05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Will GT500 Front splitter fit GT?

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/07, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My splitter arrived today. Will start on mounting it tomorrow. I have the CS front fascia.
Old 1/19/07, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I picked mine up from the dealer the other day. I did not get a chance to do any fitting with it yet, not sure when I will find the time. I have the standard 06 GT nose.

Once I play with the fitment I will post info. I did hold it under the car on a couple pieces of wood just to get an idea of what it would look like and so far I think there is definate hope. But I have a feeling it may need bodywork, primer, and a shot of black paint if I can't live with the holes.

Old 1/20/07, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Well there may be more than one way to deal with the exposed holes:

1) literally fill with a plastic compound

2) find a plastic push pin that will fit

3) find a plastic cap that will fit

4) fill it with a nice looking flathead screw

Someone mentioned concern about support across the gap and was going to install a brace. How about a thin flat doubler plate underneath fastened thru those exposed holes? That will add a lot of strength. A thin painted aluminum doubler laid over the area exposed by the bumper cover gap from the mpld line back would hide the surgery to remove the honeycomb and and other lumps.
Old 1/20/07, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Well there may be more than one way to deal with the exposed holes:

1) literally fill with a plastic compound

2) find a plastic push pin that will fit

3) find a plastic cap that will fit

4) fill it with a nice looking flathead screw

Someone mentioned concern about support across the gap and was going to install a brace. How about a thin flat doubler plate underneath fastened thru those exposed holes? That will add a lot of strength. A thin painted aluminum doubler laid over the area exposed by the bumper cover gap from the mpld line back would hide the surgery to remove the honeycomb and and other lumps.

Or a few standoffs would support it too I bet if you bolted through the whole thing.

Once I get it mounted I am going to see what needs filling and hiding and rummage through the mcmaster catalog to see what they have to offer.
Old 1/21/07, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the first fitting of the GT500 splitter to a GT/CS fascia. It's about 80% fitted. I need to support the front middle to keep it from druping and fill the small gap at the wheel well opening.

The section below the lower grill is the hardest to fit because it is recessed from the sides of the fascia. I will either use some stands but I'm thinking of some sort of light. I have to go shopping in the bone yard.

Everything else on the front fits snug 'cept the the wheel well and I will probably use some foam the fill the gap.

Old 1/21/07, 08:56 PM
Cobra Member

At last some real scenes. Thanks. So did you grind all of that off?

Some thin alumimim sheet attached to the top and underneath, across the open span would stiffen the part quite a bit. Then color match with a non glossy paint. The aluminum sheet would not extend past that forward mold line, and would and would give the surgical scars a finished look. A piece of thin aluminim sheet underneath the whole width would morestiffening.

Where are the gaps you mention?
Attached Thumbnails Will GT500 Front splitter fit GT?-center.jpg  
Old 1/21/07, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
At last some real scenes. Thanks. So did you gring all that off?

Some thin alumimim sheet attached to the top and underneath, across the open span would stiffen the part quite a bit. Then color match with a non glossy paint. The aluminum sheet would not extend past that forward mold line, and would and would give the surgical scars a finished look. A piece of thin aluminim sheet underneath the whole width would morestiffening.

Where are the gaps you mention?
The gaps are at the wheel well where the splitter makes the 90* up-turn. I didn't get any pics of that.

I have thought of an aluminum piece. A U channel piece would make it real easy. Once the front is lifted the back side won't be as noticeable.

I've also got a left over billet overlay grill that I could hack up.

In the first pic you will see that the crate looking strengthing support is raised. I ground that down to sit flush underneath, as seen in the pic with the blue tape.
Notice the difference towards the back/inside of the splitter??
Old 1/21/07, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I spoke with a member of another forum and I looked at the splitter fitment on my standard 06 GT nose today. From the looks of it, it appears that alot less grinding will be needed when compared to the GT/CS nose.

I made some marks on mine today and so far, the only part that needs trimming is the honeycomb to the right and left of the center part. And not the entire side honeycomb section. Probably an inch or two of it can stay.

It appears that only the center holes will show. Again, not entirely sure. But I am looking into plugs.

One thing is certain. My floor jack JUST clears the stock GT nose in my garage. So after the lip is on, it will have to go on planks before jacking it up which will be a pita. Also, maybe it is the threat of snow that has my mind going, but this lip spoiler looks awfull snow plow like and would not be happy hitting some deep snow or ice unless it gets fastened well.

Also, mine appears to be lining up with some factory bumper bolts. So there may not be much drilling at all needed.

As far as stiffening the center. I dont see the need yet, but I have to start grinding and bolt it up for a test fit.
Old 1/21/07, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

The CS/GT fitment looks a litte different than the GT because of the built in air dam compared to the GT, the GT fscia mold line looks a lot more like the GT500 as well.

Are you guys using a disk sander / grinder or a rotary tool?
Old 1/21/07, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

The CS/GT fitment looks a litte different than the GT because of the built in air dam compared to the GT, the GT fscia mold line looks a lot more like the GT500 as well.

Are you guys using a disk sander / grinder or a rotary tool?
Disc, Roloc 80 grit
Old 1/22/07, 07:51 PM

I love this mod. I'm planing on do it to my 05 GT. I have a little problem, my Ford dealer closed down a few months back and the closest one is a few hours drive. So, where can I get the Shelby front splitter online and for how much?

Thanks
Diego
Old 1/22/07, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

email Kevin at clevparts@aol.com
Old 1/22/07, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Clevparts.com will hook you up. Just give Kevin Casey a ring at clevanger ford.
Old 1/22/07, 10:18 PM

Thanks. Just email Kevin

Diego
Old 1/22/07, 10:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

so was there any real cutting of the bumper, i know it has been said a couple of time but from the pics i do not see any change
Old 1/22/07, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

So far I don't see any reasons why I would have to cut the car. I will know more when I get cracking at this.
Old 1/24/07, 01:57 PM

Does Kevin take too much time answering emails. I email his two days ago and no answer yet.

Diego
Old 1/24/07, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Antrax
Does Kevin take too much time answering emails. I email his two days ago and no answer yet.

Diego
Call him. When I ordered my splitter last week he was abut 75 emails beind.

1-800-570-5554 Parts 800
1-559-782-5139 Parts Direct
Old 1/29/07, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone make any progress over the weekend? Mine is yet to arrive.
Old 1/29/07, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Anyone make any progress over the weekend? Mine is yet to arrive.
I did, but I didn't mount it. When completed next weekend I'll post rest of the pics.

Quick Reply: Will GT500 Front splitter fit GT?