05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

TRUNK LETTERS DONE

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PHATTZZ STANG@June 28, 2005, 9:03 AM
My Car has 1968 Ponie's on the fender's, 1965 Ford lettering on the hood, 1967 Mustang letters on the Trunk and 1968 Script Mustang on the dashboard. That is called Old School consistencies.

From one retro badged GT to another, nice job. But be careful when you're driving down the highway with both doors wide open, people might see the "inconsistencies" between the lettering on your inside door sills and the outside badging Some people eh??? (oh, oh....there's that Canadian slang again).

Have fun - Mark
Old 6/28/05, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Original Sin@June 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
From one retro badged GT to another, nice job. But be careful when you're driving down the highway with both doors wide open, people might see the "inconsistencies" between the lettering on your inside door sills and the outside badging Some people eh??? (oh, oh....there's that Canadian slang again).

Have fun - Mark

I'll be sure to take your advise Mark lol......
Old 6/29/05, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the retro look they give!
Old 6/30/05, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Your letters look great
I have been thinking of doing the same thing on mine. I also know someone who does vinyl graphics and have been tempted to have him make me up a stripe to go on the deck lid like the ones on the '69-'70 Mach1's but without saying Mach1. I did a quick chop on a pic of my car, don't cringe, this is not final, I was just messing around
I still need to refine it to fit around the 3rd b-light, make the letters smaller, do some thin edge stripes, like the original, and get the turn-downs right. The mustang letters would be cut-out of the vinyl so the body color would show through. I am thinking of maybe making the letter cut-outs the same size as the chrome letters so that after looking at a while, if you decide to, you could put the letters on and not see tho body color. Once a file is created for this, they could be made in any color and I may be able to get them for a decent price. And because their vinyl, they could be removed pretty easy. And since this is all done on the computer, the letters could be any font, I can probably find one to match the door sills.
What do you think?
jeff
Old 6/30/05, 04:42 PM
GT Member

This looks great. I'm concerned about how the heck I could get the letters straight and proportional, and how would this go on a well waxed surface?

thoughts?
Old 6/30/05, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by mustp51@June 30, 2005, 2:37 PM
Your letters look great
I have been thinking of doing the same thing on mine. I also know someone who does vinyl graphics and have been tempted to have him make me up a stripe to go on the deck lid like the ones on the '69-'70 Mach1's but without saying Mach1. I did a quick chop on a pic of my car, don't cringe, this is not final, I was just messing around
I still need to refine it to fit around the 3rd b-light, make the letters smaller, do some thin edge stripes, like the original, and get the turn-downs right. The mustang letters would be cut-out of the vinyl so the body color would show through. I am thinking of maybe making the letter cut-outs the same size as the chrome letters so that after looking at a while, if you decide to, you could put the letters on and not see tho body color. Once a file is created for this, they could be made in any color and I may be able to get them for a decent price. And because their vinyl, they could be removed pretty easy. And since this is all done on the computer, the letters could be any font, I can probably find one to match the door sills.
What do you think?
jeff
I think it looks great !!!
Old 6/30/05, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kyle are both the hood and trunk emblems stick on? One more, are they metal? Thanks
Old 7/1/05, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by lwing18@June 30, 2005, 4:45 PM
This looks great. I'm concerned about how the heck I could get the letters straight and proportional, and how would this go on a well waxed surface?

thoughts?
I don't know how phattzz stang did his, but if I did it, I would put down a piece of masking tape at the exact height that I wanted the top of the letters at across the deck lid. Then I would measure out the precise spacing for the letters and mark it on the tape. You could use modeling clay or lo-tac double-sided tape to temp place them to make sure it looks right. When all looks good, you can clean the area where the letters will stick-on with rubbing alcohol or wax/grease remover. Stick the letters on lightly at the marks you made on the tape, look at it and double check that all is good then press the letters down tight. Then peel off the tape, shine everything up, and enjoy it!
Here is a quick pic to give an idea.

phattzz stang, not trying to hi-jack your thread, just tossing out some ideas to help people duplicate your great job!
jeff
Old 7/1/05, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice! Thanks Jeff.
Old 7/1/05, 11:17 AM
GT Member

Great ideas, Jeff. Thanks.
Old 7/1/05, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by mustp51@July 1, 2005, 10:24 AM
I don't know how phattzz stang did his, but if I did it, I would put down a piece of masking tape at the exact height that I wanted the top of the letters at across the deck lid. Then I would measure out the precise spacing for the letters and mark it on the tape. You could use modeling clay or lo-tac double-sided tape to temp place them to make sure it looks right. When all looks good, you can clean the area where the letters will stick-on with rubbing alcohol or wax/grease remover. Stick the letters on lightly at the marks you made on the tape, look at it and double check that all is good then press the letters down tight. Then peel off the tape, shine everything up, and enjoy it!
Here is a quick pic to give an idea.

phattzz stang, not trying to hi-jack your thread, just tossing out some ideas to help people duplicate your great job!
jeff

Great explanation
Old 7/1/05, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

Kyle, great job!

I was trying to remember the name of the guy that gave his decklid a similar treatment, then he chimed in...it was Mark! Great minds think alike. You both have good taste. Keep up the good work.
Old 7/2/05, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 1, 2005, 5:55 PM
Kyle, great job!

I was trying to remember the name of the guy that gave his decklid a similar treatment, then he chimed in...it was Mark! Great minds think alike. You both have good taste. Keep up the good work.

Thank you
Old 7/2/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 1, 2005, 5:55 PM
Kyle, great job!

And thanks from me too Chris!!!
Old 7/5/05, 11:36 AM
GT Member

I did mine exactly as Mark did his, and I have been very pleased with the results! Thanks again Mark for being the guinea pig for all of us!