05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

VVME HID Kit Installation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/07, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VVME HID Kit Installation Problems

Hey all, I just bought the vvme HID kit for my stang. The problem is that the instructions are pretty much useless unless you're fluent in Chinese. I've been going through the posts on this kit and they all say it is an easy install with a tip here and there, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a step by step walkthrough install a la TacoBill around here somewhere? TIA
Old 11/11/07, 06:22 PM
Cobra Member

man that stinks,i just ordered the kit from them to. is it that hard? im brining it to a chinese guy to install them,if i cant do them myself
Old 11/12/07, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I imagine if you have a good knowledge of the wiring system and what all the individual pieces of the kit do then it wouldn't be as hard, but I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. The instructions are in Chinese with bad translations and the pics are generic so they aren't relevant to this particular car, so it makes it a lot harder.
Old 11/12/07, 02:14 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I am in the same boat and was about to post a thread. I have a good idea of how to wire everything up, but I was hoping someone has a DIY guide or tips on how to route everything neatly.

The brackets for the ballasts are very flimsy and I have doubts about using them to secure the ballasts.

AFAIK Kevinb120 bought a VVME kit but he hasn't responded to my PMs or emails. Perhaps someone else could ask him for assistance and post it here.
Old 11/12/07, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't installed HID's yet but here is a diagram.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=66122&page=9

I think its post 177. Hope it helps.
Old 11/13/07, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Hm..I was wanting to order a kit from them in a couple weeks
Old 11/13/07, 03:59 PM
GTR Member

It took over 14 days for them to ship me the kit. They were exaggerating when they advertise 3-6 days air express...
Old 11/13/07, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

That's weird because I got mine in only 4 days, guess I was lucky.

Out of frustration today I went down and got an estimate to get them professionally installed....$260.00!!!! I thanked them for their time and left with a quickness. For $260.00 they'll sit on a shelf and collect dust until I get this figured out.
Old 11/14/07, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

If you can forgo your highbeams, order the H13 kit from XenonDepot.com. I ordered kits for both our and the in-law's GX470's and they are 100% plug and play. Install time was less than a half hour with no cutting or splicing anything. My in-laws just sold their GX a month ago and it took all of 15 minutes to take everything out and plug the original H13 halogen bulbs back in. Their bulbs are also the correct focal length so that the beam pattern is correct.
Old 11/15/07, 06:04 AM
GTR Member

I have one of those Phillips/Hella-style ballasts and was wondering how to hook up the power for the ballasts. Do I put the tabbed connector over the small pointed metal tab on the ballast, or does it go over the square/blocky tab on the ballast? I've seen it connected both ways and the instructions aren't worth crap.
Old 11/16/07, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

So this thread is not working out as I had hoped. Was hoping for pics of what wire goes where (especially the one that needs to be spliced), step by step walkthrough, etc. Any of this out there?
Old 11/17/07, 04:25 AM
Cobra Member

This is what the kit i ordered said about the install

"Our Kits are designed for direct plug and play. We give you extra long protection, and the smallest ballast of any kit available.There is no wire cutting, no custom fitting and no stress. Just plug in each connection. No cutting or splicing of wires is required. Fits all vehicle types and comes with everything needed to convert to HID! "

Thats from the vvme web site. So what your saying is that's totally false?

i'm going on 7 days with no package yet and it's still being sorted in china !!!!
Old 11/17/07, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, it's pretty much false. There is at least on connection where you will need to splice the wires, and the kit is easy plug and play only if you know exactly what you are doing. The installation instructions included will not help the novice much.

Like I said, I got mine in 4 days which I thought was pretty outstanding, but it sounds like there is a big variance in shipping times from one person to another. Longest I've heard of so far is 14 days.
Old 11/17/07, 03:33 PM
GTR Member

Based on this pic from Stangmods, I wouldn't even bother:

http://www.stangmods.com/PhotoGaller...ductCode=00909

The ballasts look like the same Chinese ballasts in the VVME kit. The jumble of wires looks intimidating but it's really easy to install. I plan to install the VVME kit in my 00 Crown Vic but I will be eliminating their relay and use my Hella relays.
Old 11/17/07, 03:55 PM
Cobra Member

just got the kit in!!!

My kit is direct plug and play !!! i dont know what kit you guys got but there was no splicing in mine. i called vvme to ask what was up with my product and they said it will be at my house today (didnt belive it) but there it was at my door. i also asked about the competitors and ALL THE KITS ARE THE SAME !! they just have the direct polug and play ones (dont know if that's true) but i do belive they all come from the same place just diferent boxes like the rep. told me.

PICS WILL BE UP SOON

VVME
Old 11/18/07, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by touring
My kit is direct plug and play !!! i dont know what kit you guys got but there was no splicing in mine. i called vvme to ask what was up with my product and they said it will be at my house today (didnt belive it) but there it was at my door. i also asked about the competitors and ALL THE KITS ARE THE SAME !! they just have the direct polug and play ones (dont know if that's true) but i do belive they all come from the same place just diferent boxes like the rep. told me.

PICS WILL BE UP SOON

VVME
Very glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you got better directions than I did. Can you post up some detailed pics showing what wire goes where?
Old 11/18/07, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

ill post the pics up of the instructions but kevin's write up is everything you need.
Old 11/20/07, 12:34 AM
Bullitt Member

After searching the net and asking questions and finding nothing I'm finally at the end of my rope with this kit. It's now up for sale in the classifieds section for $115.00 shipped, which is $17.00 less than if you bought it from VVME. Hopefully someone with more wiring knowledge than me will pick it up for a bargain and put it to good use.
Old 11/20/07, 02:46 AM
Cobra Member

are you joking ? what color did you get? ill take it off your hands
Old 11/20/07, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

4300K, let me know

Quick Reply: VVME HID Kit Installation Problems