05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

V6 to GT grille conversion

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05 | 07:39 PM
GT Member

tres i tried to post the fusebox file in pdf but its to big sorry. are you talking about the one under the hood. it comes apart very easy. and the four wire lumes unhook as easy as well. i thought you were talking about the one at the smart box.

also i agree with D. the guy needs to get real not everyone is going to have a good experiance with his kit. i hope he doesnt make his living selling them.
Old 8/1/05 | 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

Guys, thanks for the vote of confidence. The seller wasn't rude in his email to me, he just said he had seen the review and that it wasn't very flattering. He is correct, it certainly isn't flattering. But I wasn't trying to trash the product either, I was just laying out my personal experience since no one else has done it regarding this kit. He just sent a much longer followup explaining that he has sold many kits and has only had a handful of returns. He says I must have done something wrong as he has no trouble popping the grilles in and that he does it all the time for dealerships. Perhaps I did do something wrong, but if I did it is probably an indication that the instructions need work. I followed the instructions exactly before giving in and making the relief cuts. He also said that some of my observations are personal preference (wiring, etc.) which is true, but I don't think I portrayed them as anything else. He says the wiring is designed to be easy to install for anyone. That it is, but I still have a serious problem with the lights being hot all the time. I can guarantee everyone here that I would definitely leave them on accidentally and drain my battery

Anyway, I have intentionally not posted his emails here because I don't post anyone's comments without permission. But the emails have not been rude at all, just a tone of disappointment that I didn't have more positive things to say. I don't blame him, but I do stand by my comments. For better or worse, this is what I went through to install this kit.

Tom, I went to the fuse block inside the car, the one behind the passenger footwell panel. I would like that underhood schematic though. I'll send you a PM with my email address. Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 8/1/05 | 09:48 PM
GT Member

yea ill send you the fuse block under the car and the smartbox as i have all of them in pdf format
Old 8/1/05 | 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

You Da Man! The owner's manual leaves much to be desired when it comes to this kind of info!
Old 8/5/05 | 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I want to bump this thread up. I was on the fence about installing the V6 grille conversion or going with the Saleen HID. I couldn't justify the $1100 for the HID, so I opted for the grille with fogs. I just finished putting the kit from 't2auction' in my Satin Silver V6 tonight. It turned out really good and I have no regrets having done the upgrade. The installation overall took me about two hours. The instructions were clear and concise with illustrations. They also offer tech support Monday through Saturday, but I didn't need it. The grille is mounted with four stainless steel screws in the two bottom center tabs and in the top side tabs of the GT grille. T2 cuts all the remaining tabs off cleanly and professionally. I have to admit that I was somewhat nervous about cutting the bumper cover to accommodate the new grille, but took the plunge anyway. All of the V6 grille tabs with the exception of the two on the bottom are cut off. T2 also requires relief cuts at the lower corners, two approximately 3" U-shaped sections. The fit was pretty good. The sides match up to the angled pieces next to the headlights very well, but there is a little overhang over the bumper and maybe a quarter inch gap underneath the length of the grille. You'd really have to look closely to notice it. This may be a blessing in disguise, IMO, as I always had problems with water continuing to come out from between the bumper and grille whenever I washed it. Nothing's getting stuck in there now. I liked the fact that I was able to use the GT switch. I wasn't too crazy about the toggle switch in the V6 switch. It didn't have a nice stock look to me. I'd like to find how to cancel the fogs when the high beams are on. That's my only concern right now, as there's probably a law here in Illinois that I could get dinged with in the future. I recommend this kit to anyone looking to do this upgrade.

