30/07, 11:34 AM

@TBone69

No answer yet, it's been almost a week. I will email again today.

Thanks
Diego
Old 1/30/07, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Just call Kevin. He is great on the phone. He gets backlogged with e-mails. I don't think another e-mail will help ya.

As far as progress. I got mine all mounted up this weekend. It took me a good 5 hours or so leisurly fitting it. I had the spoiler on and off the car probably a good 8-9 times. I would say two people are mandatory for the job IMO. Look pretty good though, very factory.

I am still playing around with the angle of the side wings and probably will add an additional fastener to each side before I am done.

The lip wants to sit on a slightly downward plane rather than flat, it is just the nature of our bumpers. Not sure if that can be fixed. I am not sure I like how that slope looks. On the GT500 it sits flatter.

I have an assortment of finishing plugs coming from McMaster tomorrow to plug the holes as they are annoying me a bit but not as bad as I thought. The square tab in the middle is going to need addressing too. have to do something with that as it is an eyesore.

I used an assortment of the factory shelby hardware and some stainless common hardware to make it fit.

4 factory holes line up with the new spoiler. The additional two holes in the factory bumper already can be used as mounting points by drilling the lip spoiler accordingly.

I ended up adding two additional bolts per side by drilling the factory bumper.

In the fenderwell, the lower screw there works as a fastening point, but you have to drill the lip spoiler. One hole will probably have to be drilled in the plastic inner fender itself to make it work.

It is going to be hard to describe what I did, but will post pics and try my best when I get a chance. Might take a week or so as I am still fitting, adjusting, etc. It will have to come off the car a couple more times I think before it is done.

This mod, while sounds easy, is not for the non-mechanically inclined. I have done bodywork professionally and it took alot of effort to go from just bolting it on, to actually making it look nice.

For the cutting and grinding of the webbing. I tried a couple things, including a dremel. All very slow and like trying to break concrete with a tack hammer. I did not remove the entire side webbing. I only removed what was absolutly needed to clear.

I ended up using a right angle air die grinder with a 3" cutoff wheel to lop the large stuff off. Then "cleaned" it up with a 3m green corps roloc disk.

All said and done. I might run this for a while, who knows, maybe permantly. But if someone comes out with a grill mounted fog lamp setup for the GT500 bumper, I might just swap out to that facia eventually with the GT hood.

But I don't want to lose my GT fog lamps, so that is mandatory for whatever happens.

I will get pictures posted in the next week or so. Right now my car looks like a saltine cracker given the snow we had yesterday and the 4 tons of salt dropped.
Old 1/30/07, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by classj
Just call Kevin. He is great on the phone. He gets backlogged with e-mails. I don't think another e-mail will help ya.
+1 Call Kevin. It is the best way to get in touch with him. I spoke with him today and placed my order for a Shelby GT500 rear spoiler. Great guy.
Old 2/3/07, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Finished up the install by fabricating a piece to go between the lower fascia and the spiltter.

This gap is approx 40" long. I used an aluminum 3/4 X 1" square channel. The 3/4" sides face front and back w/the channel facing down.

I located center and then marked it and cut a V to allow the channel to bend backwards.

I started by inserting the channel in the gap and then determined where I needed to cut more V's in the channel to give a smooth curve to match the cover.

The splitter has four hole that line up almost perfect with the bumper cover - just some enlongation of the holes made it work.

I then put the channel back in and marked the holes to drill in the channel and enlongated those to allow for some movement to center the channel in the gap.

I used 4 bolts about 2" long to attach the splitter to the fascia and large washers inside the cover to help spread the load and prevent stress to the cover. It's not much tension.

The hardest part is gringing down the yellow area. Everything else pretty much matches up.

Looking at the install pics it looks like I may need to go back and push the center in some. It may be an optical delusion

1. White Holes Need To Be Enlongated

2. Red Tab Needs To Be Removed

3. Yellow Area Needs To Be Trimmed Flush With The Back Edge - Trim To Fit Fascia

Channel

Trimmed and bent to fit and drilled for thru bolts

Installed

Last Gap, What To Do ?

Old 2/3/07, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Does the whole thing need to go forward to get rid of that wheel arch gap?
Old 2/3/07, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Does the whole thing need to go forward to get rid of that wheel arch gap?
It can't
Old 2/3/07, 10:18 PM

How much does the GT 500 splitter cost?
Old 2/3/07, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Antrax
How much does the GT 500 splitter cost?
Ck w/kevin @ clevparts.com calling him is best
The Official TMS Supplier
Old 2/10/07, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

cjclass

Is yours all finished now? Any pictures to share?
Old 2/12/07, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Hey guys. Here are a couple quick pictures of mine. I am not quite finished yet, but wanted to share.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Splitter (01).bmp (415.8 KB, 313 views)
Splitter (02).bmp (319.6 KB, 250 views)
Splitter (03).bmp (370.6 KB, 416 views)
Old 2/12/07, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt1609
Hey guys. Here are a couple quick pictures of mine. I am not quite finished yet, but wanted to share.
Looking good. Any insight on how you fitted it?
Old 2/13/07, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt1609
That looks great on Silver Satin and may be my next mod! Do you have gap issue in the fender well as well?
Old 2/14/07, 03:11 AM
GT Member

Redbullet deserves a big thank you, as I followed in his footsteps.

On the splitter, the "webbing" is about 1.5" tall, and runs the entire length of the splitter. Notice the recessed area in the center of the bumper just below the lower grill - the "webbing" will have to be grinded off from both outer edge, all the way to the fender well. This will allow the splitter to mount flush on the bottom of the bumper. The "webbing" across the center of the bumper does not necessarily have to be grinded down because of the recessed area in the bumper when compared to the GT/CS bumper. I started to use a similar channel piece as Redbullet, but was not able to completely fit it how I wanted it just yet.

As for the gap at the fender well, I tried to address it as I was installing it. I did have to drill a couple new holes in the fender well parts as to help with the gap. I will snap a picture of it when I get home from work this afternoon.
Old 2/17/07, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

Bullit1609

Did you ever get the pictures you were going to post.

Classj

Did your install go the same way?
Old 2/18/07, 06:11 AM
GT Member

I can't believe that some enterprising individual hasn't redesigned this piece for regular GTs. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it just fit without drama

It's a great subtle look.
Old 2/18/07, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

anyone know the part # I'm in canada and would like to try this one as well looks great thanks
Old 2/18/07, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

7R31Z17626AB

fastener kit - bolt / nut plate

W302597 10 pcs
W302348S300 10 pcs
Old 2/19/07, 08:16 AM
V6 Member

Cool thanks boss makes it alot easier for me
Old 2/25/07, 06:58 AM
GT Member

Sorry for the delay in taking the side pics of mine. I have been extremely busy between working on financials at work and my night classes. I am finished with the gap in the front, but still want to address the sides sometime. What do you guys think?

Please don't mind the dirt. I will be washing and waxing today.
Attached Images
Splitter (01).bmp (465.0 KB, 228 views)
Splitter (02).bmp (481.3 KB, 195 views)
Splitter (03).bmp (465.0 KB, 882 views)
Splitter (04).bmp (465.0 KB, 306 views)

Quick Reply: Will GT500 Front splitter fit GT?