05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/06, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My scoops are absolutely non functinal, but i dont care. My rims also dont really serve any purpose other than looking good, does that mean people shouldnt put rims on their cars either? They serve the funciton of making MY car look better to ME. So like everyone else has said, if you like the look go for it and get them.

On another note,I dont have any other close up pics of the Cervinis ones on hand, but if there is a certain pic you want from a certain angle just let me know and Ill go out and take it for you.
Old 10/6/06, 03:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kept my car scoop free, but I added scoops on my wife's GTCS (her choice) and it does look good.
Old 10/6/06, 05:01 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm going for the "retro" muscle look, and I think the louvers do the job perfectly. I LOVE them. So they're not functional, big freakin' deal.
Old 10/6/06, 07:21 PM

I prefer to keep the exterior of my car fairly stock but the quarter windows are something that have always not really been a favorite of mine. I don't know if it is the roofline in conjunction with the windows or what but it just looks like something could be better.
So I would say that I usually like the window scoops and I am really liking the Cervinis. Are they easy to install and do they stay on well? I have no idea. I think I would definitley like to try them on my car .
Old 10/6/06, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by simple06
I prefer to keep the exterior of my car fairly stock but the quarter windows are something that have always not really been a favorite of mine. I don't know if it is the roofline in conjunction with the windows or what but it just looks like something could be better.
So I would say that I usually like the window scoops and I am really liking the Cervinis. Are they easy to install and do they stay on well? I have no idea. I think I would definitley like to try them on my car .
I had my body shop install them so I cant say how easy or hard they were to install. They use the 3M double sided tape to install, at first i was ver weary of a taped on part, but after 5 months...(and a few highway speeding trips ), I must say that I am very impressed as to how well they stay on! So far I have had nothing but compliments on them from everyone who sees my car. One thing I had my body guys do was to paint the screens on them black, this way the screens dont stand out as much, and on a dark colored car I think this is definitly the way to go.
Old 10/6/06, 08:30 PM

Thanks s197 V6. I agree it gives them a more aggressive look. I like the tip on painting the screen and wonder how a black screen on satin silver might look. It's something to think about as I believe I will go with the Cervinis soon. Nice color choice with the mineral gray IMO as I had my 01 the same.
Old 10/6/06, 08:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=52453
not my car ... I really think they look great on there.
Double sided tape to install them. If you have a beer or two the job should take you 10 minutes max. They leave a gap in the tape so water drains out.
Old 10/6/06, 08:45 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
The installation procedure is simple.

A small container of a cleaning alcohol based solution and glue are supplied with the scoops. As a precaution add a bottle of alcohol to the list of essentials. Clean both surfaces thoroughly with alcohol then follow the instructions while making sure there are no gaps on the adhesive tape to prevent forced air from getting in and detaching the scoop.
Old 10/6/06, 11:47 PM

Does anybody know about what you could expect a body shop would charge to paint the scoops?
Old 10/7/06, 01:57 AM

I love my Cervini scoops.
I cut out the rear vent also to make sure that they wouldn't fly off at 90mph. We then thought that there may be a whistling sound on the highway but there have been zero problems. Opening the rear lets rain just fly out the back! I also painted the grills gloss black and added the CDC blockouts for the interior. Looks great!
Attached Thumbnails What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?-stang007.jpg   What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?-stang008.jpg   What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?-stang009.jpg  
Old 10/7/06, 06:32 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Does anybody know about what you could expect a body shop would charge to paint the scoops?
$280 for prime and paint for the hood scoop, 2 side scoops, and 2 window louvers.
Old 10/7/06, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
i ordered mine off ebay for 185 to my door step
Old 10/8/06, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

In the end its all personal taste and you should suit yourself.

Some of the fake scoop stuff is too gawdy and tacky looking. I have a Roush hood scoop on my and it looks great and adds to the retro look of this car.

None of the quarter window scoops or louvers do any thing for me personally.

Most of the rear deck lid extensions don't do much for me. I like and did the CDC duck tail.

The CS quarter panel side scoops look good to me and and are well proportioned. Same as street Scene design?
Old 10/8/06, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Figure anywhere between 100 - 200, depending how good they are and what you ask for. One understanding I always get is sanding marks are not acceptable, at delivery or a year later. Some times it takes a while for the paint to shrink a little and then the sand marks bloom. Also all the wax and glaze the use before they give it to you hides a lot of sins until its washed off. If they put on enough clear its easy to buff out later on, but again I would leave that the painters responsibility.
Old 10/9/06, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been wondering about these, with louvers like this over the glass doesn't that make washing the quarter windows a bit difficult?
Old 10/12/06, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Airwolf
I've been wondering about these, with louvers like this over the glass doesn't that make washing the quarter windows a bit difficult?

How do you manage to clean those windows?
Old 10/13/06, 11:54 AM
GT Member

I'm still holding out for hope that someone will make one with functional vents.
Old 10/13/06, 01:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Airwolf
Well uh... basically you dont. But even after about 5 months of these being on the car, as long as you clean the inside of the windows they look fine. Im going to buy the window blackout things from CDC, this way you cant see the glass even if it is dirty.
Old 10/16/06, 11:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Enyo
I'm still holding out for hope that someone will make one with functional vents.
Pony up the coin - I'll be happy to.

Our estimate to do it "properly" complete with electric motors, seals, controls, etc.. puts a pair at around 400.00+, unpainted. Mind you that's if you can sell about 2,000 sets of them. If you can't, the cost goes up for each set less that you plan on purchasing...

And to be honest, like I mentioned in our thread on ours, I've driven the car with the glass out - the wind noise from the turbulence the greenhouse creates does not make for a fun ride inside on a highway trip. While it sounds really cool to have "functional" airflow vents, the car's design does not require, nor is it helped by them in any way allowing air to flow. If you want to help airflow, a splitter forward of the B-Pillar would reduce wind noise exponentially, and aid in keeping interior air trapping to a minimum, but it's not "cool" so nobody does it...

I'm not trying to steal your thunder away here, just pointing out some of the facts that go into something like this. There's a lot of things I'd like to make for the car just for the "wow" factor, but they aren't products people would buy in enough quantity to justify the investment in making them - heck, even some of what we do now the bean-counters hate...even our new louver design is a big risk, especially since there are so many to choose from already.
Old 10/17/06, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Marcello....I appreciate your comment here:

...even our new louver design is a big risk, especially since there are so many to choose from already.

But I must say, your prototype design of an actual replacement quarter window is stunning !! By comparison, all of the others look "tacked on" (which they are of course), yours is what Ford should have done. I'll be honest, I wish that you would have considered the 12 slot version (as per the originals) but this is a very close 2nd for looking factory.

I had the MRT version which I liked, but after a year it just didn't cut anymore and I took it off. Your version goes the extra mile and it'll do great I'm sure.

One question - can you talk about expected installation, durability of the installation, durability of the materials, sound deadening quality of your materials (the plastic vs the factory glass) or any other specifics that aren't mentioned on the SHR website or here ??

Thanks, looking forward to this one !!!! Mark

Quick Reply: What's the thinking on quarter window scoops?