05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

V6 to GT grille conversion

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/05, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day I first went to a lot and looked at Mustangs many months ago, there was a V6 on the lot that had a GT grille installed on it and it looked great. The only thing I didn't care for on the V6 was the plain grille, so I decided right there that if I got one, eventually I'd do a grille conversion. I did buy one, but then the Pony Package rumor started around, so I held off waiting to see what it would look like. I really liked the initial pictures and thought I'd go that route. Then when pictures of the final production version finally came out, I didn't like it as much. The giant honeycombs in the grille bother me, and the driving lights are too small for my tastes. So, back to square one :P I just ordered one of the eBay grille conversion kits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-2005-Mus...1QQcmdZViewItem

I've heard a lot of great comments about this one. Once it arrives and I get started on it, I'll snap some installation photos and post them here. Doesn't sound like it'll take more than a couple of hours to install
Old 7/18/05, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

congrats! cant wait to see it and hear how the install goes
Old 7/18/05, 03:15 PM
GT Member

for sure... let us know how it turns out. W/ pics, please
Old 7/18/05, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

You bet, will be sure to take plenty of pics. Sounds like the only real issue anyone has had with this kit is getting the grille into the fascia, some people have reported it going right in while others have struggled a bit. This grille is supposed to me modded to slip right in, but I'll let ya'll know what happens.
Old 7/18/05, 10:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Awesome, can't wait for you to get it. I too have been considering that same one. They have a switch in the manner I'd like it to be.
Old 7/19/05, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Have they done anything to address the gap between the grille and the bumper? I'd consider going that route if they have, but the reason I've held off was because I don't want to see gaps and fitmant issues.

Good Luck on that install, and DEFINATELY get us LOTS of photos during the install. I can't wait to see it!
Old 7/19/05, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by StangerX@July 19, 2005, 6:50 AM
Have they done anything to address the gap between the grille and the bumper? I'd consider going that route if they have, but the reason I've held off was because I don't want to see gaps and fitmant issues.

Good Luck on that install, and DEFINATELY get us LOTS of photos during the install. I can't wait to see it!
I hope to hear a lot more on this. I've read several other posts on here concerning this conversion, but I don't remember seeing anything about this kit. Does it look right and fit correctly? My main concern is that I want it to look stock.
Old 7/19/05, 07:32 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it still overhangs the lip at the bottom and you have to shim the hood up. arg why cant they just com up with a true fitting grill!
Old 7/19/05, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

That little overhang just burns me. I Love the factory setup, but I can't handle that. It's a blatant imperfection to me, and I'd feel PO'ed every time I washed and waxed if I had to see it. To those that don't mind, it's a nice look.

Good Luck Tres. Look forward to seeing some good quality pics of the install.

Edit: I took the liberty of mocking up a crude little illustration of the "gap". I always misunderstood the "gap". It's not really a gap. It's an overhang.
[attachmentid=27872]
Old 7/19/05, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by StangerX+July 19, 2005, 6:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangerX @ July 19, 2005, 6:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Have they done anything to address the gap between the grille and the bumper?
[/b]

It's my understanding that there isn't a gap, but there is an overlap where the bottom of the grille sticks out a bit over the bumper fascia at the bottom. I've looked at a bunch of pictures of it and I've seen one up close in person and frankly I don't see what people are fussing about. It looks factory to me.

<!--QuoteBegin-braalewi
@July 19, 2005, 8:23 AM
I've read several other posts on here concerning this conversion, but I don't remember seeing anything about this kit. Does it look right and fit correctly? My main concern is that I want it to look stock.
[/quote]

There have been quite a few posts about this particular kit on various Mustang forums. Most people have reported that it installs easily and looks great. There's been at least one person that really struggled trying to get it in though. That person did admit they weren't a "car person", so it's possible that this is a project that is not for the timid I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, but I'll report if there is anything tricky involved in installing it.
Old 7/19/05, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by braalewi@July 19, 2005, 8:23 AM
I hope to hear a lot more on this. I've read several other posts on here concerning this conversion, but I don't remember seeing anything about this kit. Does it look right and fit correctly? My main concern is that I want it to look stock.
Why not just wait for the 06 Pony grille to become available and put that on your 05?
Old 7/19/05, 01:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DiamondBlue@July 19, 2005, 10:25 AM
Why not just wait for the 06 Pony grille to become available and put that on your 05?
Some people(including me), think it looks like crap.
Old 7/19/05, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

I don't like the look of the pony grille, either. I think if you replace your front bumper with a GT bumper you can put the stock GT grille in.

Anyone who knows different, please correct me if wrong.
Old 7/19/05, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I was up on the Pony Grille until I saw final production pics of it. If they had made the honeycombs the same size as the stock grille I'd be on it.

== I think if you replace your front bumper with a GT bumper you can put the stock GT grille in.==

Some people have done that. Casco sells take-offs from Saleens, you can get the whole bumper/ grille/ light assembly from them pretty cheaply (already painted). I like my V6 bumpers fine, so I'm just doing the grille
Old 7/19/05, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Jimp@July 19, 2005, 2:21 PM
Some people(including me), think it looks like crap.
Not a fan either. I want the current V8 look on my V6. I guess I could overlook the "overhang". From pictures it doesn't seem that obvious unless you are staring at it up close. Guess it depends on what you are willing to settle for. I did like the swith however.
Old 7/23/05, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm borderline on the pony package. Great idea, but was the execution of that idea up to par? Maybe. If its easier and cheaper than a GT grille and fits right in to my V6. Then its worth the less work. If not, then I'll just have to wait for a good GT grille replica that fits.
Old 7/23/05, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Crimony!! I was hoping to get the grille by today to work on it this weekend. Well, it didn't arrive so I sent the guy an email asking if it had shipped yet. It has NOT! Argh! He said something about waiting for wiring harnesses, sounds like it won't ship until Monday. Oh well, I'll try to summon some patience
Old 7/23/05, 08:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That blows, I was excited for you to get it and share with us.
Old 7/23/05, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to burst any bubbles but I bought my new Mustang Friday. They had a couple of V6 cars they just added the GT Fogs and Grill to. On top of that they added a aftermarket body kit and rims they looked horrible. (Dealership RICE)

I looked closely at the Grill and Fogs and there was a hang over the front valance. It didn't look good at all. I don't know if it was just installed by idiots or what. :scratch: The body kits they had on them didn't fit either the paint didn't even match. A side note too they were asking $27,000 for a base Mustang with all this crap on it. Anyway I hope yours fits better then the ones I saw this weekend.

Can't wait to see how it goes I may be doing something like this too the 05 Style or may hold out for the 06 kind. Good Luck
Old 7/24/05, 09:36 AM
GT Member

the overlap would not be bad if it went the whole way but since the angels are off it basicly comes to more of a point so it overhangs anround the last 4 to 6 inces. it just dosent look right.

Quick Reply: V6 to GT grille conversion