05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06, 01:19 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark,

I am busy at the moment, but I will be happy to address all these questions either later this evening or early tomorrow - consider this a place-holder Especially since some of these questions have not been asked in the other thread, so I'll cover them and just copy and paste them to the other one as well.
Old 10/17/06, 03:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Original Sin

But I must say, your prototype design of an actual replacement quarter window is stunning !! By comparison, all of the others look "tacked on" (which they are of course), yours is what Ford should have done. I'll be honest, I wish that you would have considered the 12 slot version (as per the originals) but this is a very close 2nd for looking factory.

I had the MRT version which I liked, but after a year it just didn't cut anymore and I took it off. Your version goes the extra mile and it'll do great I'm sure.

One question - can you talk about expected installation, durability of the installation, durability of the materials, sound deadening quality of your materials (the plastic vs the factory glass) or any other specifics that aren't mentioned on the SHR website or here ??

Thanks, looking forward to this one !!!! Mark
Mark,

Thank you for the compliments, they are appreciated. We did look at the 67-68 vent as an option, but since I get the final say on the design, I liked the look we could achieve with the 65-66 piece better. The lines on the 05 lend themselves to the more aggressive looking part, and the 12 vent setup didn't give us the ability to make them visible through the part due to the vent depths we would have had to work with. Having driven my 73 for years with no rear visibility, I try not to steal it away from cars that do have it, even if it's not a lot.

On to the questions:

Expected Installation: It's in the other thread we have going, in much greater detail, but expect the backyard mechanic to take about 2.5 hours with the aid of a friend, or even less by himself if given an air-cutter vs. using the piano wire we use.

Durability : Should be equivalant to OEM. We are recommending the same urethane sealer / glue to be used to adhere our part to the car that is used to hold the glass in place. There are no bolts or anything like that on the glass, and so our part does not have them either.

Durability of Materials: We are using a BASF engineered resin that has UV inhibitors built into the mix. The thickness of our piece is approximately the same as the factory glass or even thicker in areas, hence why it needs to be injection molded on a large (300 ton) press at over 500 degrees rather than vacuum formed like an R/C car body. Given also that it is smoke tinted rather than clear, and the UV resistance goes up, further enhancing the life of the part. We expect it to last as long as the car, given normal maintenance and care. Like our honeycomb panel and billet products, we do not look for customers to need to be replacing our parts every couple years - we expect that once you buy our parts, only an accident will require you to buy them again (and yes, we've had that come up ! )

Other than that, all I can say is that like other parts we manufacture right here in the USA, we only offer to make things I'd put on my own car. If I'm not happy with it, I can't expect our customers to be either. So when this is done, and I'm happy with it, that's when we will release it for production and to our pre-order customers. Simple rule that works well for us as a company.
Old 10/21/06, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Xenon ones. I also had a local tint shop put vinyl on the inside window. It just looks blacked out from the inside.
Old 10/27/06, 09:33 PM

Don't worry about the louvers coming off. If the attaching tape product is 3M foam tape, after a short time, you will need to tear the actual foam in half before the adhesive will give. The main thing is to clean the surface well with alcohol to maximize the bond.

You'd be surprised what is held together by tape and adhesive these days.
Old 10/27/06, 11:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm digging my 3Dcarbon scoops. It's my car so I really don't care what other people think of them as far as being "non-functional". I like the way they make my car look, to me that is a function.

Old 10/27/06, 11:25 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Man, I thought we were good with our product placement stuff...

You realize that there are two pictures there with the 3D carbon logo in reverse reflecting off of the car! The first and last shot of the bunch had it in there... that was actually pretty cool from an artistic / advertising view. The trash in the third picture though...

Anyway, they do look nice - a lot like the prototype, or a scaled version of the 68 Shelby piece - still though, I'm going with the flush as my vote - There's just something about the flush mount in person that is hard to describe in pictures.
Old 10/27/06, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL it was garbage day... that's why the 3Dcarbon box was out on the curb.
Old 10/27/06, 11:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Ahh, I figured as much, because it was in the close-up shots, meaning it was close to the car, but then absent from the distant shots, as if it had been moved away. I could tell it was the edge of a box, because you could see the corner reflection...

As an exercise in playing with my Canon, I shot this one during another shoot of the black car, but had taken my car there, so it was a cool thing to try... check it out, kind of like the artwork that you see for sale in the rags.
Attached Images  
Old 10/28/06, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

for all those of you with the cervinis, you SHOULD NOT cut them out. i picked mine up at cervinis, and had a long talk with them about this. they have been wind tunnel tested up to 150 and have not come off. if you cut them out, then there is more air trying to pull them away from the car. if you leave them closed, once they fill up with air they stay that way and it just goes around them. trust me on this, i didnt belive them till i spoke to a bunch of the techs when i was at cervinis. i have had their scoops on for a while now, and they are not loose at all. for quality you cannot beat them. and the blind spot, you will be used to it after driving for 1 day. heres pix.