John

2005 V6 Premium Coupe
Satin Silver Metallic
'Samantha'
DOB: 5/27/2005

Magnaflow single axle-back stainless muffler, full-size matching spare (yes, it fits in the well), GT foglight conversion, auto-dimming rear-view mirror w/compass and temp, K&N drop in filter
Old 8/5/05 | 11:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Awesome, you have any pics on how it turned out? Their pictures are convincing, but it'd be awesome to see real world results
Old 8/6/05 | 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll take some today. I had to clean her up and get her out of the garage. I'll post them later on.
Old 8/6/05 | 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by StangerX@August 1, 2005, 10:04 AM
Of course... wrestling the rights to do that away from Ford might hold everything up.
I think Ford set a precedent when they started violating that guy's patents on the MyColor thing. Make your grille.
Old 8/6/05 | 10:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jfrayzier@August 6, 2005, 9:08 AM
I think Ford set a precedent when they started violating that guy's patents on the MyColor thing. Make your grille.
That "guy" had a patent on an idea which barely resembled My Color. He's a patent attorney who has a proven track record for filing obscure patents and trying to make a buck any way he can.
Old 8/6/05 | 10:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Tres Wright@August 1, 2005, 9:46 AM
Jack, I think it's illegal here in Texas too. I go to a local inspection station every year, I run the headlights/ taillights when they check them out. I figured if they asked about the fogs I'd tell them they're just for decoration (not functional). But it's annoying that the wiring harness doesn't have the legality issues incorporated.
I'm not sure how the law is in the great state of Texas, but in Virginia if they are for "decoration", they must either have the wiring to them disconnected or have the bulbs removed.

If they have bulbs and wiring, they are NOT for decoration according to the law and will therefore fail your inspection.

Also in Virginia (though this is probably never checked) all forward-facing lights on a vehicle MUST be wired through the taillight circuit. It is illegal for any forward-facing lights to be on without taillights on.

This law was implemented back in the days of the illegal moonshine running. Those guys would be outrunning cops and the cops couldn't see them because no taillights were on. It is for that reason now that all forward-facing lights must be wired directly through the taillights in Virginia.
Old 8/6/05 | 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I uploaded my pics to the Car Domain site:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2074859/1

Check out the conversion and let me know what you all think.

:drive:
Old 8/6/05 | 12:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by panamajk89@August 6, 2005, 2:27 PM

Looks great! I ordered a GT grill from T2 this morning also. And it's all your fault! Thanks for the pics and review.
Old 8/6/05 | 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The kit's great, the car looks great! However, I need some help here with something purely aesthetic. I want the little foglight indicator light to illuminate when the fogs are on. I found a wiring diagram on one of the Mustang forum sites referring to the smartbox, pin number 2, that I have to jumper to from pin 6 on the headlight switch. The wire is db/wh. Where's this smartbox? I'm uploading the image I saved, but it's kinda hard to read. Can anyone else clarify this information so I can complete my work? Please help!
Old 8/6/05 | 02:56 PM

Originally posted by panamajk89@August 6, 2005, 1:27 PM

Looks good, I'm in no rush, so I think I am going to hold out to see the street scene kit, but if it doesn't satisfy, I think I could live with this kit. Do you have a link to ebay for the kit?
Old 8/6/05 | 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by braalewi@August 6, 2005, 3:59 PM
Looks good, I'm in no rush, so I think I am going to hold out to see the street scene kit, but if it doesn't satisfy, I think I could live with this kit. Do you have a link to ebay for the kit?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Ford-M...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 8/6/05 | 03:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just checked it out, it looks good. Really close to how they advertise it. I think I could live with it as well.
Old 8/6/05 | 03:13 PM
GT Member

smartbox is on the right under the kick and i thought i sent you the wire diagrams in pdf?
Old 8/6/05 | 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by afixer@August 6, 2005, 4:16 PM
smartbox is on the right under the kick and i thought i sent you the wire diagrams in pdf?
No, didn't get them in PDF. If you have them, I'd appreciate if you could send, panamajk89@gmail.com. Thanks for the direction!
Old 8/6/05 | 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ManEHawke@August 6, 2005, 4:15 PM
Just checked it out, it looks good. Really close to how they advertise it. I think I could live with it as well.
Thanks for the compliments! I've had some good looks at it today. Even the wife thinks it looks cool, even though she didn't notice the difference at first, LOL! If you go with it, I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 8/6/05 | 03:20 PM
GT Member

ok here they come i sent you about 9 files that should help
i have to go help a friend email me if you need anything else. that pick you have by the way was mine. thats how i wired my car.

Quick Reply: V6 to GT grille conversion